Game refuses to launch

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MrSlowly, Sep 27, 2015.

1. MrSlowly

MrSlowly Registered

So I was recently looking into buying rFactor 2 and to test out if my rather old desktop (the machine I use to sim race) would be able to handle it without an upgrade I decide to try the demo.

Everything installed fine and ran fine until I tried to actually launch the game. The launcher was OK and launched fine, but when I tried to go into single player, after clicking launch demo, the rfactor 2 splash screen would appear for a slip second and then it would revert to the launcher, the task manager confirming that the launcher process had been terminated, no rfactor 2 process had started and the launcher would be brought back up.

After searching in vain for a solution to my problem, I decide to try it out on another system (my laptop, about 6 months old) expecting that the problem may have been related to outdated hardware, but alas the problem persisted in the exact same manner it did on the desktop.

I already tried scrapping every bit of knowledge and fixes tried for this issue with no luck whatsoever, could someone please offer me their assistance.

Thank you in advance

2. Justy

Justy Registered

A new build was released on Friday. It "may" be an issue with the new demo, which will also have been updated at the same time.

Only things I can think to try, if of course, you haven't already tried, would be to try running the rF2 launcher as an administrator and/or to manually create an exception for rF2 in your firewall software.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

3. MrSlowly

MrSlowly Registered

The issue is not build related, as it persisted through 3 builds (I am that stubborn).

Also, already tried all the "common" fixes for software failures of the kind and none have worked.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not particularly easy to offer advice when you have unusual symptoms on two different machines, and state up front that you've tried every/all common fixes. If you're that stubborn and willing to work at it, it might help to explain what you have done, both in setting the game up (video config, for example, just to confirm that's ok), and in trying to fix it. Also filling your PC specs in your profile, although it's apparently not a single PC problem as such, it may help to narrow things down in some way.

Right now you've got an unusual issue and have tried basically everything anyone could suggest. Not an easy troubleshooting task :)

5. MrSlowly

MrSlowly Registered

And that really bothers me, initially I thought it was a problem with my desktop being somewhat dated (E8400, 6Gb Ram, Nv 8800GT), I tried all the standard stuff you do, like running as admin, running without network or anti-virus restrictions, running with no network, running in compatability mode, searching for blatantly obvious missing files, making sure dx and msvcr are correctly configured (even searching if there was a dll missing), searching for similar problems (the ones that do exist date back to 2012 and the solutions given don't resolve my problem). At that point I kind of gave up on the fact that I wasn't going to be able to play on my desktop and decided to try and see how it run on my laptop (i7 47xx (can't recall right now, but pretty good), 12Gb Ram, Nv GTX 850M), and the same exact problem arose.

It's weird because the the same exact presentation. And in both cases I couldn't edit the video settings, well I could, but they wouldn't save afterwards. Driver problem is unlikely as I keep my drivers up to date on my laptop with the GFExperience software, although in my desktop they lag a little behind, not ancient, but not fresh, and they were running different (and in the case of the desktop multiple) drivers, although it may have something to do with that end.

I'm lost for ideas, if anyone has some, I'd love your help.

EDIT: almost forgot: desktop OS: Vista 32bit, Laptop OS: 10 64bit

6. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Does the OS event log show any errors and if so what does it say?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, this itself is an issue. Can't expect the game to start and run without video settings working properly. Where are you installing the game - default folders? Have you tried a completely different folder outside of any standard directories (program files etc)?

8. MrSlowly

MrSlowly Registered

I feel awfully stupid now, just changing install directories to just rFactor2 (a la NR2003) fixed it. No idea why.

Thank you all.