Modders, please populate the Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Associat0r, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

There are a lot of newbies on Steam wondering where the mods are. It would be great to have the Workshop populated soon, so that newbies can get a better first impression and have a central place for obtaining mods.
    The workshop has many advantages for existing users and leagues as well, such as auto-updating of mods and many others as explained by Marcel Offermans.

If you want to learn more about the Steam version of rFactor 2, it's highly recommend to check out some of the guides there, one of which explains how to publish content to the Workshop.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  2. dylbie

dylbie Registered

So can anyone clarify for me...

Is the Steam Workshop affiliated to ISI? So like the ISI forums, things which are 'slightly less than legal' are NOT allowed?

Or is it more like rFactor Central/F1Classic where anyone can post anything, regardless of where it's come from?

3. Manav

Manav Registered

As long as you follow the STEAM conduct rules it should be OK:

So basically you can do what you want and upload "Sponge Bob Square Pants Underwater Tracks with Rainbow Roads".

If for some reason someone disagrees with you and have reason to believe that you are violating the conduct rules they can simply flag your content for "violation of steam conduct rules'.

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

going by those rules there will be very little modding content allowed in the workshop

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Short version...

So wild guess and me not being a lawyer, yeah I with you JB, that is a lot of ANYs lol :)

"Any" copyright can be interpreted at the lower end of the scale for example Jim Pearson's Adelaide, Dundrod and Isle of Mann or VLM's tracks.

Yes as Manav points out you can do what you want.

I think sometimes though we shoot ourselves in the foot. ;)

Why is it no one rips VLM, if we did they would leave free modding altogether, like Ralph Hummerich did and joined a developer.

6. Manav

Manav Registered

COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. The carriage of persons or property for any fare, fee, rate, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit.

As discussed in this thread CLICK HERE if content is created from scratch, and uploader is not financially benefiting from it, no problems.

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Goodbye quality mods...

8. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Happy to support and upload content, but it doesnt work for me.. Followed all the guide, and i login fine .. but i get an error "Failed to create new workshop item (Access Denied)
    Interstingly the lines before say login ok and authentication fine.

So i googled it.. A lot of people doing content discovered.. :"You have to own the game on steam"

I checked the error log (below)
    [2015-11-23 19:59:50] Loading workshop items for 0 installed apps for user [U:1:39174132]:
    [2015-11-23 19:59:53] [AppID 365960] Create new workshop item for AppID 365960 : 18446744073709551615 (Access Denied)
    Which seems to hint that i may need the app installed.. (But not definitive)

Well i am seriously NOT going to buy the game a second time, just so i can upload my content.. Surely there is another reason, but i cannot fathom for the life of me what it is.. I have checked my metadata file counteless times.. (Copy below if anyone can spot some error)

Or i have to do something else in steam to allow me to upload content in the first place (Agree to some upload commitment somewhere ???)

"workshopitem" {
    "appid" "365960"
    "publishedfileid" "0"
    "contentfolder" "C:\steamcmd\CONTENT\HMSP\content"
    "previewfile" "C:\steamcmd\CONTENT\HMSP\preview.jpg"
    "visibility" "0"
    "title" "Highlands Motorsport Park"
    "description" "Highlands Motorsport Park is a motor racing circuit in Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand. It was opened on 30 March 2013. Highlands Motorsport Park is a permenant fixed circuit consisting of 5 varying layouts of length and complexity. It annually hosts the Australian GT Touring car Championship final with other varying local events throughout the year. It is considered by most drivers to be one of the best racing circuits in AU-NZ with modern up-to date facilities."
    "changenote" "Version 0.99b - Revision August 2015"}

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  9. yoss

yoss Registered

no rf2 steam license , no workshop upload possible , that s happen to me .AS i buy rf2 on steam the workshop publishing work .but may be it s pure coincidence

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

That's friggin funny.