rFactor 2 Now on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Calm down DD. I hope you above all others know that you are not a typical newbie user. As you said, you've been hosting every day for four years.

And the wait for the updated historics with the glaring reflections problems, etc., is just as bad as the chronic UI problems. What do you think a new Steam user thinks when they fire up the Eve and see what looks like an amateur modder mistake? Bad impression. How long would it take to fix? Not long. When you find out it hasn't been fixed for YEARS, not days or weeks or even months, then the impression is even worse. This isn't opinion, it's fact. Whether you or I are willing to put up with something because we're getting something else that's worth the aggravation is mostly irrelevant. It doesn't change the facts that it is bad business practice, should have been fixed (weeks, months, years ago...fill-in as appropriate for the issue) and chases away new users by the droves.

I would like a bigger and happy user base so rF2 survives and thrives. Silly me.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I don't know what the fuss about the UI is. I can find what I want from them easy enough, self explanatory. The only thing needing changed is a couple of buttons in the main menus and no orange text in the chat window. I am convinced that many of you would still complain even if you had the "emperor's new clothes"!

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'm fine with the old emperor's clothes. Different old emperor, pretty much any UI to come from Papyrus folks. Or GP2-GP3. Or even GTL, GTR2 or F1C (which kept with an adapted form of the general EA Sports UI of the time). The UI and in-game HUD is my version of DD's F3 wishes, haha.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't mind the UI in general, Durge, but the fact that there are skins within skins is the issue. There are two simultaneous things happening. There are multiple car copies to choose from (when they are all in-fact 100% identical cars with regards to everything [physics, sounds, upgrades, graphics] except skins), and then within each of those particular cars, there might be even more skins to choose from if you go to the Tuning->Variants section. Furthermore, the Tuning->Variants skins are only particular to that exact particular car you have chosen, not any of the other 100% identical cars.

There is basically a skin menu/selection within another skin menu/selection all with their own specific skins for each particular car even though all cars are 100% identical cars, lol.

1 single car for every single car in the game, and then from there, you select a skin, would be very welcome indeed. This also has the positive side-effect of all skins auto-downloaded from online play being all downloaded for 1 car, since there's only one "global" car to choose from. Of course if a car has even a single line of different physics, or a single line of different upgrades, or whatever, then it should be considered a separate car in the car-select list.

Particular skins within, and assigned to, other particular skins (car #s) is quite convoluted and just doesn't make sense unless it's some sort of software limitation of the software. For eg. In AC, GT, Forza, etc. (or countless other car games), there is only 1 car to choose from, and from there you get all the skins/paintjobs to choose from. Done.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

UI and skins, well some of us cannot play this game at all after four years of development. Age is what makes things difficult in software development. The older it is, the more deep the roots. :)

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What are you talking about? Updating a physics engine and graphics engine (as-well as sound, well, barely) for 20 years is fine. Who needs new software engines.

P.S. I'm being sarcastic and totally agree with you and that's why there are things in RF2 - regardless whether it's physics / vehicle behavior, graphics, sound, etc. - that still (at-least at times) resemble ISI engined sims from 15+ years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  7. stonec

stonec Registered

UI was revised less than a year ago. If ISI updated it again, probably again in a year's time people would complain the UI is "outdated". With this logic ISI with their 2 or 3 programmers would do nothing else than UI development.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Forgive me if I am wrong but... rfactor 2 is a modding platform, what is stopping people making their own UI to suit their own needs? Not every UI with meet everyone's personal high expectations.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

TBH, i don`t read all pages, forum search doesn`t help...does anyone tried to have a second rF2 installation with steam? Maybe just use a copy of the rF2 folder? I had e.g. several steam installations for Race07. Wondering if this would be possible with rF2, too.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I always thought a better way to do Multi GTL/GTR/Race07 folders was to install Multi Steams.

Hypothetically this is what I would try straight off.

Nothing stops you from installing as many Steams as you like, each has a independent common folder.

1. Start Steam , Log Out , close Steam ( remember don't just close it, exit it in notification area as well )

2. Open steam in web browser make sure you logged off

3. Click Install Steam, download , it will point to your original Steam folder, simply make a new one

ie: STEAM, STEAM 2, STEAM 3 , make shortcuts for each.

4. It will update, when it logs you in to the New Steam after install it will want to do a code verification/email.

5. Steam will load ...it should say rFactor2 is not installed ..............or any other Steam game. lol

6. Now exit the New Steam ( remember don't just close it, exit it in notification area as well )

7. Start Old Steam it will only ask you to add password again, it won't ask for codes anymore.

You should see your rFactor2 installed along with any mods you added.

8. Exit Steam fully, Start New steam, redo password .......try installing rfactor with no mods.

It will default to the new common folder.

BTW:

You do not need to log out of each Steam again, simply close them fully ( see BOLD ) and start the other one.

I just retried this with GTL/GTR on W10 Steam installs, worked fine still, 2 Steams , 2 GTR2's

I AM NOT SAYING IT WILL WORK WITH RF2 but I really do not see why not both installs will search for credentials the same way.

Taking GTR /GTL using nocd out of Steam works, it won't with rFactor2 , I willing to bet on that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for your explanations. Maybe this was the way i did with Race07, but just copied the steam installation. I did a test with GSCE yesterday. Copied the GSCE folder and added the new folder into steam as own game. Works. Would be interesting, if this could work for rF2, too...

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not really getting this Steam Workshop thing...

I just found out about 4 or 5 official RF2 updates. I logged into Steam Workshop and nothing is downloading. I thought we were all automatically subscribed to ISI content???

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

AFAIK you need to manually subscribe to content you want to download, once subscribed the content will be auto updated.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So I need to manually go searching for every car and track update that comes along 1 by 1? Wow. At-least with the launcher method, before Steam, we could quickly see in the content list what we don't have (no checkmark under "installed"). Then all we needed to do was highlight them all using the shift/ctrl button, and click download, done. It was literally like 3 clicks and took literally 5 seconds. So we've taken a major step back now where we have to manually go search 1 by 1 for any/every official RF2 car and track needed to update RF2, lol :confused:

15. Justy

Justy Registered

No I don't think this is the case, at least not for updates. I have had several pieces of content, both ISI created and 3rd party which have automatically updated. I'm not sure about new content from ISI though, it seems we have to search for and subscribe to those ourselves. However, you can follow people (not as creepy as it sounds ;) ), which as far as I can tell, will notify you of any releases from that person.

I personally find it easier, but it would be nice if the Steam workshop could have some search filters to narrow down different types of content (cars, tracks, plugins etc.) Not sure if this is something ISI have any control over. With that said, I just sort the workshop by "most recent" and I can see at a glance if anything new has been released and a check mark indicates if I have subscribed to it. Perhaps not all that different to the old launcher way of doing things in that respect, but, it is certainly not a major step backwards in my opinion.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There's got to be a better way for new content...Like subscribing to a user (Image Space Incorporated in this case) so that we automatically download every car and track by them when they come out. I haven't checked up on things in a month or two. If I simply search "most recent" in Steam Workshop, I bet I'll have a ton of stuff to manually dig through. Imagine you bought a DLC pack for AC, but after buying it you had to manually go search in a repository of 100s of cars/tracks and individually pick out and choose, 1 by 1, each car from the DLC pack you purchased. It's kind of like that at the moment. There's got to be tons of better ways to do this in this day and age.

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

At non-Steam version you also have to manually download and install everything, be it official or 3PA, and updates too. At least at Steam it will update automatically once you subscribe to it. ISI release their content differently to AC, so its not really the same to compare, but I see your point what you want. If nothing else, some better filtering options in Workshop would do the job easier.

18. Justy

Justy Registered

Yes, agree, I like the idea of subscribing to a certain content author, I'm not entirely sure how the "Follow" function in Steam works yet though. I also agree that it would be nice if there were more options, for narrowing down searches for new mods. But this could all be in the hands of Valve/Steam for all we know. I was just trying to point out that the Steam workshop isn't really a step backwards, in my honest opinion.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You may be right, Justy, it could very well be a Steam thing rather than an ISI thing and therefore unfortunately be out of ISI's hands.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Non steam downloads are at the top of page, heaps easier to find and no subscribing.

..............and why do you want anything auto updating anything. ?

That is like trusting Microsoft to do the right thing.