rFactor 2 40% Off - Renewals 10% Off

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 15, 2015.

1. depor

depor Registered

Having a bit of a worry when i went to buy rf2. Tried to use my email, said already in user. Recovery of the email said "USER LOOKUP ERROR". Managed to loging after some trys but before buying went to the game launcher (rF2 Demo) to try login but gave me "USER RETREIVAL ERROR". Any chance my account in the database is wrid or something? Can you help me out Tim? just dont wanna buy it and find out its somehow broken, the account.

2. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

I'm affected because I won't have the option of upgrading my account in June 2016. The cost of upgrading the license appears to be more than buying a new key (with this promo) , so i'm just expected to cough up 60dollars more 3 years after i've already paid for the game? Paying for the game twice.. Finally, in general I just question the validity of the fee in general. Unless you're actually planning some sort of online functionality (controlled pickup races etc), then this is just a money grab that iracing would be proud of

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, it's $1 more.

You do realize upgrades were never announced, pushed, marketed or even supported properly, right? And that you chose the standard version, right? We announced the lifetime version 3-4 days prior to the public release date in a RaceDepartment Q&A that was shared widely. Lifetime was something users asked for, and was not initially even a part of the pricing structure (still isn't, it's something we buried on our FAQ). We felt and feel that over the lifetime of the product the mid-$80 range would be about right considering how long we intended to support it for. That means EITHER $84.99 -or- $43.99 +12 +12 +12 +12

It is a money grab, in the same way gasoline is for a car, or anything you do to make money is. We're a business, we take in money, we put out software. Pretty sure iRacing do the same thing, but, you can choose what you buy. You chose the standard version when the lifetime version was available to you, and instead of coming here and just asking if there was any way you could upgrade and reduce it by what you paid in June, or something like that, you decided to rant, rave and generally treat me and everyone else having to read it in a disrespectful manner, along with the nonsense beta comments, asterisk laden words, etc. What you've done, is narrowed yourself to two options: Upgrade for $52, or don't.

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

ISI is using a very aggressive commercial strategy which punishes the ones that bought the regular license. The difference in price between new lifetime license and upgrading from regular license is minimal.

I would expect the same 40% discount wrt the old price. That would keep the same proportion with old prices.

It should be noted that it is probably the people with more economic problems the ones who were more reluctant to pay the lifetime fee.

That would be a fair trade I think. Otherwise people will probably feel in the right to purchase a new lifetime with the discount and sell their old "offline" license in the black market for a reduced price wrt official 40% discount or even a higher price when the discount ends. If ISI plays hard, so will customers.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

5. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Please, what exactly are you doing to add an extra fee to online? All I see is a couple of ISI run servers, and upkeep of that doesn't require the amount you're charging every customer.

Where is your online content? So far the only online experiences i've had are the result of volunteers creating a league. What the hell are you doing for your money?

6. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Pretty much. I bought the standard edition early on because the game wasn't complete. Further, at the pace of development at the time, it looked like it would NEVER be completed.

7. 88mphTim

You're assuming that the online fee goes exclusively to the matchmaker? We've never said that. it's a general revenue stream that we chose to attach to multiplayer. The upkeep of our BUSINESS is why we charge money, as stated in the previous reply. Do you think that when you buy a car from a manufacturer, that's when they pay for building your car for you? No, it goes into the running of their BUSINESS. EVERYTHING that their business does.

Would you feel better if there was no standard version, and everyone was forced to pay $84.99 instead?

8. 88mphTim

How are they punished by something that makes no changes to what they have paid, or expected to pay, when they actually made the purchase?

People who bought the standard version can currently renew at 10% off. They didn't buy lifetime and made the decision to play offline, or renew every year. That was their choice, and currently they can do that for 10% less.

9. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Yes, a single price would have been better.

How does 10% off a renewal help those who renewed in June 2015? Are the licenses additive? If I renewed now with a discount, would I have 20 months remaining?

10. 88mphTim

You asked for a refund in March, 2012, and were given one.

You should be able to sign in, rather than create a new user, on the link in the email/bulletin.

11. 88mphTim

You had one, lifetime, you chose not to buy it for that price and consequently forced yourself to renew every year.

12. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Only the isi faithful would have bought a lifetime license in 2012. At that time there was very little to indicate that this game would ever be completed. If I had have been a new customer in 2015, i'd pay the full amount because surprisingly the game actually seems rather complete

just repeating for an answer:
    How does 10% off a renewal help those who renewed in June 2015? Are the licenses additive? If I renewed now with a discount, would I have 20 months remaining?

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

But they can't transfer that account to Steam right? I mean, not without losing the renewal?

14. depor

depor Registered

So what your saying is after i buy it again i should be able to login in the launcher? cause ATM is giving me that error.

15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It is very simple to understand, I would expect, if you think from a customer point of view. Someone who is already a customer does not like to feel undertreated wrt a newcomer. It applies to everything:

It is the main reason I give to my communications company when I leave them and go to another company which is offering as well better prices for newcomers.

This happens when there is a real competition, which is not the case, since no other simulator offers what rF2 does. Right now, as we say in Spain, you hold the frying pan by the handle.

However, as I said, those people could feel betrayed and try to make a better deal buying a new lifetime license and selling the older regular one for a reduced price.

You have more to gain in the long term if you treat customers the right way. But you sail your boat. I just give my opinion.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  16. 88mphTim

Yes, they are. :)

But, obviously, that would not transfer to steam. That is a steam limitation you should use when considering whether to do it, and whether to use steam at all when rF2 is released on the platform.

17. 88mphTim

Correct. This is a decision for the user to make, obviously. The same way it was standard+renew vs lifetime.

18. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

I'm sorry for being rude, but you guys have really ****ed me off (and quite a lot of other people too. (see reddit))

Keeping MP behind a paywall while moving to steam seems counter intuitive. The advantage of steam is its online community. With this system, not everyone will have access to the online aspect, and the game may not grow at the rate it would otherwise

I can't see this being good for business, best of luck to you.

19. 88mphTim

You cant click the link, enter promo (or click the link with it already done), click sign in, then sign in? Can you attach a screenshot?

20. depor

depor Registered

Ya i can do that, just was worried about it cause on the rf2 launcher, demo one, not being able to login (before buying it). Didnt wanna buy before checking with someone, worried it wouldnt work.