How to get AF wheel work on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Joe

Joe Registered

I finally got my AF wheel installed. Tested on Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1, and rFactor 2 games.
    It does not work with rFactor 2. The FFB upon on reverse direction. How can I invert the FFB? I see no such option in either rFactor 2 or AF SW setting.
    thanks

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think there is setting for that in controller.json file.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Reverse it in the controller file.

Also set whatever max torque amount you're wheel has, or is set to use; in the controller file. It's called steering torque capability

4. cookie

cookie Registered

To reverse ffb effects in the controller JSON "Steering effects strength#":"+10000 to -10000 for the Device Name 4":"6 axis 48 button device" (Accuforce) when you get your wheel setup, Or you can use the T500 wheel profile in the controller setup as the t500 needs reverse ffb as well.
    On a side note the max torque setting (13 Nm) didn't seem to make a difference on my A/F wheel and 27 Nm on my OSW made my ffb weak any ideas ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  5. Joe

Joe Registered

Thanks all, now works!

6. Joe

Joe Registered

This seems confuse to me. Although in the comments of json file states unit is Nm, but I doubt it actually is meaningful? For the game (modeling) the FFB is normalized value. Hence the max value could be applied to all the cars. But we know each car max torque is different. The mapping the max value to each car max torque is really on the HW wheel itself (the game itself cannot and will not know what actually max torque of wheel). Unless the game calibrates with a specific wheel knowing what is the max value corresponding HW max output.

7. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Did you mean Steering Torque Capability?

If so, the reason why it may not have made any difference to the ffb feel on the AF Pro is that the car you were driving had a nominal max steering torque only slighter greater than 13Nm. So for example, if we assume the car you were testing the STC values in was in a car with (for example) a nominal max of 14Nm, you would not feel any difference because your STC value for 13Nm for the AF is below the Nominal max for that car. In fact you could use any STC value between 0-14Nm here and get the same result (i.e. no change to ffb) because it's at or below the 14Nm nominal max steering torque.

The nominal max value is set by the car/mod maker and they ideally set it so the maximum virtual steering wheel torques around high speed corners when racing the car correlates with 100% ffb with the default car-specific ffb multiplier of 1.0. This way none of the available ffb range is wasted and minimal clipping occurs. So if you use an STC value that is twice as high as the car specific nominal max (e.g. 27Nm for your OSW), suddenly the max virtual steering wheel torque occurs at only half your available ffb range. The consequence of which is much weaker feeling ffb on your OSW.

If you try the 13Nm and 27Nm STC values with say an Indy Car that should have a Nominal max steering torque far higher than 27Nm, you will see no change in the respective ffb feel in each wheel compared to the default STC value of 2.5Nm.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Exactly, unless the STC value is less than the specific car's nominal steering max torque value, then the STC setting gets ignored.

The nominal steering max torque is a value which is set from the car modder/creator. It's pretty-much just whatever value the modder/creator feels like setting. Pretty-much a random number from the player's point of view.

10. cookie

cookie Registered

So what should I set my Steering Torque Capability to with the OSW wheel ?
    "Steering torque capability":27,
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",
    because at 27 Nm and maximum 100% in Mmos ffb and car-specific ffb multi at 1.00 I hardly have any ffb with the BT 20.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Then simply increase the car-specific ffb multiplier value above 1.0 for cars with ffb that feels too weak to you.

Can you confirm that the car that it feels too weak in ffb on your OSW with 27Nm STC is not even close to reaching max ffb as shown on techade's plugin?

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Something must be wrong then. DO you agree, DrR1?

13. cookie

cookie Registered

Hi DrR1pper I can't seem to get techade's plugin to work i've placed it in Bin64\Plugins and tried editing the UserData ini folder but no luck, anyway with "Steering torque capability at 22 Nm, I need the car-specific ffb multi at 1.80 to have the same force as std 2.5 Nm at 1.00 car-specific ffb multi there's no difference in feel either way.
    edit
    rF2PedalOverlayPlugin works if turn multi view off so it must be hidden behind my bezel when multi view is on, any ideas on settings I've tried changing the X and Y offset but doesn't show up.

[General]
    OverlayEnabled=True
    OffsetX=1000
    OffsetY=1000
    BarWidth=12
    BarHeight=50
    DetailedLog=False
    FilteredInputs=False

All's good got it working no ffb clipping at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

ok, going to take a stab and guess you're driving the skippy when comparing stc values affect on ffb?

If ffb multi 1.80 at stc 22Nm equals 1.00 at 2.5Nm, then car specific nominal max has to be around 12Nm which sounds like the skippy.

15. cookie

cookie Registered

No the BT20
    Does it matter which way I set it up? I think I'll leave it at 22Nm and adjust the car specific to my liking.

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

oh, ok. Suprised then, would have thought the BT20 nominal max is much higher than ~12Nm but maybe not.

You can leave STC at 22Nm or you can use the correct value of 27Nm for your wheel and just increase the FFB multi to 2.21 to achieve the same result. The reason i think it's better to use the correct STC value that reflects your ffb wheel is that should you come across a car that feels adequately strong with the default ffb multi of 1.00 and that doesn't suffer clipping, then you will know that you have 1:1 steering torque matching. That is if it's something you care about.

17. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

My first though would be that if ffb is too weak with ffb multi at 1.0 and stc at 27 nm, the wheel is not really producing 27 Nm at the max. I think too low ampere setting could cause that. With small mige, 13 A and stc at 20 Nm, forces i get with skip barber and BT 20 are pretty believable imo.

Other possibilities are that you have got used to very strong ffb or you have large diameter rim on your system.

18. cookie

cookie Registered

So at 13 amps with the small mige you get 20Nm of force, is there any need to increase the amps if never going to use more than 20Nm of force? I'm using a 310 mm rim.

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Nope.
    My rim is 280 mm. I tried 320 mm rim and it made ffb feel notable weaker but i still got as much force as i wanted, but i prefer smaller rim because of it's lower inertia.

20. Joe

Joe Registered

If I understand well (learned from this thread), I may summarize:
    two assumptions we have to make: 1) we are talking here is linear problem. Otherwise, there is no solution here on this topic; 2) one can somehow actually measure physical output torque from a wheel.

From controller.json file, the steering wheel output from -10000 to +10000. So the max output to a controller is 10000 no matter what.
    For the default setting of STC is 2.5 Nm in the file. I will assume that is the value used while developing and using a game wheel happened to have 2.5Nm peak torque at that time. it is not that important since it is relative intrinsic value.

For each simulated car, the max torque of course is different. Say, for Car A with peak steering torque 10 Nm, if one set the Multiple = 1 (100%) and like to have his wheel actually output peak torque at 10Nm, one has to calibrate it first to make sure. If one set STC = 10 Nm and multiple =1, then one has to adjust the gain of his wheel to measure the peak torque until he gets 10 Nm. Let's say he got it with the gain = Y (say Y=10 amps on his OSW -- just made up the number to illustrate here).

Now, lets look at Car B with peak torque at 20Nm. he can do following two ways: 1) set the STC = 20 Nm and multiple = 2, with same gain Y on his wheel; this could be OK or maybe clipping; 2) he can set STC =20Nm and same multiple = 1, but increase his wheel gain by sqr(20/10)*Y = 1.4Y = 14 Amp in this case.

Same way for Car C, D, etc.