RFactor 2 Advanced Car Set up Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Sep 13, 2015.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

View attachment 17930

Why
    There have been some very good and some exceptional set up guides written for ISI Motor (and other) sims in the past including the Racer Alex Advanced F1 set-up guide which was written 13 years ago for the EA F1 2002 Challenge game. A lot of water has passed under the bridge in sim-racing and simulation engines in those 13 years! More stuff works like real life and so there is more to know.
    Our goal in writing this guide is to respect but also build on such guides and to bring them up to date with some more contemporary information on what works in the current build (Build Max 998) of RF2.
    We also see an opportunity to bring into the picture the knowledge base and skill of some race winning drivers and engineers from what is the highest level open wheeler competition available in the R factor 2 environment, Formula Sim Racing.
    It is aimed at saloon as well as open wheeler racing.

This guide is unnoffical but has been endorsed by ISI who linked it on their homepage and rated it "awesome".

This is Version 1.0 If you spot any errors or ommissions feel free to say so (but thats a given really!!)

V1.1 added. Some corrections (such as Degna not Lesmo!), enhanced guidance on camber post "phase one" of the process, more info on differing brake disc sizes in the brake cooling section and grammar and spelling tidy ups. Thanks for the feed back.

Edit: we got a full 5 min blog in the Simpit

[video]http://thesimpit.com/en/news/commen...Advanced-Setup-Guide-by-David-OReilly[/video]

The links to the guide have been deleted for commercial reasons. Thank you for those who have expressed their support and appreciation, David

UPDATE 5TH MARCH 2016

After getting into a minor diplomatic crisis at home from spending £1,000 on a new OSW wheel I have made the decision to move this guide to a sales model to at least defray some sim racing costs.
    IE It will be something people can buy.

Some people will find this really upsetting, I can understand that.* The divine right of players to get stuff for free being one of the gaming commandments in many cultures.

Others might feel that for the roughly the price of.......
    1. a high street cup of coffee or
    2. one print edition of Autosport or most magazines.
    3. 1/10th the annual Xbox live subscripton
    4. (or possibly more relevant) 10% of the price of the RF2 sim itself.

Is it fair?
    It is the fruit of between 800 and 1000 hours of my personal testing and set up work and draws on the knowledge of some of the world top sim racers. Its been endorsed by serious Simracing journalists and by ISI themselves.
    It will have a shelf life of several years. (The last really good one was written 13 years ago!)
    It will help my family understand this affliction of sim racing addiction.

The simpit video review should give you a fair taste of the contents. I will add here the contents page.

1) Introduction and scope. Page 3
    2) Set Up Parameters explained. Page 4
    3) The set-up Process. Page 27 (where we show you how to take any car from defaults to race ready)
    4a) Developing a race strategy. Page 40
    4b) Set -up for qualifying. Page 44
    4c) Set -up for Endurance Racing. 4d) Wet Set up. Page 44
    5a) Problem solution matrix/table. Page 45
    5b) Tyre wear impact/solution table. Page 46
    6) Bibliography, credits. Page 47
    7) Index to content (and abbreviations). Page 48

So if you feel that it will make Rfactor2 (or your favourite sim) 10% more fun then its probably a fair price.

All the revenues will be directly re invested in sim racing, unless we suddenly become a global top seller and I cant soak it all up with triples, £500 pedals, more graphics cards etc etc in which case It will buy a real world racing car.

I will be setting up a site to download the guide. In the meantime you can send me a PM and I will organise it for you.

The price includes free updates as and when they are published.
    If you are a registered and licensed Formula Simracing driver you get it for half price.

The price:
    £4.00 or €5.00

To purchase
    the guide please send €5 to paypal address davidporeilly@hotmail.com
    Put your email address in the seller instructions.
    Upon receipt I will email you the guide.
    Thanks for reading.

Some unsolicted feedback;

It should definitely belong here as well, so that it's clearly visible to anyone visiting the rF2 section! For this reason, I have also pinned the thread to the top of the forum. Great work David O'Reilly and co. This will almost certainly come in handy to even the most experienced of sim-racers. :thumbsup:
    Daiman P, staffmember and team owner.

Fantastic work David, thank you and your contributors. This is essential reading or anyone who actually bothers to tinker with setups. I have had a quick read and already you have opened my eyes to some flaws with some of my setups.

Thanks once again, your place is assured in sim racing heaven. This is already helped take of some downforce from the Corvette C6R and improve cornering and throttle application on exit of medium speed corners. Thanks again for 'THE' reference tool.

Lazarou

Excellent work! Many thanks. This will really help a lot.:thumbsup:
    Stenne-Ajka S

David....I came across your guide just last night and downloaded it. It's very long and extremely well put together. I plan on reading every word of it , probably a few times. Thank you so much for putting that thing together!
    Jeff H Nov 2015

Maybe I haven't been really looking around enough for good information but that guide posted by David is the first guide to very simply and quickly explain to me what the Bump settings actually affect and why you should use them.

I also appreciate the comments in it like The first misconception we need to dispell [sic] is that stiffer is better or Rule #1. Change only one thing at a time and make a substantial change.

P*Funk Jan 2016

EDIT Jan 2018
    The guide has been updated and expanded. It's now called
    "The Sim Racers Performance Guide"
    More content on finding driver performance, some bespoke video support and some links to existing videos.
    More details here
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ced-car-set-up-guide.49984/page-5#post-925328

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Thank you. It is always useful to have this for reference.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Errors? Well... I hate to gripe, but as far as I know it's always been rFactor (and now rFactor 2)... I hate hate haaaaaate "R factor" etc... :eek:

4. David O'Reilly

Ok its fixed. ;)
    Oops.
    BTW you get a mention.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I noticed that :rolleyes: lol

Having a quick glance through I think it looks good, Alex's old guide got a LOT of reading and it's great to have someone put in the time to get something happening to address the current sim state of play.

I will admit though, I'm not sure where the Lesmo corners are at Suzuka... I thought they were in Italy ;)

6. David O'Reilly

I always get lesmos and degna curves mixed up. 2 right handers with the same name.
    Good spot
    I have updated the source doc with that correction.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow that document looks good.
    Can't wait to dive properly into it.
    Great work so far, and thanks a bunch!

8. Axe

Axe Registered

yeah, it seems to be very interesting from first look.
    Typos I spotted:
    cosimmo, right is cosimo
    nordschliefe, nordschleife

9. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Many thanks for doing this.

10. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Downloading. As usual.
    Never learn nothing because i´m too lazy. As always. :p

Thanks. Now waiting for the osmosis edition :(

11. David O'Reilly

My wife reckons if you sleep with it under your pillow.

12. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

thank you David

13. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

ahaha if i get similar results when i tried that in school, my cars won´t be able pass the pace car :p

14. samuelw

samuelw Registered

Thanks for the setup guide. Had a quick read through and learned stuff I didn't know thank you. One thing I don't understand is the diff pump. How does it work? What does it do? How exactly does it affect handling? Most of my previous sim time has been in racers without a diff pump, but my current love the ASR 412T2 has one. Any enlightenment appreciated. (I tried experimenting between 0% diff pump and 100% diff pump. While i could detect a difference in feel I'm not sure it made a real difference in speed.)
    Sam W

15. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Firstly, thanks for putting together the guide. Obviously a lot of work went into it and I know I will refer to it often.
    Just one question as I'm often confused by Differential settings.
    You say increase Differential to achieve less over steer but in my experience it is the opposite.
    I guess the question is; does the percentage slider mean percentage of lock or percentage of slip?

16. David O'Reilly

Yes in my experience more diff lock on power side decreases (exit) over-steer. (makes the car go straighter).
    The higher the number the greater the lock. (opposite in some sims/games)
    So we have different experiences.:)

17. rolandhaans

rolandhaans Registered

I feel both experiences apply. In my experience, decreasing the lock might cause less understeer at corner-exit in an underpowered car, but might as well cause power-oversteer in a high-powered car. That's the reason drift cars preferably have a LSD, because otherwise they would simply smoke up the inner tire in an attempt to create power oversteer.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

18. Axe

Axe Registered

what I know more locked differential more understeer but only within grip limit. when out of the limit more diff lock means snap oversteer.

19. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Great. Many thanks for the big effort. :)

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Maybe because in a high-powered car you can produce enough torque to cause the less loaded inside rear to spin (thus reduce driving force from the inside rear tyre) but not with the more heavier loaded and thus gripper outside rear...hence oversteer tendency under throttle/power. Whilst in an less-powerful car, unable to produce enough torque on either of the rear tyres to cause either tyre to spin meaning both rear tyres will have more equal traction, (tending towards a) locked diff will cause understeer tendency under throttle/power.