Long in the Tooth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoothJoe, Nov 13, 2015.

1. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

In a sim, is it possible/probable that the driver's age has a large effect on performance on the track just as it has in real life racing? I don't believe there are many senior citizens running at the top levels. The loss of reaction time and vision and endurance take their toll in the real world, so it would make sense that they do also in a sim like RF2.

At 63, I struggle with RF2 and it occurred to me last night I may never reach the levels I did running the F1 Crammond games years ago. What do you think? Can age present challenges in the sim world that are potentially insurmountable or does the fact that the sim removes the physical punishment mean an "old timer's" glory can last longer than in the past?

2. Emery

Emery Registered

At 53, I already know I'm past my peak on many things, however I hope that my wisdom & life experience compensate. The main thing is whether you continue to enjoy what you're doing. If you HAVE to be the fastest, then you're in for some mental pain.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes, thats absolutely the case.
    Raced in a private room many times with pcars, where a subscriber of a friends twitch-stream was present. He was 16. I am nearly 40.
    I thought "pcars,- pfff. Im good at rF2! So whats up?" . Well, it turned out that he could do the (really) fast laps much quicker than me.
    Like he did time XX.xxx at lap 4, 5 or six and I needed 20 or more laps to archieve the same (on more or less unknown track).
    He said that he didnt knew the track at all (what I doubt). Although in longer races (+6 laps lol!) it turned out that Ive had the longer resistance and won the race.
    You can much quicker realise the situation and react when you are young.

However, take the sim as it suits you!
    Do want you want, at the speed you want!
    Therefor is the good AI. (and bad drivers, lol)

4. Miro

Miro Registered

I do think it also depends on what cars you are sitting in.
    If you are in a F1 high precission race car where it is much harder to extract the last 1% or few % ;) it might be an issue.
    Momentum cars tho I don't think it is much of an issue. Experience, patience, situational awerness and being able to keep your cool in a race is just as important IMO.

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

There's a guy in his 60's who has been doing iracing for years and he's fast. His last name is Sandman, I'm sure there are others around here who have heard of him.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

I remember a son of one of our community members. He was 15 and most of us were 50+ at that time.
    He was faster on most tracks and he was driving in a very fair and gentle way.
    And also his father, sitting next to him when he was driving, told us, that he don't know how his son can do these laptimes.
    The only excuse that made it a little bit easier for us to accept it, was to say that he never drove a real car and so he could be much more unstressed in his driving behaviour. :D

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Check the GT Academy Graduates.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/academy/graduates/

Look through the ages there is a fair spread of mature guys, they must have beat 100's of 1000's of 16 year olds to the punch.

But no I do not see any 50 somethings either ............ hehehe

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

For sure oldtimers will last much longer then in real life :)

But in my experience I've noticed that younger peeps (with talent) have the upper hand because they are able to focus more and longer, have more stamina (we still need that) and can concentrate better by default. And have better reaction times I suppose.

But its a mixed bag imo, 'they' are more prone to mistakes, hasty decisions, radical approaches and going over the limit allot more, and maybe even have more issues with psychological pressure and their emotions (ehehe)

I'm 46 and not the fastest driver out there (by default not due to age) so I needed longer periods in testing to get up to speed and tap into my experience and 'tricks' to get the upper hand, if possible.
    Using our experience to not get into trouble on-track can be just as important to end up high then just pure speed, heck, I've won championships vs aliens and everyone else simply by staying out of our stewards office and not getting any deductions. how cool is that :)

But as for reaching our old forms, I don't think so. We just simply too old and the (talented) youngsters generally don't need more then one season to learn from their mistakes.

But we can still have loads of fun, maybe not fighting for titles but that's the beauty of age as well, is it really that important?
    But fun we shall have, in the middle of down the grid, who cares. heck, there are even old-geezer leagues out there!

9. jimortality

jimortality Registered

I think we should have an over 45s club

10. Hectari

Hectari Registered

What track is this based on?

:p

11. jimortality

jimortality Registered

All of them :D

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hi H :)

[​IMG]

"Pants" Ring

lool

13. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Sorry, was a bad pun joke referring to 45seconds, i'll show myself out :eek:

14. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Haha D, what title are these for? Surely not rF2?!(yeah i see the release dates lol)

Conversion time! :D

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hillbilly track is old people, kinda looks like a elongated Hernia.

p

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The 8 second oval ( Pants Ring ) would stuff old people, rattle their brains.

They would need new underpants.

lool

17. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I disagree, older people can focus longer......hang on a sec...

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

For Old people can't find the pit exit.

[​IMG]

;)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Thing about sims today overall I think they are easier to drive relatively fast.

Grab a old GPL Ranker or PnG Pro, see how quick some young pup adapts to Nords in those.

Won't be in one session like in AC or PCars.

The old timers will be kicking your arse for months.

;)

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

On the whole I think young I think of this..........

The kid has some talent there give him all day, but given a limited opportunity his attitude matches his age.

Same approach in a new car circuit online would take people out.

A mature driver would have got more feedback.