rFactor 2 Now on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 12, 2015.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Where is the difference then? Besides the fact that you have a choice....

When this is needed to reach that goal, then you did something wrong!
    Still not logical for me, sorry.

2. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Hey guys !

Just recevied my key right now, downloading is in progress.

I am really happy, it worked flawless.

I still don't understand what is the fuss about the cache file and the download... in other game you have to download all thing and you can't really uninstall anything that come to the game.
    ISI decided to give advanced people a choice and new people a painless experience.
    So I need to say: Great work to accommodate everyone !

And good job for rFactor, the great sim.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

That would solve the duplicate content issue, but you would still need to keep all base content rfcmps in cache folder. If you'd delete one, Steam would redownload it next time. So it wouldn't allow to uninstall (from in-game list) any content like the current solution, unless some marker was added to indicate whether each rfcmp file is in state "installed" or not.

Obviously ISI would do it differently if they designed everything themselves. They are limited by the Steam API and what it offers, most ideas that have been discussed here are not implementable due to Steam limitations.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe they`re more limited by themselve...in other games (e.g. Skylines) it`s possible to switch on/off workshop items through the game menu.

But there is a simple way, to get rid (unsubscribe) of all workshop items (if you wish) without unsubscribe one by one. Just go to the workshop with your browser (e.g. FF), go to workshop items, then to your subscribed objects page, open the console (on most browser its F12) and past this script into the console:

Usage is by your own risk! For me its working.

//Edit: just want to add: you w`ll see the changes after reloading your workshop library. You have to use the above sript for each page of your workshop library.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would imagine the manifest files would achieve that (you could have them exactly where they are now, and just not have the extracted data files sitting next to them). Anyway, it's a moot point as it's not what we have and there's been no indication of doing that sort of thing. A single method for steam, that steam allows, is probably the main focus here and there's obviously no solution everyone's happy with there.

Change is change, people tend to not like it.

6. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Guys sorry if it was replied before, but is it possible to add a track in Steam Workshop while I have only the regular rF2 installed? Must I migrate to Steam version to upload content?

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

8. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

9. John Cheall

John Cheall Registered

Ok it has been nearly 2 hours. I filled in the form for my Steam key. I was told it had been sent but then silence, nothing, no email. Is there a problem? Where is my Steam key please? I need to race!

10. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Please use this email: steam-up@rfactor.net

Thanks

11. Gecko898

Gecko898 Registered

Hello all, its been almost 2 hours since I requested my steam key and I still don't have it? how long does this process normally take?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not that long normally. See the post above yours.

13. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I have non steam RF2, with 12 months MP access which runs out on 17th. I want to move it to steam, I do not want to pay for the game again which I do not believe I have to do.

Do I need to...

1) Email steam-up@rfactor.net and ask them to move it over
    2) Go on steam and pay "Buy rFactor 2 - Online Services Subscription" for £8.99 to get another 12m MP access
    3) Presumably I then download the whole game and all ISI content via steam in one big DL giving me a clean install, and I set all my settings up again. I will sort 3rd party content later.

Thanks. I very much hope to sort this out this afternoon so I can race on steam version tonight.

14. AceLain

AceLain Registered

yes, do the switch to steam using this form ( https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form ) or the email.
    When you receive your Steam key, you need to ADD A GAME to steam.
    After that, RF2 should start downloading to steam (its like 10GB, so it will take some time)

At that point, if you look into rfactor2 on the steam store you should see that you already have the game. Now you can buy the 1 year subscription.

Thats what I did, work flawless.
    You just have to wait for the download to complete and/or steam workshop too. After you start the game, all the content will start to install. After that you will be able to play.

Advise: don't make the swtich 1 hour before a league rae or something.
    Personally, I start the download before going to bed, And lauch the game the next day.

Thanks

Don't forget to copy your /userdata/player and your /controller to steam to keep your setup and all.

15. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Thanks a lot Acelain.

Yes I will switch it over tonight before I go bed with the https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form link.

As for then receiving the steam key, is it automated? Do they still get sent out over the weekend? I am keen to avoid any interruption to my MP access.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again.

16. AceLain

AceLain Registered

personnally, when I made the change I receievd the key right away to my email address... The process seem automated, but some people reported that they did not received their key. So I am not really sure.

17. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

I found this interesting. I went to the steam store, I didn't log in, 'without' using the search bar at the top ( assume new person looking for a car racing game )and searching by tags only I could not find rfactor1 OR 2 at all. The tags I used which I thought I could reasonably expect to find what i was looking for were :- simulation, racing, multiplayer, driving and windows.

Surely that should find rfactor thinks me. But, alas, no. I did however find using that search, Iracing x3 , Assetto corsa, project cars, grid2 x 3, dirt rally, f1racing, etc but no rfactor.

I don't like steam, I have made that plain. Although I am stuck fast in the 20th century I would have thought that if you are going to use steam as your "shop" medium you would have ensured a simple search, as I made would find your product, if not on the first page then at least on one of them.

Maybe something someone in marketing should look at?

( I did notice this when rfactor2 first went to steam but thought it would have been sorted by now when there are no alternatives for potential rfactor2 users. )

18. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

For any that may be interested in an alternate method of steam and non steam installs.

Firstly, I NEVER install/download software onto my boot drive, period aside from operating system. Yes I do know most programs use it for some data.
    I use ssd drives of 120 gig, same make. On the first, I install favored version of windows to ssd and all usually used software installed ( browsing, steam, text editing, etc, etc ) to permanent other hard drives, making them available regardless of which ssd you are using. This gives a good base ssd so not constantly shutting down changing/rebooting, etc
    I then clone this drive as many times as I feel is necessary for other and future gaming uses.

By using a hardrive caddy for 2 1/2 inch sata drives so it makes the SSD used like a disk in a floppy drive or cd/dvd drive. I simply shut down the computer, change the ssd to the required one and reboot. No using the bios, same make and size ssd used, Its then a simple matter of installing any gaming software I wish to use....eg rfactor2 steam version. It works as there are "no files" to conflict with each other.
    Package files can be on a common harddrive so no doubling up, just point the launcher there.
    I have all commonly used software available with any drive I use without the clutter or possible conflict of other similar installs.

The price of ssd's these days makes this a very reasonable option.

It rocks my boat.

19. pedrocant

pedrocant Registered

FREEZING game career with steam
    Since Steam happens to me, all the races I've done, either on line or off line, more or less mid-race the game is frozen me a few seconds, and see how your hard drive works, then continues normally. It's something Bad, because race is very easy to have an accident, other than the lap time continues to run, and there are several players in my league with the same problem. Only happens in the race, never in practice or classification. In the old installation (not Steam) I never happened to me, and just happens to me now with Steam. I tried to make the game program files folder 86, making steam in a directory C :, but I still happening, someone knows how to fix it?
    PS: I've noticed that ever happens to me, it is created in the C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ dumps, a file called: assert_steam.exe_20160728080708_1.dmp (each time a different number) when exact freezing, it can be? please help

20. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Same for me, I get sometimes a pause in race too, plus I get the dmp file too. Fine before I moved to Steam.