rF2 vs rF1 online activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Aug 10, 2015.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The good Old days are gone, don't worry about my posts B just the BP kickin' in. lol

Wow we had open rooms everywhere for years I had 300+ drivers on my list for one car/one track in the first year, people used to stay for hours lapping and tweaking.

Then the Leagues settle and poof, it is like you too good for wreckers. heheheh

Like I mean mate no RealLife F1 driver ever got "wrecked" did he ? ..........leagues wrap themselves in a bubble. lol ;) jk jk

Is tyre temps going to make that much difference and will changes stay relevant true for all cars in all conditions including add on cars and tracks.
    In ya dreams.

People been driving Pro leagues for 20 years across a myriad of sims , how did they ever survive. ? lol

It will make no difference for OPEN ROOM online and "most" Offliners both which do shorter races and which I assume makes up the bulk of rF2 users.

As someone pointed out in a thread only a small majority online.

So I got to ask why does "stuff" like middle tyre temps matter ? then on the other hand I get depressingly in no uncertain terms get told "open rooms" ... "don't matter" in the big scheme of things.

The way open rooms are these days I guess they don't. p

My point my room is boring yes, but why not a F2 and a F1 , BT20 and Howstons Room done the same.

where is everybody

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  2. bwana

bwana Registered

hoping its just a online/open room hiatus for many as they either enjoy the offline capabilities of RF2 or wait to hear that online is working perfectly from one of the many reviews ;).. No doubt the flood of games in the last 2 years has effected numbersas well but in the long run will increase numbers here as racers search for a better simulation .

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Most people dont want to commit to leagues, this is a videogame, not a profession. If a game depends on leagues for it's customers then good luck with a tiny customer base and with the game/company surviving. Imagine only "clans" played first-person shooters? You'd probably cut the player-base by 95%.

4. boxer

boxer Registered

Same here...
    I would never had given the F3 a chance before ... It was on DD's room that I got hocked..
    I highly recommend anyone to join his room... You will have Lots of fun and will learn a lot.... DD is very informative regarding the track and cars in his room... Now I can actually lap with the f3 without crashing... (OK may be sometimes I can... :)

It's a great palace to learn and have fun.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Correct, and I hope you understand that this is exactly the direction rF2 is and has been heading for the last year or two. The little online activity what remains is increasingly league only. This is why my concerns and why I started this thread.

6. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yeah, I agree. That's very sad of rF2.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

But why does it seem to be focussed on leagues? surely not rf2 itself, it has been made easier to join online compared to rf1.
    Is it the increased difficulty?
    Or is it just too many sims and racing games out there. I feel that killed our league for the large part, just too much things to do and any 'serious' petrol-head or simmer is likely to own multiple/all sims and since there are so many, how does one focus on just one?
    Fragmentation in a tiny community perhaps.
    All those people in rf1 had to go somewhere?

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You're making things up as you go. In the OP you said this is the reason" "It seems more leagues are back to using rF1 than around half a year ago. Perhaps ISI should conduct a study from drivers and league admins why they prefer to stay with rF1."

9. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

There is a whole bunch of reasons for it that cumulatively result in the situation we have today. There is no point getting bogged down over single issues.

Probably this discussion should have taken place 12 months ago or even 18. It's never too late but MP is really dead on its feet, I think when things decline too close to the absolute limit it is very difficult to recover, but what do I know. I will always race RF2 but in all honestly I do not think the MP will ever recover now, I hope I am wrong. This has all been so clear to see coming for so long.

10. Depco

Depco Registered

*Slightly off topic but relevant to the conversation*

I had an interesting conversation last night on my Assetto Corsa server. I was on trying to pimp my league and get interest in our next race. As I told people about our league I always told them we had moved over from rF2 and that rF2 was, hands down, the best sim on the market. To a man, they said "I have heard that". Yet none of them had purchased it. This struck me as a large part of the problem. As I was trying to get people interested in our AC league, I was not delving into the reasons for not purchasing rF2, bit it shows that people know about rF2. They simply choose to purchase/race the game that is more accessible. AC is on steam and purchased by a TON of up and coming simmers. Something to think about maybe.

Also maybe the new simmers want community building tools. Each person I spoke with asked for my Steam handle. While this may seem like a natural thing if you are a steam user, there is no equivalent in rF2. No friends list, no favorite server list, No central chat window or gathering spot. Simply put, no tools to build an online community. I didnt race rF1 but I recall there being a listing of the people online and a lobby of sorts. I think including these features would help in building that community.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  11. stonec

stonec Registered

As random players move away, leagues eventually will as well. The only league who has big success with rF2 is VEC, which is nice, but it's mostly because rF2 is the only sim available with endurance features. Regarding my comment, I know that for example GPVWC league have had some experiments with rF2, now they are back to rF1 it seems. Here's a broadcast link from the recent race of champions event, that was organized on rF1 :confused:.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There's simply too many games out there with too many cars, with too great graphics, and good ENOUGH physics.

Most people in the world are unfortunately not purists - not just with simracing but anything in life in general - and therefore "good enough" physics is good enough for them if it means also having fancy modern graphics, more game modes, more vehicles to choose from, more famous car brands, etc.

Ir's never too late for RF2 or rather ISI. I feel that giving the game a more modern and polished feel would be a start, maybe starting with actually being able to select series like in RF1, then doing a championship based on that series/car type. I think more graphics changes need to be made to give it a more modern feel. Things need to look richer and grab the eye more during non-sunset/sunrise times. Maybe some notification should be displayed showing the winner's name and best laptime and also the driver's name with the race's best laptime or something (kind of gives a little reward/recognition to each race without getting gimmicky and "videogamey"). Make a new UI that looks good and invites you in and looks and feels like something made in the last 3 years. I think there were constant lighting and HDR coding updates to PCars and AC over the last year or two while RF2 just had small HDR tweaks here and there - tweaks that just look like slightly altered HDR values (like you can play with in devmode) rather than actual core graphics engine updates.

I use 3D (Nvidia 3D Vision) which makes everything look freaking amazing and real to the eye and brain, but for the mass majority of people using 2D, well, even SCE looks richer and "pops" more than RF2 and it's constant grey, bland, low contrast/gamma look.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I rather constant grey bland look and simply the best feel in sims.

You say there are enough and good enough physics.

I say cods wallop. hehehe

It is just a crying shame more people don't see it.

Yes I agree all you say Spin ....... it is like David said 90% of people play with Ai.....or themselves.

How depressing. lool ;)

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

As you know I feel that leagues is where it's at. But I also feel pickup racing is also important as it's a stepping stone to leagues just as AI is a stepping stone to pickup racing. So although many people may be racing offline, at least they may one day venture into pickup racing and eventually find their way into a league. So although I don't do pickups or race with AI, I do feel they are all important to the success of the sim and our comunity.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That's an interesting story and a great point. Another thing Steam adds is some sort of cheat protection which rF could benefit from. I am not a gamer at all. I have Steam installed for a few games my son plays and for pCARS and AC. So I don't really use it much but I am not opposed to it and I don't agree with the doom and gloom that often surrounds Steam. If it brings more drivers then I am all for it. The interesting thing is the rF2 MM actually has the list of players in the raw data but the game doesn't display this info. But it would be easily possible for a 3rd party app to locate which server your friends are on. Maybe one day something like this could be integrated right into the game.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Me and a guy named Paul a great race at Monza with Ai , 50% damage , 30 minutes and gave 120% Ai a head start.

I swear I never had any idea the low numbers that online.

pCars sold a million how many online that ? Are there more online consoles then PC's ? ! :eek: lol
    I had a look at servers I don't see 1% let alone 10%

The world is full of offline pussies !@!

lol jk jk ;)

17. David Wright

David Wright Registered

You can only see PC players on a PC - you can't see the console players. Around 200,000 of the million sales were on PC. pCARs also has a regional filter on the lobby - you won't see European servers in Australia.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Thanks, interesting about the 5:1 PC ratio, never realized that.

-----

Ever since Driver was released all I wanted is a sim would make GTA look like kids play.

Real physics, not just cop chases , have racetracks, drag strips etc to drive to.

One big map everyone joins...........then you would only need 0.1% online at anyone time.

MCO II :)

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

And however broken and unfulfilled it may be, pCARS tries to have an extensive single-player mode.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not helping ............... >>>> :(

lol ;)