Nvidia related crash at 1960s Monaco

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by rfuctor, Oct 3, 2015.

1. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I can consistently reproduce this on 2 machines one with a 980ti, the other a TitanX.

Within 2 laps, normally a lot less, nvlddmkm reports an error and the graphics card driver resets.

This may be an Nvidia driver issue but am reporting it here because if I've seen it on 2 systems, others will surely have the same issue.

It may be rFactor2 related because I think this started occurring in the last build (the one before the current release) and this only occurs at Monaco. I can't reproduce it at any other track.

2. mel1c

mel1c Registered

Yes, I have the same issue, only at Monaco so far, but others report the problem at other tracks also. Titan X, Windows 10, driver 355.60. My current work around is to cap FPS at 60, and so far so good.

3. gawaterman

gawaterman Registered

Similar problem, only at Monaco 1960. Also running GTX980Ti. Can load track and drive out onto it, but after a few secs the screen goes black, the car continues along track, then after about 2 secs screen comes back on. This continues multiple times as I try to drive around track.

4. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Bumping this because it's getting really annoying. This doesn't just affect Mote Carlo and isn't fixed by the update to that track.

I've started messing around with all sorts of settings. The only thing I have managed to do is increase the amount of time before it happens.

I managed about 5 laps (normally crash is almost immediate after leaving pits) after

Set sync to None in graphics settings
    Limit FPS to 140 in player.json
    Threaded optimisation to off in NVidia control panel

I hope this might be a clue, maybe it's useless but it does seem that neither Nvidia (numerous driver updates have no effect) or ISI have any ideas, so us 980TI/Titan owners need to fix it ourselves.

5. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Singapore gave similar errors. Somebody mentioned that it was caused by Nvidia 9XX series cards combined with this game. No idea if that's true or not, because I only have a 970. I just know I never experienced it on my AMD card I had before.

I could eventually practice and race though turning off Wind & Crowd Motion, Special Effects, Movies and all reflections off. Not sure which fixed it, but I didn't really care as it worked.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What's your normal frame rate? If it's not significantly higher, then capping it at 140 may not reduce the load much at high-load moments, which means if those moments are part of the problem you won't help it at all. Is your screen refresh rate 140 or something lower?

7. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

After systematically going through every setting I've found that soft particles are the culprit.

With every other setting back to max now, apart from soft particles which is off, I have no crash at Monte Carlo. I've managed well over 10 laps where before it would crash within 1 or 2 laps.

I also saw this strange bug. Watch what happens when I turn back on soft particles:

This must surely be related to the crashing issue.

I will wait to see if somebody from ISI comments, if not I'll create a new topic now that the problem has been isolated.

Lazza - I have a 144hz monitor and refresh rate of 144fps that rarely dips.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's ok, it's only worth worrying about if load is the issue (in which case limiting the framerate to something relatively low can help), but it looks like you've found the culprit :)

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Misleading Topic, not Nvidia. :)

I have GTX970 it has been flawless in rF2 any track, I run nothing but high particles.

10. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

At the time of creating the topic I didn't know if it's a problem with rFactor or the Nvidia drivers. Actually we still don't know which it is but the problem seems to only affect 980ti/Titan X.

11. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It's a combo of track, GPU and settings, maybe even combined with mods - as noted by my post above. I have a 970 and what I mentioned above didn't happen with people with non-9XX series GPU's for others at the same tracks.

12. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

To confirm that it is the same issue, please could you try Monte Carlo 66 with soft particles on/off? It doesn't matter what car you use.

You should find the Nvidia driver crashes very quickly, within 1 or 2 laps.

13. yusupov

yusupov Registered

no issue w/ 980 (not Ti). nvidia did update their drivers just a day or two ago, if you havent updated. pretty sure it was fine for me before that but worth a shot.

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

15. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Yeah I will after work. Which mod do you use?

That's exactly what I had it sounds like. Does your screen freeze and go into a sound loop first before totally crashing?

16. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

17. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Yes, black screen followed by sound loop then rFactor minimises (doesn't die) as the Nvidia driver restarts.

I shouldn't matter what car you're using but I was using the Palatov in my testing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  18. lamck

lamck Registered

Drove this track last week without issue. However it hangs in a few laps after I updated the latest Nvidia driver last night. Tried turn off "Soft Particle" but still hangs. I will switch back the driver to try.

19. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Do you have a 9xx series GPU?

20. lamck

lamck Registered

Yes, 980ti.

Just installed back 355.80 driver and tried a few laps without issue.