Historic Tracks Updated to 2.0

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

There sure as heck wasn't an object on the road, visible. I'd have noticed it even if I still ended up hitting it, it's not like those little stakes are that invisible. IF it's a tire temp issue it never showed up in my longer runs on the same fuel load - that was on ~lap 4 in a stint and I've a done few 20 lap stints in that same car. I can only guess something oddly specific caused the physics to puke or there is something not rendering on the track / debris isnt clearing properly.

And who wants to drive the Brabham? It only does 180, need moar speed!!!!

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's not just the saturation, or lack of, of colours that is the problem. The problem is the entire "core" graphics/lighting engine seriously and desperately (in my opinion) needs an overhaul. Things look flat, boring, and dull from a lighting perspective regardless of how saturated or not your texture colours are and, not to mention, regardless of how nicely detailed/modelled the textures are. Things still have a flat and dead look even in your pics with more saturared colours.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Maybe it´s a monitor(calibration)-thing, as I for one don´t have this!
    Green is green, yellow is yellow, red is red. Not "punch in your face-red", but it´s reasonable coloured (for me).
    Different gfx-driver have influence on colour too..... don´t know what it is on your side, but you shouldn´t act as if you have the holy grail of hardware / settings / opinions!

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for screen shots
    Amazing how subtle changes in lighting ( contrast saturation etc) make a big difference

Remember each users monitor settings can be set different thus causing different users to see the same in-sim visuals differently
    There can be a large difference due to individual monitor settings imo

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks Track Team for the updates, noticed Monaco has lost the Worthing signage before the tunnel......living near Worthing I'm DEVASTATED by this :mad:

;)

Anyway, I can't see what all the fuss about the colours is personally, I noticed a minor change but nothing as drastic as what others are making out. My Monitor is calibrated to its best (did it the other day) so I know I'm seeing it as designed, maybe others have un-calibrated monitors that need sorting out. Either way it bothers me not as it looks great to me :)

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm not experiencing dull, gray looking visuals, at all.
    In fact, I find that the tracks have never looked better than they do now.

Colors look natural, not over saturated nor subdued and dull.
    Changes in weather brings some very dynamic lighting and color changes, which I find very realistic.

My monitor is properly calibrated and I'm on the latest nvidia driver.
    The GFX complainers should definitely start by sorting out their settings, drivers, calibration etc.
    There is really nothing to make a big fuss about IMO.

7. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Cropped screen grab from Nov 2014 ... before dull, flat look was adopted.

View attachment 18323

Note proper reflections with a touch of bloom. Yes Hex, this is from a fully calibrated, IPS 25" monitor.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

??? I never said anything about colours being a problem or about me having the best hardware. You quoted my post but sound like you're replying to someone else.

And I've seen RF2 on multiple monitors and TVs. Unless you're playing during sunset, everything looks dull and flat. A friend of mine just bought RF2 (thanks to me) and he said the same too. Many people do.

It has nothing to do with brightness. i can max the brightness and contrast of my monitor to a very, very high amount obviously.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

We can't really make a dedicated grafic engine per user Spinelli. You know that.

As we are ok with it and as many other (users) are, it's extremely unlikely we are going to change, again, that aspect (even if your description is far away to be clear...)

ISI started getting loads of early complains about things being cartoon colors, then we tweaked and we've been said it was looking dull, then we changed again and someone said was too extreme and overexposed..then we changed again with latest automation and here we go again with the loop.

I'm not saying we changed things because people asked, but because we were still searching for a more balanced look along the entire time cycle@latitude (you can't really imagine how tricky is that task...) and now we think we found it. There are pros, there are cons, as explained 1 millions time.

Just try to get used to it, if you can. :)

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I would say you reached your goal! Good job!

However overexposure in the beginning (the first year(s) ) wasn´t a kind of taste;- that was real and for everyone (I guess).

11. Carlo

Carlo Registered

12. Tuttle

This plus Mods variables....Brrrrr. No Thanks. :p

PS: remember we moved away from HDPs profiles for a reason...

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Game does not work with latest drivers if you are SLI user.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/25620-Perfect-SLI-Scaling-w-rFactor-2-Great-Job-ISI!
    Reason to that you find here: http://www.nvidia.in/object/sli-technology-games-in.html

14. stonec

stonec Registered

So does it say to your eyes/monitor all of the below screenshots look equally good, because I don't reckon you ever complained about the graphics. I'm seeing a huge transition in colors, so clearly something with colors was very wrong before or is wrong now. I'm using factory calibrated IPS monitor. To me this is too big change, but the preference is subjective to a degree of course. I prefer the current look over the old one, but there's some room for improvement.

Build 700 something, old track
    View attachment 18289

Latest build, old track
    View attachment 18290

Latest build, latest track
    View attachment 18291

15. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Thanks a lot for those updates ISI Team, great work :) I hope now our historical cars EVE and Spark will get some love too ;)

16. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

For me, at 1 pm with clear sky, it doesn't look dull. With clouds and changing conditions the world looks dull sometime, which is absolutly great! ;) Always missed that because the real world looks quite dull to me with cloudy/overcast weather.
    I'm also quite happy that that we finally have proper day/night cycle without artifacts (i.e. strange color patches in sky).

With the more robust lighting, maybe we can try to bring the auto exposure back?

BTW: I'm, using a NEC PA301W IPS monitor in sRGB mode.
    @Tuttle: Are we suposed to use sRGB color space?

17. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Also want to add: When playing in a dark room the game looks nicer than in a bright room :p. VR will fix this problem...

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I prefer the latest one especially the trees, the first ones grass looks too luminous to me...and if anyone here knows grass it's me ;)

As Tuttle said above, ISI can't make a dedicated graphic engine per user, either get used to it or don't....the choice is yours.

19. Tuttle

Yes sir.

20. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Thanks, maybe people are using some native cold/warm color space and therefore getting a more dull image?