rFactor 2 Now on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Contact ISI, email addresses are in the support section. http://imagespaceinc.com/contact.php

2. Miro

Miro Registered

Hello, can somebody please explain me how I can join a server not hosted on steam from my steam client? Thx!

EDIT:

Found the solution. Additional ports were needed:

64298 udp
    64299 udp

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
  3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

In my attempts to free some disk space (rfactor install was 40GB), I managed to f*ck something up. After trying to just unsubscribe to mods only to find that rfactor auto-subscribe to them again, I deleted content from the "cache" folder and got more space but things were still installed. After a while I found out that they could not be uninstalled because they were in use of all the different "Race event" mods. So when I uninstalled them, everything disappeared. Well, almost. I don't know why but some ISI content are still installed - which makes no sense. I'm really confused right now. The workshop still says I'm subscribing to everything even though it is not installed. I have tried to unsubscribe and re-subscribe but that did not work. Lol.. I guess a reinstall is the only way to go now, but until next time, WHICH IS THE CORRECT way to uninstall mods in Steam?? :confused:

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

To un-install you just need to unsubscribe from each Workshop item, and it should be gone from the Launcher list. However if you have a rfmod or RaceEvent/vmod tied to it, then it will still be in there, even if you unsubscribe.

It's never a good idea to erase anything from the cache folder, what's happening is it's looking for the cache file and can't find it, so it's in the loop.

First thing to do is close the Launcher, and verify/repair, which will re-download the cache files you erased.

Verify Integrity of Game Cache

Once it's done and has repaired, you'll probably have to unsubcribe from the RaceEvents item to 'untie' other content:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=547589245&searchtext=RaceEvent

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Okay thank you. But I did try to unsubscribe to each items first, but rfactor auto-subscribe to it again when I start the launcher. Will it stop doing that when the RaceEvent mod is uninstalled, or is there something else I have to do?

6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Did you at some point add a Launch Option to rFactor 2 in your Steam Library? It sounds like you might have +Workshop in there, which automatically re-subscribes you to all ISI content every time you open the Launcher.

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

No I have never even heard of that, but for a split second there is a window saying "auto-subscribing to workshop content" every time I open the launcher.

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Did you really unsubscribe to each single workshop item?

9. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Hello ISI. My rF2 annual subscription is about to end and I'm thinking about the inevitable switch to Steam. I have two questions...

1. Can I still pay a yearly subscription on Steam? I'm still trying to figure out if it's more viable to pay the yearly price and hope rF3 comes out before I pay the full lifetime amount in subscriptions.

2. Do we really have to download ALL the content on the first download, and how much disk space is actually needed? The reason I ask is that I'm running a fairly old system. I have a 75GB SSD running my OS and a 500GB HDD which is pretty much full with car mod WIPs in various states. I'm actually worried that before I switch to Steam, I'm actually going to need a new hard drive first to download all the content!

10. stonec

stonec Registered

1. Hm what do you mean by before you pay the full lifetime amount? If you selected yearly option when you first bought rF2, you are stuck with yearly forever, unless you somehow manage to negotiate a deal with ISI to change from yearly to lifetime, but that will cost extra. But in Steam you cannot do this change for sure.

2. Current space requirement is around 12 GB for cache and 12 GB for unpackaged files, so 24 GB together. The second 12 GB you can get rid of by unsubscribing each item, the first 12 GB stays no matter what you do.

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Hmm, do you mean every single workshop item there is? Everything? No I did not do that. I unsubscribed from each workshop item I did not want.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You shouldn't have to anyway. The auto-subscribing message I think is normal* (it's checking for new content I believe; mine's just done it for the Matsusaka circuit), if you were actually being subscribed to all content again then something was screwed up.

I would avoid deleting the cache in future, I know it's 11+gigs so there is space to be saved, but if your game falls over using the auto verify option is a good way to get everything back up and running again - and if you've deleted the cache it'll download it all again. You could maybe move the files to another drive that has more space and move/copy it back prior to verifying/upgrading when you want to do it. But, the fact that your install was mistakenly subscribing you to everything again would have meant you had everything installed, so you would probably save close to 10 gigs just by properly unsubscribing to most content and no longer having it installed.

*I'll check when this download is finished lol

**Edit: Yep, still comes up with a message saying it's auto-subscribing, but doesn't actually change my subscriptions (I unsubscribed from Matusaka) or install anything. So if it was doing that then something was definitely going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Oh dear.... so despite being 3PA Matsusaka isn't part of the game itself (either at all, or because I don't have a fresh rF2 install? Probably the former, though that could change in time I guess) so unsubscribing means completely deleting. Resubscribing means downloading the whole thing again. I've had no issues with steam but this is a little confusing, with now 97% of ISI/3PA content sitting there ready to install and now one that will instantly disappear if I unsubscribe.

*I'd be interested to hear from Marrs/ISI how this will work in future; does new content become part of the game automatically (cache) at some point? Does a fresh install right now include Matsusaka? If so can it be set up so new 'base' content becomes part of the cache? Is that a good idea or forcing a download people may not want? Am I simply asking too many questions? :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  14. Crankie

Crankie Registered

Good point Lazza, why should we down load tracks we don't want and take up space on hard drive.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

You download all base content tracks in every other Steam racing game as well. Although I'm not sure either it's a good idea to include 3PA stuff, soon the base installation will go above 30 GB with all the 3PA content created. AFAIK a fresh install now includes Matsusaka as well, which is an extra 782 MB (cache) + 782 MB (unpacked), equaling around 1.6 GB of more space needed, and the first 782 MB you can't even get rid of.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I brought this up when gasoline alley was released, i don't want it but I was automatically subscribed to it, not an ideal scenario on rubbish broadband when you have other things to download at the same time!

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... so it sounds like existing steam installs don't see it as part of the game package (cache)? Is that right? Does it 'update' at some point and include them?

Still curious for confirmation on how this works over time. If the game has content that comes with it, and that content grows over time, that only makes sense (even if Matsusaka is 50% tyre wall), that's how steam works, etc. But if I have my steam install for a year then need to reinstall, and the stuff I've already downloaded because I got auto subscribed then needs to download again as part of the cache (because I haven't actually got 'cache' files for that new content over the year), unless I go through the workshop/content folders and find them in there and copy them into the cache and put .cache on the end, that's a bit unfortunate.

*And on that note: would "verify integrity of game cache" now download Matsusaka, again, separately, if it's part of the game cache now or in the future?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
  18. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

+1. Worked for me as well.

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Well, I don't understand this at all.. My rFactor2 install is 37GB and uinstalling mods/"unsubscribing" does not free much space at all. At the moment my cache folder is almost 12GB (!), and it is filled with content that is not even installed, for example all the oval tracks that I am not interested in, and I am not supposed to delete files from there?

Before rF2 went on Steam I had no issues with space. Now I am really on the limit.. I seriously don't have space for ALL content :(

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You're stuffed then, upgrading hd/ssd is the only option unfortunately.
    I prefer steam (now) than the original way apart from all this cache nonsense but I've made my point clear on that elsewhere so won't delve into it again!