Modders, please populate the Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Associat0r, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Before uploading anything to steam I would like to know the following.

What will happen with actual remote content in the launcher?
    I hope it disappears and something will be done so that non steam users have access to the workshop content as well.
    If I am not wrong, steam users can access remote content.

It would be ridiculous to maintain two different places.
    As a non steam user I will not feed anything from which I will not be able to benefit.
    Furrthermore, I didn't need any instructions to upload to remote content. This workshop thing is much more complicated.
    It requires downloading an external app and fill a text file for each component you upload.

This move to the wrokshop is IMO a fancy thing. It is not practical.
    If I am not wrong you cannot even separate tracks from cars in the workshop!!
    I really prefer to manually download updates and use the one I want.
    I really prefer mod manager to manage and filter stuff.

The move to steam made by ISI is clearly a seek for new customers rather than something to benefit "old users".
    Whoever who thinks that ISI's first priority are present customers is quite blind. We are a second or even a third dish.
    Those wonderful promotions for newcomers forgetting about people which have supported rF2 from the very beginning is quite significant.
    Denying the possibility to upgrade to lifetime in better conditions than newcomers to those that maybe didn't have the money to go for lifetime at that time is not caring about customers.
    Forgetting about leagues actually using older builds and forcing them to change their policy if they want steam newcomers in their championships.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Maybe true, but the disaster begun much earlyer.....

3. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Steam users have no remote content tab anymore, they all go through the workshop and non-steam users keep their remote content tab.

The benefit is the growth of the rFactor 2 userbase. Right now the Steam users are wondering why the workshop has almost no mods.

The workshop allows auto-updating and the downloads are much faster. Steam provides lots of bandwidth. It also has social features so people players can easily recommend mods to their friends, or see what others have as favorite etc.

Yes you can, but ISI somehow didn't to do that yet.

The majority of users prefers auto-updating.

You still can manually install mods in the Steam version

That's not true, I'm an old user and plenty of other old users have moved to the Steam version for its benefits.

Also not true.

Maybe we could all donate something money so that you can buy the lifetime version.

iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Stock Car Extreme also don't allow you to run older builds.

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

As a casual users I really approve the move to Steam and the workshop. I don't have to struggle anymore with a bunch of .rfcmp file, check if I have the most recent version, install the new one, delete the old one, backup my packages for safety, etc. AFAIK all buttons like Remote Content, Local Content, etc. don't appear anymore in the launcher and you only have the "the "Steam Workshop" button. I have some packages in the packages folder like usual, because they don't exist yet in the WorkShop. I really hope Creators will move content in the WorkShop as soon as possibly as I only have to subscribe to a mod and voila!. As seen in my picture below, the one I subscribed (or auto-subscribed, thanks ISI to avoid selecting manually all ISI stuff!) have a little star near the name, the other ones are my local package content. It's easy, simple, user friendly, perfect for my needs IMO.

View attachment 18609

Saying that I understand the problem for leagues and synchronization of a specific rF2 version or mod. I'm not in that World, but agree it could be a problem...

5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I reply within your post

6. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

There are now around 5330 rF2 users on steam. How do you know the remote content will die?
    Not wanting to make the workshop grow, will be detrimental to the future growth of rF2. The majority of the user growth will come from Steam from now on.

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I don't know if remote content will die. I am asking about its future with no response so far. I would be glad to hear from ISI about that.
    I would like to know if they have any plans to merge this already divided content site so that I can have access to the Workshop.
    Any other thing would be dividing the community. But as I said, time will tell, and until this is clarified I will not feed the workshop. Others may do what they please.

5330 · 50 € = 266500 €. Not much to support a company during already more than 5 years.
    I would expect rF2 to have way over 25000 users to be sustainable.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There's no point estimating revenue. We don't know the lifetime/standard split plus the yearly renewals, and now the new rF2 Steam purchases being brand new users or "returning" users.

9. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

There is no dividing the community. Steam Workshop is just an extra option, while the remote content stays the same.

I can do it for you if you want.

10. Taril

Taril Registered

Definitely hope the workshop gets used. It would be great to be able to easily install mods with it!

11. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

+1

I like how remote content and mod manager works... but Workshop is just better when we talk about autoupdates and easy management. I need to get used to It, but I think is a great addition. One click install, one click uninstall.

Meanwhile, we can still use both methods, I do not see any problems moving content to workshop...

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Agreed. I have contacted feels3 several times in the distant past. Each time, being the honorable person he is, he felt that he would some day get time to tweak his tracks and finalize them, just as he thought he would have time to finish his master creation.

I think it well past the time that basic fixes can be applied to his tracks. No alteration of art, just technical fixes, including AIW. Release with full credit to feels3 and note only what has been altered. Those who want to remain puritans can not download or install. The rest of us can enjoy those tracks in the spirit they were intended.

I highly doubt feels3 wants his tracks to remain hobbled forever. He is too busy creating awesome tracks and track artwork for his employer. But if he does, he can come and say so. Worst-case scenario, a modest amount of updating is wasted. The tracks are too good to ignore, though.

This is the same advice I gave about Lester. Fortunately someone fixed it. So far, the author has remained missing in action. No harm done to anyone by polishing the last 1% of a true work of sim racing art.

13. ArkanHell

ArkanHell Registered

As old rfactor 1 & 2 user i dont have any problem with manual install of mods, but i know there is a lot of people good in the track but not with the computer, a way to single click install and keep updated mods helps to this people, dont need so much time for the uploader its free and the mod can be installed by the classic method, Please modders, support workshop :D

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm glad to hear that it is possible to have categories in Steam Workshop (eg. Cars, Citcuits, etc.) so hopefully ISI get on that but what I really hope get's added - and I'm extremely suprised the option doesn't exist - is to sort all Workshop items by whether you have them or not.

I don't know if it's a Steam thing or ISI thing (I'm betting it's a Steam thing) but I was talking to two others on Steam yesterday and all 3 of us were wondering the same thing. You can sort by popularity, date (past 3 months), date (ever), and a few other barely useful categories but you can't simply sort by subscribed/unsubscribed. I tried looking everywhere because I literally couldn't believe that option doesn't exist, in-fact I'm still a bit skeptical of it not existing - I mean, it has to be somewhere - but I still haven't been able to find it.

16. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  17. hwangm

hwangm Registered

+1 workshop is amazing so, Im there most time im on steam, it's a time saver and not to mention uniformity where everyone will run the exact same version.

18. MrBaker

MrBaker Registered

+1
    It would make things so much easier.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

20. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

As a Steam User I STILL have access to the remote content. I was able to install my beloved mods which i cannot access via steam workshop, so i dont understand the panics.