Modders, please populate the Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Associat0r, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I guess someone (not you) spoke too much without even checking.

It is a relief that at least there is one common place for both steam and non steam users. I wonder if an entry to the remote content could be automatically implemented linking to the steam storage URL. That would be caring about the whole community.

For leagues it is a big pressure to move to steam due to the fact of having to use latest build if we want to benefit from the new people getting rF2 through steam.

This is our main concern. If ISI proves that new builds will receive a more thorough testing and a faster bug fix if a build goes wrong for whatever reason, we would be glad to move to steam.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

2. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

With Remote Content we mean the tab in the non-steam launcher to download content as shown in this video, which is now replaced with the Workshop in the steam version.

3. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Steam would most probably not allow that.

Btw, is the non-steam remote content hosted by ISI, or do authors have to host it themselves?

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I hosted my content. Users do it. iSI maintains his content and 3PA

5. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

Ah , i get what you mean. I have to look at it when i am back . Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  6. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

This is a good point... if I'm not wrong, in Steam Workshop content creators do not need to care about mod hosting.

Just move content, I think is so easy, and both ways can live together with no problems.

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

They need to actually upload the full track and fill in a text file. It is easier to upload to remote content

8. Miro

Miro Registered

We had a league race recently and the league admin uploaded the skin/car mods to steam. Subscribed and downloded and never have to bother with it again for the rest of the season, that is brilliant IMO.

IMO it's no brainer to host the mods on steam. Simply bc everything is in one place and fast and easy to grab plus if you update your conntent it gets autoupdated for everybody. Isn't that the biggest problem of the past? Your mods get treated as if they are a part of the core game conntent. And steam downloads seem to be insanly fast.

Never thought I'd say it but I am quite happy with the move to steam. :)

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

IMO this is nice but it can be dangerous at the same time...

If the workshop gets filled with all the particular mods that leagues use it will definitely convert into a mess of versions. As a track modder and league admin I create lots of versions of cars and tracks.

For example for implementing drs zones, adjusting vehicle features to match championship needs...

If all these could go in a private section of the workshop controlling which steam users have access to it it would be great for leagues.

10. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

I think i was wishing for Steam and especially Workshop support since rFactor 2 was still in early beta.
    Both titles are heavily based on modding but the hosting of the content was always a mess, thats why I always hoped that ISI would move to Steam. Previously the mods were always hosted on slow mirrors, AD infested file hosters or small sites were you had to register just to download one track or car just to see that it was the wrong /old version after slowly downloading it.
    Now it's just one button and everyone has the same updated version with fast downloads all the time and it can simply be shared with one link and not multiple mirrors.
    Share the link, hit subscribe and ready. You can even create Collections for leagues so that member can download all the needed content in seconds. One click on the Collection and every league member is always up to date with both the main program and the mods.

11. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

And you can do that. Just make an account to befriend only those that are allowed to access the content and set the content visibility to friends only.

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What I find amusing is that certain people are crying out for more content for rF2 (as if we don't have enough to race on right now) but then start to moan that there will be now too much to choose. from. You can't have it both ways!!

For once, take off your whineypants and look at the glass half full for a change!!!

13. Domi

Domi Registered

Is it possible to upload non-licensed mods to Workshop?

14. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

15. Domi

Domi Registered

Thanks.

16. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Modders...pls start dumping the goodies in the workshop! Thanks in advance!

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So can people confirm that there are cars which are in the RF2 Launcher but not in Steam Workshop?

Hopefully that can be fixed as it doesn't really make sense that Steam users still need to go checking the Launcher for additional content.

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

So can people confirm that there are cars which are in the Steam Workshop but not in RF2 Launcher?

Hopefully that can be fixed as it doesn't really make sense that Non Steam users are not able to use the workshop.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't tell ET anything guys, make him buy a second copy.

lol ;)

I don't mean to sound sarcastic mate, honestly but isn't your time and opportunity worth more then the 40% off cost ?

I mean you intelligent , gifted bloke who has most to gain from ability to crossover input from yourself to yourself , No ?

ie: You could then run different tests no-steam vs steam yourself offline/online for future benefit, even finding things others don't.

Got to be worth 50 bucks, especially to someone like you. ;)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hahaha I'm not sure if you're mocking my previous post or being facetious or what but it does make sense. Allow me to explain:

Steam Workshop is supposed to be a repository for 3rd party mods that don't need to go through an approval process from the game developer (ISI in this case) just like rFactor Central, Race Department, NoGrip, or any other website out there hosting mods. The RF2 Launcher, on the other hand, is only official content and some other content that ISI approves of to be placed in the launcher. Therefore not having mods in the RF2 Launcher which are in Steam Workshop is understandable - maybe ISI does't want to "officially" approve certain mods, or there could be too many mods to check and approve (thousands in RF1s case as an example) but on the other hand, anything that ISI does approve for the Launcher should also be placed in Steam Workshop since Steam Workshop is supposed to be a repository of just about any and all mods rather than just select ISI approved ones.

That's my personal view of it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015