[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. shiet

shiet Registered

I don't have 3ds max and I don't know 3ds max.

Any ideas what causes this texture flickering? Only on this two objects (so far).

2. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

The object probably have two faces one on top of the other or near each other...

The learning process that you are having now with sketchup and BTB, should be replaced for 3ds Max. It would cost your more time now but in the end the result is much more rewarding :)

3. shiet

shiet Registered

There are only 2 weeks left in October, after that I won't have time to do Mosport. In 2 weeks I can't learn 3ds max and anyway one of my advisors told me that 3ds max would be much more difficult. And as I said I'm not a modder and I'm not interested in 3D programs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

That flickering is z-fighting. As Nuno says, two faces on top of each other facing the same direction (or very close). If you modeled the sign posts going up the rear of the signs as 4-sided boxes, then remove the side that is against the sign so they're U-shaped. Below the sign, down to the ground, you can leave them 4-sided because they won't be conflicting with the sign's surface.

5. shiet

shiet Registered

Sorry but I can't really understand what you just said :D but my guess is I just did what you were referring to: I removed the back of the Castrol billboard (and the inside wall in the Michelin overpass) and now it's fine. Now the wall (on the Michelin overpass) doesn't have depth, it's just a "sheet" (omg I have to use google translate a lot, sorry).

6. Emery

Emery Registered

You may have done more than necessary, but if it stops the flickering, that's great!

Take a look at the advertising signs on Oran Park. Nibiru had the same problem and he fixed those.

Your English is far better than my non-existent Hungarian, LOL! Actually, your English is definitely better than a recent posting in a certain stockcar thread... that one made me sad.

7. shiet

shiet Registered

Now I just reread your previous comment and I guess by saying "sign posts" you meant the legs of the billboard? :D
    But that wouldn't explain what is the problem with the Michelin overpass. Well it doesn't matter because now it's OK.

8. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Yea an older version with just the pavement removed in those areas and just grass (I dont think its necessary to do buildings and such really - just want the grass back). They never should have paved right upto the circuit, there is a huge run off area there and they could have at least left a cars width of grass.

If its possible Shiet, I don't know how much extra effort it would be to replace those areas with grass after you are finished and make it an alternate layout. The grip level of the grass you have on the outside of turn 3 is very good and feels realistic.

Thanks again for the great work.

9. shiet

shiet Registered

Still one more bridge left.

View attachment 18329

Mosport probably has to have the most individual buildings on/above the track, if I do Road Atlanta I would have needed only 3-4 buildings to modell.

10. shiet

shiet Registered

A little bit of teaser... :)

[​IMG]

I think tomorrow I'm gonna start the "planting".

ps: that tree is literally the last of it's kind, soon will vanish.

11. Hazi

Hazi Registered

lookin`good.....

12. hoover

hoover Registered

Awesome work shiet, I only stumbled across this thread just now. Keep up the great work, I'll give your WIP a spin and report back.

Cheers, Uwe

13. shiet

shiet Registered

Any idea how can I get rid of that "moire pattern"? I can see it on the fence.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Not sure technically, but even tracks from the top experienced modders sometimes have this problem. It's related to transparency I suspect.

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

What is the mip map bias for the fence material?

16. shiet

shiet Registered

Thanks! :)
    It was -4, I changed it to -1 and it seems OK now.

17. shiet

shiet Registered

Looks like I'm at the point where I can finally start to work in 3Dsimed (trees, realroad, grass). The problem is I (or should I say we the creator of the tracks?) always find some mistake/problem/misperfection on the track so there is always something to work on but I can't do this forever so I had to draw the line at his point and prioritize things. From next week I won't be able to work on this project because of real life work at the end of the year. And anyway I want to release it before the Flat6 mod and the Enduracers mod, guess why... :)
    I'm going to release two versions of the track: pre-2013 and post-2013, the difference is only in the terrain.
    And I picked the trees, I think these look good, I will use these 7 types. At least from my standpoint they're the best (looking) in that pack Euskotracks provided us.

View attachment 18411

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  18. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

A pre 2013, Shiet you are awesome! Can't wait to see what you have done, thanks so much. Only thing that could make it better is actually being there.

19. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

very good Congratulations

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Can you use these material settings for the trees? I will create some nice spec and bumps maps to bring them to life.

Left click on the image for full res.
    [​IMG]