[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. shiet

shiet Registered

Those are huge bumps. :D
    So basically I need to change the road mesh, there is no material or anything else (setting/etc) which would ease the process...?

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You can try to modify the tdf file, but these settings work better for high frequency micro bumps.

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

As Tosch suggests, for making high frequency bumps more noticeable you could increment the amp setting in the material. change the wavelength if you want to modify the "mean frequency" of the noise pattern.

You have also other tricks available:
    1. Open a racesurface.gmt
    2. Duplicate the main road material (Edit-Editing Materials-select source material and click new) and modify its name so that the prefix is one of the alternative road materials within tdf. For example rdax, bpCs.. (as they appear at the end of each material paragraph in the tdf). You can increase BumpAmp values and create different bump profiles since they will be only locally used. Overwrite original tdf when finished.

3. Assign that material to scattered areas of the road mesh. You need to press CTRL while selecting an area with left mouse button so that the required popup appears. Select Faces-Replace Materials and assign the bumpy material you just created

4. Reexport the gmt to overwrite the original one.

Additionally you can create bigger bumps by editing track geometry. I would suggest the following procedure:

1. Open the racesurface.gmt that you would like to edit.

2. Press Ctrl and Select an area comprising several faces with left button of the mouse. The same popup as before appears. Click Faces-Cut. Wireframe display helps to select areas more precisely.

3. Paste the faces (Edit-Paste-Faces) and edit z coordinate of the group of faces(for example 0,015 before Accepting. One accepted they will become regular faces and will not be possible to move the again. You would need to cut and paste again.

By selecting points with Right button of the mouse and alterning MS/MR buttons you will be able to stitch the faces you lofted with original track. The arrow key to alternate between coincident or close points is very useful.

Do it in as many places as you you like. Don't forget to export the gmt overwriting the original.

I hope I have been clear enough.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

4. shiet

shiet Registered

Well this sounds complicated and simple at the same time... :D
    What does Bumpamp and BumpWavelen mean? I mean what do they do separately?

In rF1 I tried to modify the .tdf file with the rdax and on the monitor (in cockpit view) I could see that the road became bumpy but I couldn't feel the bumps on the steering wheel at all. So it wasn't a success...

We will come back to this topic but first I want to finish some visuals. Mosport is my favorite track (and Road Atlanta, very close) so I can enjoy it this way too... :D

5. shiet

shiet Registered

OK I found this section in the track technology pdf but that still doesn't explain what does bumpamp and bumpwavelen do.
    So my guess is
    bumpamp (amp mean amplitude?) sets the height of the microbumps and
    bumpwavelen (wave lenght) sets the space between the micobumps because this is basically a sine wave.

So here is what we have in the .tdf

[TRACKVARS]
    RoadDryGrip=1.00
    RoadWetGrip=0.85
    RoadmetalGrip=0.80
    RoadDustGrip=0.90
    RoadBumpAmp=0.001
    RoadBumpLen=3.0
    RumbleDryGrip=0.96
    RumbleWetGrip=0.60
    RumbleBumpAmp=0.001
    RumbleBumpLen=3.0
    HATFilterMaxOffset=0.007

Am I right if I need to change these two bolded lines? Because later in the FEEDBACK sections the "road" material uses these two variables. Am I right if I say my road uses the "road" material if the name is "ROADA679_WET"?
    Or that doesn't mean anything? Am I stupid? :D

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

That's the way it works. You are not stupid. :D
    You can either use the predefined variables or paste your own values for each surface material. Don't forget the "Roughness" parameter for the real road materials. These are needed to calculate the wet surface grip.

7. shiet

shiet Registered

OK, thanks.
    Another (stupid) question because this is unclear.
    In the FEEDBACK section there is this line

Materials=road

Does this mean every material which name starts with "road" gets these values or do I have to change this to the actual name of my main road (which is ROADA679_WET right now)?

so

is "Materials=road" good?
    or do I have to change it to "Materials=ROADA679_WET, ROAD221 etc"?

8. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Just check the Joesville tdf file. It starts with a lot of extra info.

9. shiet

shiet Registered

Right, sorry, thanks. :)

10. shiet

shiet Registered

OK boys and girls, I think I'm gonna release the track tomorrow.

In the last couple of minutes I have just read some of the WIP track threads and it's obvious that I won't be able to do that kind of a work on the track in terms of visuals (there are some awesome looking tracks), in fact I'm nowhere there, I can't even change the trees. :D the rF1 trees on the track have "half-shadows" for some reason (other than that a part of them would be OK). Also I can't use the ISI-23843 channel grass, whatever I do my grass is tiled. My Photoshop skill equals to 0, I'm even struggling to make a specular map for a simple white wall LOL.

Also in the last couple of days I realized that this kind of "work" is not my cup of tea, I enjoy creating tracks until the point where I can drive it and that's it, I don't have patience to finetune everything. I had to almost completely rebuild Mosport because the rF1 version I built for myself was super lame :D (what you've seen in the video) still a bunch of things are missing. You will be able to drive and enjoy Mosport but it's not gorgeous as some other mods.

I might also give you my version of Road Atlanta which is in my opinion better the ones out there in terms of track layout (I know one more recent version for rF2 without realroad, and a couple of very old for rF1). You can drive it until Mario Morales releases his LIDAR-data version. :D the trees on this are even worse (99% treewalls) but I love it in rF1.

So that's it. I'm very itchy about creating either Watkins Glen or Summit Point Raceway but I think for those I need to learn 3ds max in order to make it nice but... time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

The effort is appreciated and I know how frustrating it is to see such visually beautiful tracks and not have the patience or know how to achieve something similar.
    Hopefully when you release mosport, someone will pick it up and add billboard trees, new tonemap and textures etc and we will all thank you for getting the ball rolling.
    Just FYI there is a Simraceway conversion of Watkins that could be being updated ;) and as far as I know its super accurate in layout. Plus I do believe VLM are working on a scratch Watkins. Best of luck with anything you decide to do in the future.

12. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

If you're willing to let the mod community pick up your work and develop it, we will all benefit from their efforts. I did the same years ago when I released updated 1967 and 1970 versions of Sebring for F1C (with full permissions from the original designer).

13. shiet

shiet Registered

Hey.
    I will let the mod community pick up the track if the modder tells me what's his/her plan. But first we have to see it's worth the time/effort/work. One thing I can tell you right now the terrain mesh is literally a mess... :D this was my first project ever and I was just trying things here and there, you can imagine... however I don't think the mesh needs any work.

Btw I thought I give the billboard trees another try and this time I succeeded... :D (thanks Euskotracks) Now I can place the trees on the track. The problem is I'm building the track in BTB so I either stop the work in BTB and place the trees (later I can't go back into BTB because of the trees) or I postpone the whole release thing and process further the track and then place the trees and then release.

If I can place the trees then there are two things I'm unable to do: set up the ISI-grass properly and make nice looking objects (trackside billboards, bridges, banners, cars etc.)

edit: a question: what kind of settings do we need on billboard trees objects? Is this good (on the picture)?

View attachment 18218

14. shiet

shiet Registered

Here is Mosport v0.5723498. :D https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjkcxzrb7mywniq/mosport_v0.5723498.rfcmp?dl=0
    It works.

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

From what I see in the video the basic textures/colors look very good. I think you should leave the trees as they are and replace them later as the final step. To make the new ISI terrain shader (grass) work you have to do a lot of vertex painting. Never worked with BTB , but I guess you need 3dsmax for this.

To me it looks like an excellent base to work with. Good job! :D

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I just had a run, and I'll join Tosch in saying that this seems like an excellent foundation to work off of.
    Very nice job so far.

The road surface feels very good, elevation changes are great and very dramatic; very Mosport indeed. :)

BTW if you ever need help doing trackside TV cameras, PM me. I'd love to help out if needed.

17. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1 on that and if I could I would help.....

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I see it has the GPL curbs :p. Keep going, we love that place!

19. shiet

shiet Registered

Thanks.
    Trackside cameras are not an issue, they're very easy to make in BTB. :D
    GPL curbs? These are from the Ennis extras pack and I added some cracks to them.

Btw I might redo the track to the pre-2010 state (just like in iRacing) when there wasn't that big tarmac next to the track in T1 and T2. Originally I started with that. That's much more exciting.
    The track in this state is a 2013-2015 hybrid.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  20. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

Really impressive for an initial release - the rF1 version didn't look this good on its first incarnation! Other than the already discussed textures and TSOs, I don't see anything that needs to be addressed.

It was a bit of a shock to see that tarmac on the T1/T2 overruns; that sudden transition to grass was one of the things that kept you honest in rF1. :eek: