Rear tire patch contact area and grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Sep 11, 2015.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+10 Rony

" Seat of your pants" like I said since GPL days.

;)

All the imaginary data in the world in other sims can't replicate the feedback you get in rfactor2.

2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Different Cars, different behaviour and the Cobra was from the beginning only available with cpm so how can it be better like before without cpm?

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Beggars the question.

How can F3 Eve feel like physics nirvana with no features. :) ...but it does. :)

You right 100% I had to listen to long winded explanation from guys I respect opinions and wanted to mod rfactor2 years ago why the Covette / Lime Rock demo sucked, ergo rFactor2 must suck.

I mean how does anyone remotely serious make this deduction from 1 early reiteration of 1 build, car and track.

OT

Anyway my one hope is that RF2 does not come a car wrecking yard with so many cheap clone conversions and tyres like in a another sim.

Suddenly every man and his pooch is a physics guru ? and they all drive awesome ! LMAO !

I can only imagine some of the monstrous cars will be in pCars , like I said anyone can be a fizzix guru these days. ( rollseyes)

Sorry good AC track convertors are many , physics gurus are like gold.

.........without good modding physics CPM won't make diddly squat difference.

For mine I yet to drive a rF2 mod comes up to best ISI cars yet, CPM or not. No offence intended.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
  4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Ehh, what ? You don't make any sense, DD - please spend a bit more time on your wording than you do hitting that enter key (only guy I know who always use 3-4 empty lines between text) :p

5. romano2603

romano2603 Registered

Tire pressure has no influence on car behaviour.. You can see it yourself.. Put highest tire pressure on rear of the car and put the lowest tire pressure on front of the car.. You should have major oversteer, but nothing happens.. Car feels the same as any other tire pressure you choose.. It's just placebo effect for you guys..

The CPM is not still finished in RF2 and tire doesn't change it's structure changing the pressure.. I'll be happy if somebody prove me i'm wrong.. Or if ISI could bring us final polished version of CPM..

Don't get me wrong, i'm one of the biggest fans of RF2, but i can't make the car and tires the way they should be for proper racing and proper grip

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I just tried this on the GTR at Bathurst and I immediately noticed massive oversteer, I then gently went round until the tires warmed up to Racing Temps and then drove a Racing lap....again massive amounts of Oversteer compared to my normal proper pressure setup. Not a placebo for me, it works as it should.

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Nissan GTR has the best CPM updated GT tyres to udate, no doubt!

8. Joe

Joe Registered

Can any one give a clear description what those terms means: CPM enabled, non-CPM, updated CPM, or old CPM?

NGTR v1.47: is with old CPM or non-CPM or CPM not enabled?
    NGTR v1.60: is with new CPM (updated CPM) or CPM enabled?

What is actual difference between them in terms of tyre model?

thanks

9. Nibo

Nibo Registered

NGTR v1.47: has old version of Contact Patch Model (there always was some form of this model, I think)
    NGTR v1.60: has updated CPM or you can say its "New" CPM. It is better model.

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

It means the same as meal eaten, meal consumed, to have a meal...

Don't look too deep into every word, please.

Old GTR was over 1 year old so guess if it had CPM if only karts onwards (since april THIS year) have it.

New GTR has general tweaks and CPM layer of tyre model on top of it. That's it.

Every single car that was released before build 946 (that was the number I believe) and before Karts didn't have CPM.

In terms of old CPM, new CPM it can't be named like that because I believe it is still WIP and it might get some rework, changes, tweaks with every build, every car release.

It's like buying an ice-cream once every 1 year. It's still called "something-something" but they changed how much cream they use to make it. You may or you may not feel any difference in taste but chemically it is altered product, they just decided to not make a fuss about it on paper that was wrapped around the ice-cream. Same I think might be happening here. There is still some work being done and we may feel it, notice it or we may not. So calling everything old, new cpm isn't the best way I think. It's just CPM. It evolves but it is still CPM.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
  11. Joe

Joe Registered

I am really confused. Please be very specific if you know.

Here is Tim earlier response:
    "CPM = contact patch model (where we improved the actual contact patch detail levels), if you go here and click order by date last updated above the Indycar, anything newer than Apr 6 has CPM, including the Kodi rF1 conversion. http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/ "

If I understand him correctly, I will think all cars before Apr 6 of 2015 would be non-CPM and afterward will with CPM.

12. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

That's exactly what it means. No more. No less.

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Could be single point vs multi point contact patch modelling :)

14. yusupov

yusupov Registered

it is of course technically "NCPM" but iracing trademarked all the N-tire related abbreviations so we just call it CPM or CPM update.

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Correct, there CAN be no such thing as a non contact patch model, that's just silly to suggest - it may be worded as such, but clearly all tyres require their contact to the road simulated in some sort of model, and has been :)

16. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

If you guys talk about tire temps do you compare them from motec or just with the hud + the garage display? because i think people are writing that the hud and garage tire temps are surface temps and not actual the temps inside the tire. So you would need motec or another data extraction tool to get to the real tire temps after a couple of laps.

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, the hud and garage display surface temps, hence them shooting up quickly in a slide or cooling quickly when sitting still.

18. msportdan

msportdan Banned

i know you guys are going thru this with a fine comb, but for me im loving what cpm is bringing to rf2. For me its takes the cars and handling more away from the rf1 feeling. Im only driving CPM cars now, theres a nice selection coupled with the apex mod.

RF2 great times ahead i feel this sim is finally pulling away from its rivals i feel more than ever.

my new HOT sim!

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Love deja vu...lol

20. msportdan

msportdan Banned

lol im getting that at RD too.

its not my fault i cant make my mind up , and these devs continually update their games.