Multi core CPU's & rf2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by kro388th, Oct 7, 2015.

1. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Hi !
    Ok my mobo died this week ,it was 6 years old and rode hard ! GIGABYTE mobo with an AMD Phenom II black quad core @3.2 1050w PSU ,NIVID 780ti ..rf2 ran awesome on this system !

now im upgrading and was wondering how rf2 will run on the newer chips with 6-8 cores? I remember reading support forums with players having issues with new powerful systems running rf2 smoothly so before I dive in I thought I would ask here :)

This is the chip im looking at >

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

With this mobo >

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 (rev. 1.0) AM3+/AM3 AMD 990X 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0~5) Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, and JBOD USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

combined with the PSU ,nvid 780ti and 8 gigs ddr3 win 7 64 enterprize (my OS is free from my work/biz so cant upgrade until company does lol)

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !!! ;-)

2. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Yes

But only i can say is if this processor and mobo is equivalent (similar) to intel i7 4790k and asus z97a mobo, it runs great. No stutter at all

3. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

If you can afford to go the Intel route, I would choose that, Intel cpu's have higher IPC(Instruction Per Clock) per core than AMD cpu's, which is still important even with multi-core supported software. An i5 class 'k' cpu would be a very good option as well if the i7 is out of your budget.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

A cheapest 4 core i5 (clocked like 3,5GHz?), even without 'K', will be enough for the sim. 6 cores and up is good when you want to calculate tyres in the TTool and just for that as the sim simply won't utilize more (I think as we speak, it's optimized for 2 cores).
    8GB is optimum right now (you can disable page file). Stay with one GFX. 780Ti still should be more than enough for 1 monitor but if you have the money, go for 980Ti.
    If you plan to also buy a new monitor, definatelly go for 120/144Hz as it will make difference vs 60Hz - much, much less tearing and you can enable V-sync and still have very low lag.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yeah, agree - get you an intel if anyhow possible! Miles ahead right now.....
    i5 non-k is more than enough. I have a i5k and I don´t say here what clock I set, because people would laugh at me! ;)
    It has it´s reasons though - super-tiny PC-case here and don´t want to activate a casefan for noise-reasons......

6. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

I would not recommend disabling page file, because even if your ram is high enough, there are still Windows sub-systems and software that use a page file regardless of ram amount, you can make it smaller np.

You don't need a 'k' series cpu as others have stated but with a 'k' series cpu and nice cooler, much faster speeds are freely available, and before anyone says overclocking is not a good idea, it's not really overclocking the cpu like it used to be in the old days. Gains of 20%+ performance are easily available and achievable.

I will follow Peterchen and not mention speeds but suffice to say my i5-2500k cpu is still running way beyond any speed you can buy from Intel today and it's been running like that since the day I bought it 4+ years ago;)

Also, if going the Intel route, make sure you buy a retail Intel cpu because they have 3 year warranty with Intel, whereas an oem cpu has a 1 year warranty.

Also for gaming, i7 cpu's make little difference if at all because games don't make good use of virtualised cores, you can google around to check this for yourself.

7. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thanks for the info !

I did take a peek at INTEL and wish I had the $$$ to go that route but this being a un expected failure and not prepared to up grade I had to go the AMD route with my limited budget ..

The i5 I looked at cost as much as the AMD mobo and chip I settled for ! ive had intel in the past and loved it ..for now however im just trying to get back in the game ! lol

I picked up this AMD combo for $279.00 us.

CHIP> AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
    • 32nm Vishera 125W
    • 8MB L3 Cache
    • 4 x 2MB L2 Cache

(+Free Dirt Rally Voucher code with purchase ! lol ;-)

MOBO> GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 (rev. 1.0) AM3+/AM3 AMD 990X 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0~5) Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, and JBOD USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (3 year warranty from GIGABYTE)

With the new socket tec coming out soon the prices have droped for now ..so at least im not on the bleeding edge of the tec curve but can still get some horse power ..

my AMD phenom II @3.2GHz ran rf2, AC, PcARS, BF2 fine so im sure this will be equal if not better ..! and coming in under $300.00 allows me to be able to upgrade later to my dream PC with INTEl without regrets from spending $700.00 or so dollars that wasn't planned ! haha

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Don't get crap AMD CPUs. A 4 core Intel CPU @ 3.5 GHz is almost always faster than a 6 core AMD CPU @ 4.5 GHz.

Don't let the bigger numbers fool you. There's much more to it than that.

Get either (oldest to newest) Ivy Bridge (3770k), Haswell / Devil's Canyon (4770k/4790k), or Skylake (6770k).

The models I wrote are the top of the line Hyperthreaded models. I just wrote them down as a reference; you don't need those exact models. It's probably best to get the top of the line non-Hyperthreaded-but-still-4-physical-cores model; that would be the i5 line, not the i7 (4 physical cores + 4 virtual cores) or i3 (2 physical cores) line. To save a few more bucks, you could get the top of the line non-K i5 model but that will prevent you from overclocking and, if I recall correctly, they don't clock as high.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
  9. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

No kidding. An extra $100 for an Intel CPU? You could spend 3x that for memory and video card upgrades which won't give you nearly as much improvement. Most applications are optimized for the Intel instruction set extensions and Intel's hyperthreading essentially gives you twice as many pipelines for execution.

I used to rigidly avoid Intel's hardware because I thought Motorola and AMD had much better architecture. But they just quit developing advanced CPU designs and Intel leaped far ahead.

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Don't you think it would be worth getting the i7 to take advantage of the PCI-e 3.0 x16 like was so discussed and tested here?

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...her-end-cards!?p=311555&highlight=#post311555

Of course if funds are limited, well...

11. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

You don't need an i7 for 3.0, just an Ivybridge or later CPU. My i5 3570k does 3.0.

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Oh yeah. Thanks for the clarification. In fact that's what I have... i5 3570... Doh! :rolleyes:

13. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Interesting points guys ! I wish I had the $$$ to go Intell but as I said this is an emergency fail scenario unfortunately the
    price of the Intell chip and mobo , as I need both :-( exceeds my budget atm however the money saved now will allow me to do a proper upgrade next year !

I do have another question ! For hard drives should I go sata or serial ? Did I say that right? Lol best for gameing??

Thanks !!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Best option these days is have an SSD even smaller for Windows and most common programs (Office, photoshop, etc) and a second hard drive to install games (1TB is enought). If you need backup space you can have a third one to do that.

You'll find that after work with a SSD drive is impossible to go back and use common HDD as OS disk...

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What's your budget? Seriously, try to go Intel i5. Get a used 3570k and MB.

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

THE MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS ARE UPDATED.
    The better your machine is, generally the better our software will run.

Minimum:
    – 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better
    – Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, with latest Service Packs.
    – 4GB RAM
    – nVidia GTS 450 or AMD Radeon 5750
    – 1GB Video Memory
    – DirectX 9.0c
    – 10GB free HD space
    – DirectX compatible sound card
    – Broadband internet connection

Recommended:
    – 3.0 GHz Intel i5 or 4.0 GHz AMD FX or better
    – Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, with latest Service Packs.
    – 8GB RAM
    – nVidia GTX 760 or AMD 7870
    – 2GB Video Memory
    – DirectX 9.0c
    – 50GB free HD space
    – DirectX compatible sound card
    – Broadband internet connection

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Really don´t understand ...:confused: Seems like the relations in prices are very different in US vs. Germany.

Here you can have a good Gigabyte H97 or even Z97-board for 30 bucks less than the AM3+ board you came up with,
    what makes it possible to have the 4590 non-k with 3.3 GHz, which is propably same as fast at gaming, but you have the ability to upgrade further more in future....
    Edit: and you save the money for a cooler, because 4590 have only 67% of the TDP that the AMD eight-core have, what means you can use stockcooler
    without any worrying! (approved: it really runs perceft and quiet!)