Strange lag even though FRAPS shows 90 FPS?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Racefreak1976, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Howdy,

just now as I was driving around in the Lancer Evo I had this strange lag going on. Fraps is showing me between 90 and 120 fps though.
    I have only few plugins running, Motec, pedal overlay and delta time.
    I never had this before and I didn't change any gfx settings that I am aware of.
    Please don't tell me my gfx card is dying! DON'T!

Here's a short example:

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Is it the same with every combo?
    Temps OK?
    What are the green and purple bar on top right saying? (strg+F)

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Well, I don't know about temps and since the PC is not shutting down by itself, I'm assuming that they are in the green.
    That green bar (Ctrl+F) does nothing. And there is no purple bar. At least I'm not seeing it. Frames are consitently at around 100.
    Tried it with Zandvoort just now and it was ok. Maybe some background update going on earlier? (Antivirus or whatever)

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes, propably something like this.
    Internet-activity can cause weird things in (some) games!

High temps doesn´t mean that computer shut down immediately! It do when everythings lo late! lol
    Do yourself a favour and check CPU and GPU-cooler if it´s dirty regulary! Better for your hardware and better for your nerves! ;)

5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Haha! I did not open my PC since the day I bought it. Roundabout 4 years now. Probably more lol. That's why it is still working! ;)

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ctrl-C is what you want, it brings up the graphics/physics CPU graphs (Ctrl-F shows the framerate [top-right] and/or the graphics memory use [top-left]). The purple bar shouldn't reach the right end at all.

If you haven't opened your PC in 4 years I would definitely be concerned about dust and temperatures, would be worth at least checking what monitoring software you can use to check them while playing.

8. whitmore

whitmore Registered

I have had this problem since build 1008. What i have noticed is CPU purple bar goes 100% for a couple if seconds when it happens. My pc has not changed nor any software in it when problem started. Cpu and gpu temps all under 60deg. Disabled all plugins. Disabled all unneeded services and background runnings apps. Happens both online and offline. All attemps so far have failed and more people reporting similiar each day.

9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

There is no doubt that you are right about that. I have also heard something like "Never touch a working system!" Which has become a mantra to me. lol Actually, I am just lazy. ;)

10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Whoever said "never touch a working system" clearly isn't cut out to be part of the PC Gaming Master Race™. Joking aside occasional maintenance is actually quite important. Cooling performance can degrade horribly and clogged fans can burn out. I do maintenance for a large number of people and I've pulled literal compacted quarter inch thick carpets of compacted dust from the bottom of their towers in such scenarios. Seriously, the dust gets so bad it comes up in a *sheet*.

11. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

The user has deleted the video.

Why did you do it?

Some people in our community are suffering problems which sound similar to what you describe but that now I cannot forward to them to to confirm it is the same problem.

We are using B998 and B1008 seems to solve the problems. It needs to be confirmed since we open the server yesterday night. We have checked that B998 gives an extra fps (+10%) compared to B982 and B1008.

What build are you using?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

12. Led566

Led566 Registered

Same here.
    In my case I really don't know if it is the software or the hardware (OSW device driver) because I've switched to an OpenSimWheel at the same time.
    In fact running without ffb (with the keyboard) cure the problem and brings cpuu bar back to 40%.
    I also try to put the 'Skip update' parameter to 1 in the controller.json but this had only a little effect on the cpu bar ( let's say less than 5% diminution).
    In this condition it is impossible for me to race (online or offline) because i'm going out of real time and my lap times suffers.

I need to fix this!

13. Led566

Led566 Registered

Any idea?
    I've try everything that came to my mind but no result.
    Going back to build 998 is not an option...

14. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Wish there was more that we could do to prompt an answer from the devs about this problem. It is totally spoiling our online racing experience.

I start of with a smooth clean looking game and after a few laps I can see the graphics deteriorating until something decides to create lag. I have monitored my CPU an GPU temps and it is below normal running averages. I am hoping that my upgrade to a 6Gbit card will cure itand hope we do not find out it is something in the game code.

15. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I too am experiencing some lag. Its an occasional stutter happens every 6 to 12 seconds it seems like even though I'm holding 60 to 110 FPS. I noticed it in my previous online race. I see it now in offline mode too. Happens at all the tracks and cars.
    Using AMD driver 15.201.1151-150821a-188665E with 7990 6GB card.

Haven't tried any other drivers and if this isn't GPU specific I see no need to. Plus I'm on windows 10 and its a pita to install a different driver set. Ive tried turning on V sync but I get controller lag with my G27 with it on.

16. whitmore

whitmore Registered

I have run PC performance as trace while running the game and although the purple CPU bar goes to 100% trace log shows maximum cpu utilisation for RF2 at 28%. Total cpu utilisation 40% while purple bar at 100%.

This problem really is a PITA. All efforts to diagnose so far have failed. If I roll back build I will not be able to race with online leagues. Cant wait to get a solution.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think rF2 is showing you how it's going in each 'frame' (400Hz) in the graph, how much utilisation there is per second isn't really that relevant.

I wonder how many with issues are on i7 or similar, possibly with hyperthreading or turbo boost on?

18. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I'm using an I5 with no hyper threading, I am overclocked though, perhaps I could set everything back to default and see what happens, but this have never effected me on any previous builds. My full specs below.

Intel 4690K @ 4.4GHz 1.275vcore
    Corsair H100i CPU liquid Cooler
    Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Mobo
    Samsung 512GB SSD\ Western Digital 2TB HDD
    16 GB Corsair Vengence Pro DDR 3 @ 2100MHZ
    Gigabyte AMD 7990 6GB Dual GPU @ 1100 MHZ core/1575 MHZ mem
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio card
    Corsair 1200 Watt
    Black Hawk Ultra Enclosure
    Windows 10 home 64 bit
    Logitech G27
    Thermal lake Ventus gaming mouse.

19. Led566

Led566 Registered

Rogue22 and withmore, have you try use the keyboard and not the wheel?
    Because in my case with the keyboard cpu goes back to 40%.
    It's definitely an FFB issue...

20. whitmore

whitmore Registered

I doubt I could use a keyboard long enough to do a proper test. Good thought though. I can say that when under AI control purple bar goes way less