Good reasons to keep a Non-Steam ...aka 2nd Copy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DurgeDriven, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

1. So your kids can drive with you.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

C'mon ! ( I have a few )

lool

2. Run a Copy on 2nd PC / laptop

3. TJones

TJones Registered

More freedom and flexibility, you can coose which ISI-contend you want to have on your installation.
    rF2-Launcher does a very good job here, really nice piece of software.
    More savety with a second instalation, for league racing for example.

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You can do this with one single copy.

You can do this with one single copy.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You can have multiple installs of different builds on the same machine. You can feed all from a single packages folder.

6. Skan

Skan Registered

The price to do so at the time of this post is reason enough to me. I do not have 2 copies but if steam was something I was interested in, I'd be all over it.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

How do you watch mates lap on one while you work in developer mode on another huh ?

You can do all TJones said with a steam copy ? really ?

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Not as far as I know, you'd have to be logged into Steam on both computers at same time which Steam doesn't allow.

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I think I misunderstood the thread.
    I am maintaining as well non steam as first and unique license because you can do all those things.

The "aka 2nd copy" which I understood as "also known as 2nd copy" confused me. A non steam version is not known as 2nd copy. Not at least for me. I thought you were suggesting people to get a second copy of rF2 in steam maintaining the copy of the non steam one. I found this absolutely stupid and confusing since you really do not need 2 copies. If someone wants to donate to ISI go ahead but a second copy offers nothing. I can work in dev mode with my old laptop and watch online with my regular one. I can have multiple installs and builds. I do many things and I don't miss anything regarding this items. If I wanted to race my kid online I would by a regular non steam lifetime which would give more money to ISI than using STEAM. You can migrate later. I don't think they will get their fee removed in those cases.

I would have called the thread "reasons not to move to steam" if that was the purpose.

Coming from you it is quite usual that people misinterpret things. I really doubt you want or care to be understood. You have been told many times but you simply don't care. You simply seem to like to draw attention that way. You open a thread to ask for reasons, and after giving one you say you have more that you don't post. It seems you like to open a new debate instead of making a useful thread.

I guess I didn't like your "huh".
    I think you should talk without being so provocative unless you like this type of replies. huh?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

You are being provocative yourself. No need for picking on each other.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sorry I did not mean anything by it, as normal.

If someone takes something from what I say there is nothing I can do about it, I am not going to sit here worrying or debating it.

Besides I can speak for myself, never needed help before, don't now, but thanks anyways and for the reminder we can all be nicer at times. ;)

Any-hows ...umm another reason.

2 Drivers names , they are tied to the licence I presume ?
    That way you can have separate Ranks for example.

If you buy it with a throw away credit like I did you can also have owner and driver names as one.

12. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

Lets face it at this intro price point, and the full priced one really, rfactor2 is a bargain however you look at it. One of my sons will become interested at some point so of course it will be a very good excuse to upgrade my hardware and he gets the hand me downs. ( I will read with interest Spinelli's adventures with his new wheel if it ever turns up ) The good thing with steam is you simply purchase it as a gift and then do nothing until its required as I have done. If it is not going to get used its 50 bucks, not 500 or more and many are happy to spend thousands on hardware alone. this is just petty nitpicking over a few bucks. I am sure my son would happily trade it for a 1st person shooter of a greater monetary value that he will get bored with in a few days, in the event he doesn't want to demolish the old man on the track. I am staying with the old, I have rfactor1 from steam and hate the constant updates involved. I am old enough to appreciate being able to make my own choices, not just have to take what I am given especially as its doubling up on a lot of content I already have. I certainly wouldn't change to steam in the next couple of months as there are always niggly problems that need to be overcome.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Best reason so far.

I guessed some of this months ago, do some people think I am that slow. lol

All I was trying to do with thread is alleviate going out and spending $75 Aussie dollars on Wednesday for my Steam version by thinking up some more positives.

Life this time, sweet.

You know if I had brought life years back I would be in no better off position today.

In fact not having the option to go Steam straight away saved my bacon.......from making the same mistakes that some others now regret.

So that is another positive

;)

14. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

+multi command line. :)

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sorry you lost me or I am gravely missing something. :)

To watch a running online session while I test a offline mod with a single copy is impossible whether I have 2 PCs or use command lines or not.

:confused:

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Good reasons to keep a Non-Steam - your Monitor doesn't get all misty when you load it up...

#PoorJoke!

17. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'm not going to get a Steam copy. I don't see the point plus I don't like a monopoly which Steam is surely on it's way of having.

If ISI decides to update from Steam only, oh well. Then I'll have a vintage version of rF2 from that point on.

Edit: I know this is a joke thread, I just dont' understand all this hype surrounding Steam. That's all. :)

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

If you have 2 PCs you can do that. Have you tried? Or are you guessing and also filling this thread with false statements?
    My second PC is the first one where I used one or two activations. However rF2 provided less than 20 fps. So I had to buy a new laptop with higher specs. It is the one I use atm. I can run rF2 at both of them. I am also positive sure that this was confirmed by Tim some time ago.

I would expect that you cannot get online with both at the same time. I haven't tried but I will and report later.

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

20. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I made a little Typo.. it's +multiple. But i don't know if it still works. The option in the launcher "Auto Close Launcher" doesn't work. It always closes. :eek:

Another useful command line parameter is “+multiple” (minus quotes), it allows you to run multiple rFactor 2 instances

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.