Any Sony Vegas experts here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Oct 20, 2015.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah, those exact settings, but for some reason it looks awful on YT.
    I must've made a mistake somewhere.

2. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Really don't know. You did set ratefactor to 14-16, and disabled resample for all clips before encoding?

I did everything exactly like Tim had it except ratefactor 16. This is my result:

Only thing is the very rubbered areas still look a little blocky, but other than that...

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah i double checked the settings, but I suspect I have have picked a wrong res in the project template.

Your video turned out great. Mine just had giant pixels and 'mud' all over the place after I uploaded it to youtube. I'll give it another go today.

BTW are you running max settings in shadowplay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Yeah max settings. You are probably right, if you try to upload a video that is a resolution youtube can't play, it will resize it and really screw it up. Make sure you have either 720 or 1080.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The only thing I found makes it look bad (with these settings) is rendering to a different res from what I captured with. If you cap 1080p, render to 1080p (and probably have to do 14 ratefactor for 1080p).

I have seen people with better looking videos, but when I ask them for their settings and replicate them, they never worked for me.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I see now what happened..
    I messed up the res settings. How silly. :D

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Go into the properties/options/settings tabs. Make sure render quality is set to high or max or whatever. Make sure everything you can set to max/high is set to it. Make sure to always use progressive not interlaced. Make sure to also disable resampling or force resampling or whatever it's called.

As last resort, also set the render to CPU only. I've read that GPU rendering sometimes can affect quility due to how it renderz or something, I don't know.

Use SonyAVC or MainConceptAVC. I think I use Sony since my final video sizes were much smaller than MainConcept and looked identical on my PC and after uploading to youtube. I use the maximum number of splits or whatever they're called. I think it's 12 or 16. The more "splits," the more my CPU gets loaded and the faster the file finishes rendering. The final video quality, size, and youtube quality doesnt change depending on splits used - only CPU usage and sleed/time of rendering does.

Sorry I was vague and possibly wrong with my terminology, I'm not at my PC ATM but still wanted to try and help.

Oh, and I record from DXTory with that codec that is supposed to be almost loseless but with a much, much smaller file size. It's a very well-known and popular codec. What's it called again????......
    EDIT: Lagarith, that's it.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thanks for your input Spinelli.

Yeah I've been thinking about getting Dxtory for quite a while now, as I've heard good things about it.

9. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Crank out higher bitrate for quality also. If you put it on youtube that is. I've played around with 18000+ in bitrate to get better quality on youtbe. Upon uploading and converting they lower the bitrate, so better pump it up before hand :)

10. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Since this is the first time I have heard of the H264 codec, I was excited to test it out of course.
    The outcome, however, is not very satisfying. The quality is slightly better on YT but the filesize is 4! times larger than what I had before.
    Ratefactor is at 16. 14 was unaccaptable due to extremely large filesize.

I'm using the 32bit version, since I'm using Sony Vegas 9 and I believe it is not capable of 64bit stuff. At least it didn't show up in the dropmenue.
    I think I need to get a newer version of Sony Vegas, huh? Are there any significant changes between v9 and v12?

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Is Lagarith included in Dxtory, or do I have to download it separately?

I must say I'm not getting very nice results atm using Dxtory.
    Huge file sizes and after rendering the videos in Vegas they look choppy and pretty "rough".

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nothing huge, it's the same tool really... But if you have the money, why not?

Filesize doesn't really matter to me... I usually render overnight on most vids, then upload the next one.

13. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thirty something bucks is not too much. Don't need the Pro stuff...for now.

Filesize matters to me because my upload speed is very limited. The trade off between quality and filesize just doesn't cut it for me. Not such a huge difference tbh. At least I don't see it.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nope, it's not included. Download and install/run it from here http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html Just run the installer, done, then you'll see it listed in DXTory.

In the Lagarith options (accesed in DXTory), set it to YV12, and enable multithreading.

Make sure the recording resolution is set to 100% or to your exact resolution. There are even two or three options regarding matching the game's framerate and capping it (may help with smoothness but you shouldn't need them).

Set DXtory to use 2, or 4, or 12 or whatever threads in the advanced options or whatever (a few tabs from the end) and do the quick storage drive benchmark thingy in the storage drive tab.

Youtube "DXTory Lagarith". You should get a ton of results.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Awesome! Thanks a mil. :)

17. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I use for converting and encoding and mux to a container the staxrip framework. It comes also with an open source code for using the in ntel cpu integrated h264 encoder. (boost the framerate of the renderprocess up to x8 or more)
    https://github.com/stax76/staxrip

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

:)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think Bandicam is better then Fraps these days, better bit-rate, smaller sizes.

[video]http://www.bandicam.com/product/how-to-record-skyrim-gameplay/[/video]

Looks pretty good at 720p and that is 4 years ago and it has improved with age where Fraps has remained stagnant. ;)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Don't forget to click the bottom tab ("Project") and set "Video rendering quality" to Best.

Also, go to "File" --> "Properties..." and set "Full-resolution rendering quality" to "Best", "Deinterlace method" to "None", and "Field order" to "None (progressive scan)"

Finally, right-click each of your individual file segments in your video-project timeline thingy and make sure to select "Disable resample" unless you want the video to have all this artificial ghosting-like blur added. You can't select all the videos at once and set this; you have to select each one and do it one by one. Even if you split a video, you need to make sure to do it to each one. There's probably a way to select them all and do it, or a way to have the videos always automatically default to "Disable resample" but I'm not sure how.

That will give you some pretty decent quality without having to do all sorts of stuff. Just record with DXTory (Lagarith), pop the video in Vegas, check a few of those settings off and you're ready to render and upload.

If you're wondering about the difference between the two most used output/render formats - MainConcept AVC/ACC and Sony AVC/MVC - I've done the following comparison:

6mins:10secs, 1920x1080, 20,000 kbps CBR, 30 fps, everything at highest settings (eg. progressive, disable force resample, rendering quality high, etc.)

MainConcept AVC/ACC: = 892 MB
    Sony AVC/MVC: 311 MB

They look Identical to me. I have both videos open in separate players and keep switching back and forth and they look identical.

With Sony AVC/MVC, I use as many "slices" as possible. I did many rendering time, video quality, and filesize comparisons between all "slices" (1-8) and came to the conclusion that they don't make a difference to anything other than loading-up your CPU more and therefore speeds up rendering time. So set it to the max (8).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015