rF2 vs rF1 online activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Like how many ovals does one need?!?!

rF2, including 3rd party, already has: Indy, Mountain Peak, Joesville, TWS, Daytona, Nazareth, & Kentucky.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

WTF? So you're saying that a lot of RF1 players haven't moved onto RF2 because they can't illegally download and play RF2 like they can with RF1? How the hell is that even considered a reason when they shouldn't even be playing RF1 in the first place since they're doing it illegally? What a bunch of cheap, ungrateful assholes.

Sorry (to ISI) for the swearing but it makes my blood boil when people do something like that, especially when it comes to a really passionate and niche genre (simracing) and small, niche developers like ISI who deserve much more support than they get. Why would any rFactor player/fan not help support ISI? Those ppl should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

Piracy happens on all fronts, every type of game. I think it might even have helped rF1 some way with exposure, but who knows how it has affected sales. AC has been pirated as well but still has sold 250k copies on Steam, so it can't be the only reason why people don't race rF2.

From those the only track I could find available was Daytona (only road course). I hope I'm wrong and those tracks get released in reasonable time.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The question is how many quality (as in recent standards) tracks with oval configurations do we have? Mountain Peak and Indy are two. There may be more to be released with the Stock Cars but though Texas and Nazareth are mostly fine, they have outdated visuals and perhaps even not as high road resolution. The SimRaceWay Daytona is quite dated, the rf2 rF1/NR2003 conversion is even more. Until at least the US folks can run maybe 10 proper ovals, to get some sort of league calendar filled, there isn't much of an argument to be made.

It would be great to have sites like The US Pits and others back rF2 once there is a top notch stock car and a few tracks. Showing fans of stock/oval racing they have a modern platform to use, cheaper than iRacing, is important and providing some quality stock material to instigate that is fundamental.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I just make the distinction of all the types I hear say I like all sims I support all.

Explain to me anyone how pCars sells 1 million and rF2 how many ? ( you would not like to here the estimates we sadly guess in my room )

So in other words all those types or 95% of them talk out their butt holes or they would all at least own rF2 even if it was not there favorite to drive
    and there would be 10x as many online.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What about all the times I heard people say " OH support some greenlight ........... they deserve it"

To anyone out their brought pCars and AC and never brought rF2 , don't they get it , they are the ones need the support....................

Like you telling me what I consider ground breaking physics don't deserve it ???

No a million rather thank SMS for developing flawed setups and garage you can abuse to the limit. lol

Even if rF2 gathers dust on your PCs it deserves the same damm support.

gessus

7. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Where the hell is this discussion going?
    The main reason why most online servers are not heavily populated is clear.
    Personally, if I cannot get into a race within two minutes of launching the sim, I move on.
    That's where we are now... for the most part.
    I'm not unique in that regard.
    I can certainly understand both sides of the argument.
    On one hand, nobody wants guys coming in and purposely wrecking drivers and spoiling their online experience, so they set up leagues and passworded servers.
    The other part of that equation is...nobody wants to attempt to downloads loads of content for one specific session...especially if that downloaded content is not used.
    A partial answer is to have an infraction system which permanently bans guys who engage in 'bad' behavior...kind of a virtual steward.
    I think once that happens, server restrictions will be relaxed and the number of online racers will increase.
    I still follow the happenings here at ISI...but my own experience was so frustrating (trying to join races), that I don't even have RF2 installed anymore.
    It just became annoying to constantly click on server-after-server and be denied entry...or worst wait for a session download that fails to get all components.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I think around 10 minimum, good quality ovals would be fine for a proper league season. :) It won't take long just after Gen 6 release.

Well. Internet thinking gives anonymity (sorta) so when you know sth exists and you can enjoy sth as if it was bought legaly it will be downloaded. I own 2 (or maybe even 3. Can't remember if it was 3 but I'm sure of 2) copies of rF1 and I know for sure that at least 40 % of people I knew in the past that had rF1 had it downloaded illegaly and till this very day still don't own a legit copy. With rF2 it is harder because it has some sort of DRM implemented and since it is not an AAA, mainstream, hyped title that gets cracked almost few hours after release it seems that no one bothered to actually crack rF2 and that's why I believe no one (at least to my knowlage, could be wrong) has rF2 from other source than via official channels. What's really laughable is the fact that I know few people that won't buy rF2 out of principle because don't want to give away money for sth that could well be gotten from somewhere for free (while being able to actually afford it). Cringy.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Exactly, Saabjock. The MP room-creator having to pre-select a set of tracks and/or, even worse, the player/s being required to have that entire set of tracks is probably the biggest issue (I've been vocal about this multiple times).

GetMod (auto downloading) only partially fixes the problem because of the following reasons:
    - Even if GetMod is setup, many people don't want to wait, and won't bother, to download 3, 7, 12 etc. tracks just so that they can play for an hour or so, and on only 1, maybe 2, tracks.
    - Not everyone sets up GetMod
    - In rare cases, GetMod is only partially setup ie. auto download only happens for some of the cars (this is rare; usually GetMod is either fully setup or not setup at all but I've experienced 2 or 3 partial GetMod setups in the past 3 or 4 months)
    - The first point (top of list) can encourage MP room creators to severely limit tracks in their room or just go set a server up in another game instead.

Again though, the prototype dedicated server was a good first step so ISI are clearly aware of the problem, plus, they recently said a big MP system update is coming.

10. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

What the f*** are you reading man? Don't you understand that not everybody here CAN send money outside the country to BUY RF2? The government doesn't allow you to send american dollars outside the country. Can you understand that?

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Why?

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I would like to see ISI develop rF3 for a Single Series.

Nascar would be great place to start, they have basis for Ovals, cars , physics, add ovals, Sears and Watkins.

Each new series you pay again, you would pay life online with first series you buy.

People go back to wreckers .........again I see don't see why 2 separate versions standard and Pro could not be developed.

Any wrecker as you call them will buy standard , if he gets better and wants to join a League he will buy Pro
    ( there could be reduced cost when you buy both )

I mean why would a wrecker buy Pro and have no aids or chase cams or other unrealistic stuff ? , he won't will he.

Then servers would just divide the 2 versions like they divide builds.

Your other point about not being able to get in etc. etc. is valid too.
    I agree it takes work this way or you must settle into a League or a room like F3 Fanatics or simply download everything available p ;)

Nascar Series would be locked no addons other then skins and driver suits which would mean no mods needed, join ANY non- passworded room Standard or pro version ;)

Problem solved.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Latin America has lots of problems, a lot of the countries have recently been "freed" from military dictatorships although a lot of issues remain. Argentina defaulted on its loans twice, a lot of countries have issues with mega-inflation (recently having hyper inflation) and large financial and monetary difficulties arise impacting people. Sometimes there's no reasonable explanation, it's just a decree from the government.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah get Spin ( lopl ) to buy it for you it is called a "Gift Certificate" ........whatever. ;)

15. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Exactly. I can buy outside, even at ebay, but I have to pay 35% in taxes, and then the product will be retained at the customs forever. But I can buy software and that's what I did with rf2. Not everybody is allowed to do it.

Whatever. going back to the topic, we need more and better tracks and series of cars.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A lot of those problems are actually because of the U.S. and it's coups in order to topple governments and put a puppet of theirs in place but that's a whole-nother-story.

I didn't know that many of those countries aren't allowed to send funds (credit card, PayPal, pre-paid credit card, etc.) to the U.S., having said that, I was referring more to the mentality of getting things for free that dbaldi mentioned rather than being restricted from purchasing.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Some issues arose with US-backed coups, some didn't. The majority comes from bad exploratory colonization. Anyway.

18. Rob Berry

Rob Berry Registered

Meah I used to do the old girl fieind once in a while too, but sooner than later ya gotta move on....

19. Emery

Emery Registered

10 ovals for an oval season? OK, so how many ovals did ISI produce for rF1? Wasn't it only 3? 4 if you count the unfinished Jacksonville? The rest came from the community.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't remember there being any leagues or serious oval racing going on with rF1, it was all European leagues, but surely it would need a minimum of ~6 quality tracks to get some kind of stock car league started.