Night lighting effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, Oct 28, 2015.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hello.
    Just to know,
    if i'm right, in my pictures shown, you can see a shadow processed by lights (in real life ) and not only by sun or moon.
    In rfactor 2 , it's like if it's only from sun or noon to generate shadow.
    am i right?

And, if i'm right, can we hope to have that shadows generated or not in the future?

It's no criticism but i personally lost my immersion when i see cars looking like they "fly" on the road ;)

Thanks

Real road picture

View attachment 18403

Moon shadow generated rf2

View attachment 18404

No dynamic shadows under car (or at all lol )

View attachment 18405

View attachment 18406

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

First thing comes to mind, rF2 is a driving sim and from what I can tell you would not see any of these effects ( or lack off ) whilst you are doing so.

Longford, awesome night immersion but if I worried about shadows off all objects I can actually see as I drive..... well it wouldn't be. ;)

ie: no shadows off posts from natural or artificial light

The calculation and work to do such at Longford would be unreasonable and I think that has more of an affect then a shadow under my car I can't see unless I get out of the car. If you get my drift. ;)

3. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Sigh...i never heard pilots complaining abt unrealistic graphics in their flight simulation simply becoz

it is the least important thing!

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm all for physics 1st, FFB 2nd, sound 3rd, graphics 4th however just because someone is interested in graphics doesn't mean the ISI/RF2 police have to come in and try to bury the OP with "it's a sim, all that matters is the driving" type of comments.

5. Nazirull Safry Paijo

These type of thread are almost saying that ISI is blind when it comes to graphics imperfections and needs ppl to spam the forum abt it. But obviously some are OK with it.

Cant please everyone.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Trollray is asking a legitimate question about graphics. I don't see any trolling in his post. Just because someone asks/discusses graphics of a videogame, doesn't mean the poster is implying the devs are blind, on the contrary: graphics is usually the most discussed topic in videogames.

7. Nazirull Safry Paijo

My comment abt sim is not all abt graphics is legit and shud enlightened Trollray of the difference between game and simulation....
    Its a legitimate reply within the topic.

8. Tony

Tony Registered

Don't be put off by the forum police trollray ;) the graphics could benefit from being pushed up the priority scale, especially as rF2 is going mainstream with Steam

It's come on a lot recently with nicer/more realistic overall lighting & less saturated colours, but there's still room for lighting effects improvement - floating cars at night being one

Another effect that we used to have but is now missing is with the Monaco tunnel - you don't get the "flying into the dark & then coming out into intense light" effect anymore (was there in much earlier builds - 2+yrs ago)

9. QUF

QUF Registered

Maybe they're also limited by directx9 graphics tech with shader 3.0.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Shadow calculation with lots of light sources and highly complex shadow casting 3d models (cars) is just a nightmare for every 3d engine. It should be possible, even in dx9, but you have to live with single digit fps.

A working under car shadow (ambient occlusion) at night would be a nice addition.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nope. DirectX 9.0 isn't the problem nor an "excuse". The following are all in DX9:

Crysis 1

another one here --> www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08ZCrFtCSs

Hard Reset

Crysis 2

Metro 2033

The Witcher 2

Project Cars (DX9 mode): www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzRjFiCBe8 , www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UD-Oj8UsI , www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi6UyXs_RtE

DX9 is still very, very capable as many games prove (DX12 will be the next logical step due to way less CPU overhead and other major technical advancements but DX9 is very, very capable relative to DX11).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

well that second Pcars video sure is interesting considering the PC specs

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I'm absolutely sure I read a comment from the GFX programmer that at least headlights will never cast shadows, don't know about omni-lights though.

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Adding more shadows in rFactor 2 would cause a performance hit, unless you would redesign the engine.

If you compare, gMotor has evolved over many years - it remained the same in principles, but has more and more modern features.
    On the other hand you have big engines like Unreal Engine. This one has not just evolved - it had revolutionary steps along the way, that changed the principles on which rendering engine is based.

I wouldn't expect additional shadows in rFactor 2. Technically it could be done, but it's too much work considering where gMotor is right now.

15. trollray

trollray Registered

Wow.

Ok Just to tell, thanks for your reply but it was a question about the future development and no criticism.
    Maybe i do some mistakes in my language but i never tell that isi is blind !

In fact, i'm in the opposite side of it.
    I really prefer a simulation than a game and Rfactor2 have my best attention.
    Also, i'm no troll but just use that name because of my past in heroïc fantasy games so, no trolling in mind ;)) ( But i like mushrooms yes lol )
    Last but not least, i'm not new in race sim ( i've start with REVS for who knows that first ever sim for me. And remember the graphics :p )

But, yeah, i personally think that ISI have made a huge work in the whole sim for this last months, i've see some real improvements in many parts, also the graphical engine.
    I like realism AND good looking view.
    If we are all fan of race we also are fans of racecars no?
    Seing them well reproduced in graphical and physical is glued for me.

So, saying that, i just want the best for the best sim in my eyes.
    The best promising sim is rfactor 2 (with best potential i would mean )
    So, why not ask for some improvements?
    With all respect of course ;)

Cheers

16. stonec

stonec Registered

Because as few guys responded, it will probably cause a massive FPS loss to have dynamic shadows under multiple light sources (I'm pretty sure DX9 doesn't help the situation either). Even having 24 cars on grid at night with headlights on hogs the FPS quite badly.

Even as graphically advanced DX11 sim as Assetto Corsa hasn't implemeted night racing and I bet that's for a good reason. To support multiple light sources at all is complex, let alone shadows.

P.S. In pic #3 and #4 you have no light source on track so there should be no shadow under car either way.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  17. Nazirull Safry Paijo

I think the engine is capable of doing it. But its abt processing allocation i think. It can be turned on now no prob. Just that some physics calculation hafta be turned off. And the superior rf2 netcode is just superior coz of this.

I think.

18. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

When they're turning, they're looking at artificial horizon, air speed, compass, vertical speed etc. Driving sims depend on visual cues. Most people (outside of this forum) would assume doing those things well was a good idea. Not to mention that anything that might suspend disbelief (that you're not actually in a car and might not get killing driving too fast) could help with the lack of fear problem identified as a difference between RL and sim. But it's all conveniently dismissed with sneer terms like "eye candy" "bells and whistles" etc.

Although to be honest, I really just hate the "toy town" appearance so often apparent. But I have resisted the temptation to post a picture of "Roary the Racing Car" alongside an rF2 openwheeler with the names the wrong way around. That would be mean.

Nothing wrong with the original question btw. Grow up! (everybody).

Think I've had enough of this place for a good while (can you tell) LOL

byee

19. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Without going into a long explanation. Your brain can draw conclusions based on shadows and can easily be fool into transmitting distance, position in a 3D plain, and even color if you mask them properly. Its works peripherally as well, just because your not looking at the scenery doesn't mean its not effecting how you see things relatively.

A legit and honest question, you guys are worst than the people in the LS2 forums sometimes.

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, I also remember Davey Rocket and Johnny Turbo :)