Modders, please populate the Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Associat0r, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

There are a lot of newbies on Steam wondering where the mods are. It would be great to have the Workshop populated soon, so that newbies can get a better first impression and have a central place for obtaining mods.
    The workshop has many advantages for existing users and leagues as well, such as auto-updating of mods and many others as explained by Marcel Offermans.

If you want to learn more about the Steam version of rFactor 2, it's highly recommend to check out some of the guides there, one of which explains how to publish content to the Workshop.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

+100

was abt to suggest the same. Currently theres 69

3. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Actually there are only 8 true 3rd party mods, of which only 4 have been added since launch, from just 3 authors.

4. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Noted...yes.

I hope modders will start submitting the mods soon :)

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Workshop is a great idea. If it had been used since day one of rF2 release, by now it would be the central portal for mods. Now unfortunately many of the original modders (feels3 etc.) are long gone so they won't upload any of their content to workshop. Plus only a fraction owns the game on Steam yet, so modders cannot rely on workshop only as download base. Hopefully the situation improves, but it will be a long process.

6. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

I'm sure they could be contacted to upload their work.

Nothing prevents modders from uploading their work to multiple locations. Also do you have to own the sim to upload a mod in the Workshop? If not, they could let people with Steam test if the mod downloads properly. If you do have to own the sim they could let someone upload it on their behalf.

If we want the sim to grow more popular we will have to embrace Steam. The Workshop is a massive advantage for rF2 right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  7. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Pray hard for that...

8. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Seems I can't publish my plugins to Steam though?

9. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Im so pleased by the workshop feature that i didnt have to click download and install or worry abt the directory anymore. Just one click and subscribe and im fixed for life.

Its super. AC is praying for it. now rF2 have a head start....pls use it

10. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Only .rfcmps and RaceEvents (.rfmods) for now.

11. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Exactly

Confirmed
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/1-2-steam-workshop.25178/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/assettocor...es_anyone_know_if_ac_will_get_steam_workshop/
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/496881136913322772/

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So get another guy to upload the file. What's the big deal?

13. stonec

stonec Registered

I'd rather wish feels3 content was re-adapted to latest build and HDR before it was uploaded there. All the bugs with transparent trees etc. makes these great tracks seem worse than they are. I would be up to improve them myself, but I'm cautious to work on someone else's stuff without permission.

14. Manav

Manav Registered

Guys - I've been requesting the creators of MODS that we run our private server to provide STEAM support.

In the MOB Sub Forum I would suggest you politely request the same. Some of them are quite busy and will get back to you eventually and if enough people start embracing the Workshop we will have massive community on STEAM!

Ciao

PS: I've already requested Yoss creator of Apex Modding GT3 and Petros creator of MakCorp 1991 Group C to upload to STEAM.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya of course we want to show respect to others but if we can't get a hold of a modder or if he is / they are too busy, or they just don't want too then we don't really have any other alternatives (unless, of course, it involves legal stuff like a mod of another game's content without permission like AC tracks or something then of course that's a different story).

16. tax

tax Registered

Hello Guys,
    I was wondering if you kind modders are planning to copy your work also to the Steam workshop and when.
    It's a convenient feature that allow players to subscribe a mod that gets updated and installed automatically by the system, directly for the player.

Except for some exceptions , like for example the black ui and a couple of cars and circuits, there's stll no content in there, except for the ISI made stuff.

Are you planning to move your mods pages there ?
    I think that for Rfactor 2 the Steam workshop is a huge leap forward if it will be properly supported.

Thanks

17. Helium

Helium Registered

+100

The steam workshop is an awesome way to reach out for casual "customers". rFactor 2 is not particularly easy to deal with (not saying it's rocket science but it clearly is not optimized to be very user friendly) and using the the workshop as a user is easy as f$%k.

Another very important point is that an empty workshop can even have negative consequences for the game. If I think about buying a game and there is a workshop I always check it out to see if there is an active community. If it is empty I automatically deduce the community must be crappy and very often steer away from the game. So instead of boosting the number of users an empty workshop can lead to many people thinking rF2 is actually dead and losing interest.

The workshop clearly means additional work for modders since nonsteam downloads need to exist as well (I guess most of the core community will stay non steam to be able to use older builds for leagues etc.) so I can understand modders being skeptical. But publishing stuff on steam workshop is quite easy and if you have done it once it's a matter of a few minutes to do it again. The chances of reaching a lot more users is clearly outweighs the additional work imho (but I'm just a user :D).

18. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

Uploaded my EVE Matra mod there a few days ago. Very easy to do, there's a guide on how to posted on stream. Only thing I noticed is that multi-component rfcmp's won't work so I had to repack it as a singe-component mod. But that was also just 5 minutes of work.

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

klaasvh,

Did you repackage it too? Multi cmp's suck :)
    When getmodding one, you have to explode it and upload vehicle and sound... Would be sweet if it could be updated as one package...

20. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

Yea that's what I did. Vehicle, sounds and talent files in a single component package.