FFB and Track: after couple laps I felt more vibration on the wheel, any idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Skan

Skan Registered

Joe, go to options in the UI. You can disable tire wear and some other things if You choose. I disable the tire wear often when i'm just driving around alone in single player. I do have invulnerability turned on during these solo practice drives. Online races... I have to go by the rules and settings that the host has decided and that is fine by me.

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

:confused: We once had a guy here called Speed, your English is better but you could have been his brother.
    Sorry for OT carry on i'm done here can't handle so much BS

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Yeah, I feel the same way exactly... This is a Jo(e)ke.

4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Then stop feeding the troll, if that is what you think.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You would do yourself a favour if you learned what the game does.

A flatspot isn't generated when the game detects a particular state or action; the tyres wear at the contact patch at all times based on the current sliding. If you keep the same part of the tyre in contact with the road surface for a longer period of time (ie lock a wheel) then the single part of the tyre is worn more than the rest. The flatspot created then creates a vibration for two reasons: 1. the rotating tyre is obviously slightly 'flattened' at that point, so the axle will drop slightly.. but this depends on speed too... and 2. the now unbalanced weight of the tyre will create an oscillation as it rotates. That's what the game does.

There's no switch or test that says hey, you've locked a wheel, now you'll have a flatspot... you just develop a flatspot because of the wear you put on the tyre, same as real life. You can then treat the tyre well and keep that one flatspot, which slowly seems better as the rest of the rubber wears down (through corners you'll have less load on the flatspot, for the reason (1) explained above), or you can create another flatspot on the tyre and have two (or more), or you can lock the wheel on the same flatspot and make it worse. Just like real life.

So you can turn tyre wear off completely, or you have to put up with flatspots (ie drive to avoid creating them).

By the way, at any time you're asking the tyres to do something for you there is some sort of sliding going on, so sliding is a major component of any tyre model. A locked wheel with an unchanging contact patch is one of the simpler scenarios, so there's no reason to think it's something game developers are going to struggle with. ISI's own tyre tool tutorial (from 2+years ago) links to a document with plenty of detail about tyre behaviour and modeling. Might be worth a read.

6. Joe

Joe Registered

@Lazza
    I do not think their ttool doc mention the "flatspot". If you believe the way you described how the "flatsport" be developed is fine with me.
    To me the "flatspot" a distinct tire stage where must be a trigger to simulate in their model. Again, it is "black art", like most gaming developer said. I have nothing more to say on this. Believe what you believe. For a game player, sure having a fun online to play with. For a pro training, I doubt he will take this feature too series.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Oh lawdy....
    Right, I'm done here XD

8. Joe

Joe Registered

A problem for this is that you turn off the tire wear too. then you lost all the dynamic grip (there are max 32 grip levels per their "DegradationPerWareFraction").

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, so flatspots are a separate effect to tyre wear. Because you said so.

Have fun.

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

In response to OP...

Flat spotting is caused by the driver from locking up wheels. Solution? Stop locking up wheels. Any separation from consequences of your actions is a bad idea. If it were up to me, I'd eliminate the ability to restart a race also. He'll, I'd even like a feature that allows me to race only one race per day. How can you learn how to improve when you don't feel the consequences of your actions? Just like real life.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

eerr...next time read the thread ;) we've been round this a hundred times and he won't ever grasp reality!

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Oh, sh!t!! You have no fücking clue whatya talking about.lol
    Popcorn, or gun?

13. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

14. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Agreed.

Threads like this on forums makes me question the future of the human species. It's not just sim racing forums where this happens either.

pkelly likes this.
  15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You start to be annoying.
    Since you apparently cannot drive properly you start to question physics realism despite being advised and told by others that they find flatspotting quite realistic and that they can handle it properly.

Your arguments about sliding vs rolling state and not having sufficient data for the former are completely ridiculous. Sliding state is for sure much easier to simulate since all the track contact points have similar relative sliding and heat generation will be easier to calculate. A flat spot can be easily measured and correlated to sliding distance and tire load. I am sure that there are tons of data about it.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Again your arguments of sliding being black art are ridiculous.

Normal tyre wear which is produced my microsliding within the contact path is much more difficult to simulate.

According to your theories, brakes would be the hardest part to simulate and actually they are probably easily parametrized within any sim.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

17. Joe

Joe Registered

rF2 sliding state was not realistic at all. Ask any real drifter will tell you. Actually, there is no sim can do realistic sliding or drift today.
    see at 20m:

this forum sucks....I bet most of them's IQ probably < 90.

peevee likes this.
  18. peevee

peevee Registered

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I agree with Joe the vibration is fake (and I have a Fanatec) and option to kill it should be allowed... or at least allow the guy to suggest it. All the wannabe racing experts who have no clue but pretend they do. Why attack the guy so relentlessly like a bunch of queens on crack. I also agree with the IQ of the forum shills tripping over themselves to blow smoke up Tim's @ss makes me cringe. Been simming for over two decades and all I can say is pretend race cars 'experts' are a bunch of w@nkers!

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Why drag up a year old thread to support something most of us were pointing out can't be switched off, because that's not how it works?

peterchen and Ronnie like this.
  20. peevee

peevee Registered

Because I am having the same problem and after hunting down a solution ended up in this pit