RF2 minimizes during race

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BoothJoe, Nov 2, 2015.

1. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I've had this happen a couple of times recently on RF2 (Intel I7/Win10/AMD R9380 no overclock/G27/3 screens/Eyefinity/latest Mills track/Eve F3 cars). Suddenly, mid-race the game will minimize to the taskbar. Everything keeps running because you hear the sounds (especially of my car slamming into a wall) and it all returns to normal when the RF2 icon is clicked. This has happened several times, but, of course, not always and not reproducible. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Due to the fact it only started recently I would say it is a keystroke, software or browser crap.

IF ....you only ran single screen I would tell you to run Full Screen Window Mode which won't allow it to go to background without forcing it.

I used FSW for 4 years, smooth, fluid no dramas , no horrid ALT-TAB, you can use things on-top of rfactor2 online while it is running flat out.

Any single screens users not using FSW , at the very least tried it are just plain ignorant. :)

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Happend several times on my system. Most time it was a message from java updater or something else. One time it was the Steam Client wirh an update message next time it was browser pop up from battlelog ....
    Often the reason is hard to find.
    Earlier or later I fortunately found always the reason = solution.

4. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I was thinking it was RF2 related because I've never seen it happen in anything else. I did a search and it looks like it's a common problem across a lot of different games. Culprit in many cases seems to be something running in the background that kicks off...like a scan or possibly an update check or something of that nature.

More research and discovery required.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

An update error in my AVG gave me the same problem. it tried to update ever so often but failing and without any notifications. Any game minimized due to it.
    See if any of those proggy's need updating and make sure they are.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

And I would recommend to close the browser or other, bigger applications when doing a rF2-session!

8. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

9. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

BoothJoe,

I have recently had the same problem, and big time too!, caused me to jump to desktop 4 times last Wednesday during a race and it wasn't pretty!, right now I,m running in "windowed mode" and so far its been ok.

10. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I am in agreement that it's something like Skype running in the background. I don't run Skype all of the time, but I have noticed in the past week or so that Java keeps banging on me to upgrade. So I suspect it's when Java wants to nag me.

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

You have used FSW four years. Mankind thought Hundreds of years that the earth is flat but it was wrong. I have asked you to document your claims before but for some reason you don't do that. Maybe you can do it this time?
    Windowed mode runs through OS sync buffer and adds latency and input lag.

To all you other guys, learn to manage your OS. Windows and program updates is np.

12. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Actually historical records show predominant beliefs of a spherical earth dating back to at least 500BCE, probably significantly earlier. Eratosthenes actually managed an extremely good mathematical approximation of the circumference of the earth in 240BCE. Still, tangent. It would be worth seeing some telemetry to back either claim up. There was an incident a few years back when someone was complaining about RF1 cars snapping too easily and having poor slip curve modeling. He uploaded a new TBC he claimed to 'feel' much more realistic and a whole page or more of people downloaded it, tried it and told him how much more realistic it 'felt'. He then had to sheepishly admit he'd uploaded the original TBC file rather than the modded one and they'd simply imagined a change. I doubt the difference is huge.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015