rFactor 2 Now on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 12, 2015.

1. jimortality

jimortality Registered

Ok thanks. I'll just transfer over and keep buying the yearly sub because at 0.75 pence a month, it's hardly worth sweating for. Wow, got an instant key!

2. DA

DA Registered

New Steam rF2 lifetime with other e-mail? Right?

I want to

1. rF2 standard for offline.
    2. Steam rF2 lifetime to online.

P.S. It important for me.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I just got a non steam promo code, used it to buy the lifetime rF2. Do I need to download and activate my account first or I can just send the email and get the Steam key?

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Tim, could you look into being able to use steam wallet for the 1 year subscription? I buy all my steam games via steam wallet and was planning to do this for rf2 each year.

I think i read somewhere in this thread that steam subscriptions don't allow certain payment methods (as it's a renewal system), so is there any thing you can look into that does allow steam wallet for a year multiplayer pass? (that isn't using steams subscription model).

i don't really know how it all works, but perhaps you can figure out something better that will work.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What is Workshop's policy for 'illegal' contents? Mods, tracks, without permission etc.

6. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

7. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

...just my 2 eurocents...
    why ISI don't release official content as free dlc instead of workshop?
    When other modders will arrive all ISI content will be lost in the mess.
    Can you just release official content as free dlc and update them trough steam too?

8. Alexease

Alexease Registered

Steam is great, congrats! THX!
    Activate (life time), download, install, settings are OK.
    The "cache" dir (11GByte!) is erasable?! :)

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

AFAIK the sub with rF2 works how we could make it work, there wasn't any other options available to us.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

ISI is automatically subscribed to, so I doubt that.

11. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Awesome news :D Just one question which could be important in a league environment. What are our options for running older builds? Will the previous build be available temporarily also (through the 'Betas' option in Steam, maybe)? Or will the current build be all we have?

12. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

If you unsubscribe, the content will get and stay removed from the Installed folder (which will save some space), yet the packages will still remain in the cache folder.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  13. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

I don't have/use the email address I used to purchase rf2. How do I get a steam key for transferring my rf2 purchase to steam with the email address I have now? Thank you.

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Well it appears that some have good experience and some have not-so-good experience. No idea why current users bother with Steam because seems like no upside (have to subscribe to all content, lose remaining online days, expected PITA experience at least for some) ; however I see how it can eventually make sense for new users when issues get ironed out. Oh well, I'll stay with the old system for now thank you very much. Obviously, however, we will all be forced onto Steam in one way or another regardless of what anyone says. It's just naive to think ISI will maintain a non-Steam solution if there is only one person left (it will be me) because everyone else has moved to Steam and that movement will be a slow drip drip of new functionality that ISI COULD implement themselves yet will slowly stop doing because they won't want to do things twice or even reinvent any wheels if Steam already has something, etc. etc. so they will say you have a choice but you won't for long.

Perfect example of loss of control everyone was warning about is having to install all ISI content. And already you are hearing "that's the way Steam does it", etc. etc. ; The loss of control by both ISI and users is clear and only beginning. I'll hold out as long as possible. The world is full of tradeoffs. As my graduate school dean always says "organizations are suboptimal". Everything regresses toward the mean, etc. etc. Installing of core content is required because either the system or the lowest common denominator users, etc. etc. No thanks. Best of luck and don't get me wrong. ANYTHING is better than ISI no longer being able to do what they do so if that is why this is all happening then good on ya mates...

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You're racing VEC, where old builds are often used due to new builds having hiccups...
    And if I were to go back to league racing, I would also be interested in such feature... Or being able to have both non-steam and steam going on the same license. I for sure won't buy the game again just for league racing.

16. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Where can we find the Steam matchmaker?
    [​IMG]

When I open rF2 online through Steam I just get the non-steam matchmaker :confused:

EDIT: Ok I found it, never noticed it before. It's in the main steam window, top left: View->Servers, or right click Steam icon in taskbar and Servers is there too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  17. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Downloading now. Done in an hour or so.

Where do we put our old non-ISI RFCMP files? Should they stay in Documents>rFactor 2>Packages?

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Packages

19. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Thanks Bjørn!

20. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered