rFactor 2 on Steam Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

News post: http://bit.ly/1jAe0yh

rf2logo.jpg

If you missed the announcement, we are planning to release rFactor 2 on Steam before the holidays…

We’ve put together some more information about this release, and what it means for you, in the form of a short Q&A:

If I already own rF2, can I move over to the Steam version for free?
    Yes you can migrate over to the Steam version at no extra cost. Once you do this, your original non-Steam product is no longer active.

How will Steam work with Standard/Lifetime?

For those who do not buy or have Lifetime, you will need to buy online access through Steam. We will not offer Lifetime upgrades (from ‘Offline’) on Steam. We are also planning to stop doing Standard to Lifetime upgrades for the non-Steam version soon.

rF2 on Steam will offer three things:
    – rF2 Offline
    – 1 Year Online for rF2 (adds multiplayer to rF2 Offline)
    – rF2 Lifetime (has multiplayer included)

Will my online access be carried over from non-Steam to Steam?

No, not for the standard version of rF2. We are not able to move over remaining online access, so users may want to wait until that expires before migrating.
    Lifetime access is carried over to Steam.

Why Steam? Why now? What Steam features are implemented in rF2?

We have done a lot of work to support Steam, including implementation of Steam Workshop for additional content.

Here is a more comprehensive list:

– automatic updates of rFactor and mods
    – support for Steam Workshop as a single easy source for all ISI and third party mods
    – workshop items will automatically stay up to date
    – leagues can use the workshop to create a convenient installation for participants
    – automatic backup of car setups in the Steam cloud
    – integration with the Steam matchmaker for finding servers
    – support for the Steam friends system to join a friend’s game
    – screenshots can be quickly shared on Steam
    – broadcast options to allow (your friends or anybody) to watch you play
    – streaming support that allow you to run rFactor 2 on one system but stream the graphics to another
    – Steam Music Player support to listen to your favourite songs in your car and control the stereo
    – statistics and achievements that you can use to compare your performance against others

Some may consider it a better platform for rFactor 2 due to the Steam integration, but we’re not planning on any Steam exclusive features (apart from those that require Steam or are enabled by using it, as can be seen above).

Will non-Steam and Steam rF2 be cross compatible?

Our goal is that MP races are cross compatible, yes.

Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?

We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period. We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I think this part might be worded better:

"support for Steam Workshop as the single source for all ISI and third party mods"

"Single Source" to me implies it's not available from anywhere else. What you are likely meaning is a "one stop no hassles" kind of thing? I.e. I assume owners of the Non-Steam version will be able to get Non-Steam RFCMP downloads from ISI or elsewhere and use as normal.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Thanks for info!

Does this mean any restrictions regarding mod-content?
    Can I install mods from any source, or is this restricted to steam-workshop only?

Edit: Aaahh GCCRacer: same thoughts! ;)

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is steam online access (for non-lifetime members) going to be priced the same as now? If not, are there plans in place for a flood of lifetime upgrades before the window closes? :p

5. 88mphTim

Yes you interpreted it as intended, but I'll alter the wording. You're not forced to ONLY use it as the sole source.

6. 88mphTim

At this point pricing should be about the same. And yes, I'm ready... lol

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks for clarifying :)

All as expected - Steam as a source of new users (and hopefully ISI income which will future development) - while not forcing anyone to anything. Just great, that's how it should be!

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ja, I recognized that this question was a little bit dumb, as you have to have the chance to install your own created mods....:eek:

9. Promag

Promag Registered

How do I upgrade to lifetime before this changes over?

10. 88mphTim

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The most important question of all time:
    "WHEN?!" :D :p

12. 88mphTim

Week(s)-ish

13. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Hello,
    An installation with Steam and two not - Steam, it is possible on the same pc, also for the on-line game.
    THX

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, no idea about Steam at this stage, so I'll ask another question: does 'renew through Steam' mean transferring to steam? Or steam is just used to make the payment and then you don't need it to play online (for another year)?

15. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I'm driving in different leagues and have separate rF2 installation for it (because of different mods and sometimes different builds). Is it possible with steam to have multiple installations? Or will there be another way to separate league installations?

16. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I get more confused by the minute so let me summarize what i understood:

When i move over to steam and i have livetime allready it will cost me NADA.
    Pro's will be:
    – automatic updates of rFactor and mods
    – support for Steam Workshop as a single easy source for all ISI and third party mods
    – workshop items will automatically stay up to date
    – leagues can use the workshop to create a convenient installation for participants
    – automatic backup of car setups in the Steam cloud
    – integration with the Steam matchmaker for finding servers
    – support for the Steam friends system to join a friend’s game
    – screenshots can be quickly shared on Steam
    – broadcast options to allow (your friends or anybody) to watch you play
    – streaming support that allow you to run rFactor 2 on one system but stream the graphics to another
    – Steam Music Player support to listen to your favourite songs in your car and control the stereo
    – statistics and achievements that you can use to compare your performance against others

I don't need to go over to steam and still can join MP and because of the x compatibleness i can even join with people who play the steam version of the game.
    Downside from not going over to steam will be you have to manually update when a new build has come. Also mods won't be auto updated when a modder makes a new version of his mod. Just like it always was.

Did i understand well?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  17. jimortality

jimortality Registered

I've just renewed my yearly subscription 2 weeks ago, I have to wait nearly a year before I can migrate over? If that is the case, will new content still be accessible through the current system? Thanks

18. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Yes, multiplayer will be compatible between the Steam and non-Steam versions. It is important not to split the community but provide Steam as an easy to use alternative to the current system.

And yes, you've understood the other points as well.

19. 88mphTim

If you go to steam, everything is on steam and through steam. If you don't go to steam, it's not.

20. 88mphTim

You probably can install steam more than once, but I haven't tested that specific scenario. Regardless, remember steam is by default setup to auto update, so version separation is something that might change for your league anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.