Real road channel mapping

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Nuno Lourenço, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

It is mandatory that we use channel 1,2 and 3 as according track technology PDF to work correctly or can we change channels from different texture stages?

Thank you

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Can't say I've ever tried using exotic channel assignments. It all depends on how correctly they get exported from Max.
    I know for sure that in the rF1 days they had to be used in incremental order, or it wouldn't export the UVs properly. Not sure if that's still the case, or if you could use 1, 4 and 2 for example, instead of 1, 2 and 3.

Is there any particular reason why you'd want to do crazy things :) ?
    Either way, the second diffuse map (T2) and the spec channel share the same set of UVs. Groove and marbles also share the same UVs.

Oh, make sure you've read this: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/13211-rF2-Track-Design-Changes-to-Real-Road-Shader -- Normal Map stage has been freed up so it can have its own set of UVs.

3. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I've readed it already Luc but sometimes English kills me in some specific words. The question is, I've been modding Oulton and I check that I've mapped racegroove for example in channel 4 ( for some reason I was pretty sure that this was the correct) and it appears to work but then I realize that in PDF file that the map was shupposed to be the third.

The normal map for example right now I would like to try some worked from the T2 map, can I use channel 2 for that or I have to use channel 1 as described in PDF?

Thats because I don't want T2 mapped along the road, instead I'm trying to get a map so well tiled that allow me to map it in XYZ to UVW and that way I avoid different size mapping that channel 1 have. Working that way I will not be able to map normal map in channel one... It will never fit the Detail map

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That's not really an issue. Just add a Unwrap UVW modifier on that, load the Map Channel 4, click reset UVWs and then click down to Map Channel 3. This way you just ported CH4 UVW to CH3. :)

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

If it works, then ... it works :) ?

Yes:
    That applies to Real Road Shader, not the old Road Shader Two Diffuse Maps.

6. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

That was done already :)

So Real road shader only increase the options that we had with Road Shader Two Diffuse Maps and we can use the channel that are most convenient in each case...

Thank you guys :)

7. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

+ can chose uv channel (t1 or t2) for normal map.
    + More possibilities for water puddles. New shader use 2 alpha channels.

I think don't do some mistake I'm not home now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I use Maya and GJED.
    Maya uses UVsets, which i can name myself. But it seems to work the same. In my case, ch1 = map1, ch2 = map2, etc....
    With this real road shader map1(ch1) (main diffuse), map2(ch2) (ashalt grain) seems to work in GJED, But i can't see or check map3(Ch3) (race groove/marbles) in GJED.

If i can choose the normal map to be at ch1, ch2, ch3 or ch4, How does GJED know what channel i use in Maya or any other program?
    The normal map is al over the place in GJED at the moment... i think it's at ch1 at the moment ??? (not sure) , but it needs to be at ch2... or ch4 which is a copy of ch2.

I can't choose the UV-channels in GJED i've used. So i guess the channels are fixed?

How can i preview/check the "race groove and marbles" in GJED? (ch3)

9. Nyowa225

Nyowa225 Registered

You can preview road conditions like rain, race groove and marbles with the viewer application in your ModDev folder. Once you open up the .scn for your track with it you'll see some small arrows on the bottom left corner. One of them says "Adjust Road Conditions" and has options to manually change road conditions. You can turn groove/marbles/wetness on or off and set a value between 0 and 1 to see how they would look in game. Also note that for some reason the viewer uses the arrow keys, not WASD, to move the camera around and I don't think you can change that.

I too would like to know how to specify which UV map the normal map goes in though. I don't see an option in gJED anywhere and it keeps defaulting to uv channel 1 for me (I'm using blender if that makes a difference).

10. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

A, Cool. :) I haven't used the viewer yet. I guess the features in the viewer will come to GJED in the future. I hope so! :D