Questions about the upcoming drivetrain model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErnieDaOage, Aug 10, 2015.

1. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Since i have played a bit of dirt rally lately, i really like their model of missed shifts i don't know if its still a bug or if its like this for real (i don't have a driving license and my few hours of experience driving a real car were 20 years ago), but what i like about dirt rally is the fact that you can be stuck in a gear because you didn't pressed the clutch fully to disengage the gear and also you can be stuck in neutral because you released the clutch too early. The thing i don't like in pcars and ac is the fact that if you missed the shift and are stuck in neutral you can still engage the gear by just pressing the clutch while in dr i have to do the shift again.

Now my questions.

First of all since i don't have much experience of driving a car is this behavior right? i mean the way codemasters have implemented it in their rally game.

Second question is how will it gonna be implemented in the engine with missed shifts? i mean just the way i am gonna feel it will it be with reengaging the gear or just pressing the clutch?

And my last question is about the cars with H-shifter gearboxes do they all need to be updated because its a new feature or will it work because its implemented into the core of the engine?

Thanks for any answers :)

2. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

I have an idea for a working ffb shifter i just have to talk to a friend of mine who studies it if its possible to create it like i have it in my head. Its quite a cheap solution in my head and i think its also gonna be easy to do.

But i would really like to know how ISI plans to introduce it to rfactor2. Because for me its more realistic if i have to reengage the gear if i missed the shift instead of just clutching again, but as i wrote above i don't really have a clue about it.

And what kind of feedback for the clutch would you need to know you are doing it right or wrong and please explain both for me so i can think of a solution maybe.

3. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I think it is possible to adjust the virtual clutch to your pedal by adjusting the clutch sensitivity slider in controller options....so that the engagement point in game matches with your pedal. But that should be tested. But what you are looking for, at least i think, Ernie is a way that your shifter physically stays in neutral because of your miss shift. i have got an idea on that and although a little complex mechanical i think it can be done. But i don't know if the software (rF2) gives a signal about clutch engaged or disengaged.
    My English isn't good enough to explain thoroughly, but if you want to brainstorm about it we should meet on ts Ernie. (At daytime so i can speak back to you ;))

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Agree but we will always be simulating and never exactly feel things like irl. I don't think Ernie is looking for exact clutch feeling tho. But maybe i misunderstood

5. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Shouldn't be too hard to make the physical gearstick not able to engage any gear if not the clutch pedal is activated or the engine have the right rpm since you can get this data out from the sim? Maybe have a servo system that either shuts the "door" for all gears or have a clampsystem locking the gearstick from movement. In my head it sounds easy at least :p

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Regarding misshifts, if you don't want to simply be able to press the clutch in for the gear to engage then why not have the sim force you to have to put the shifter back into neutral and then have to clutch and put the shifter back into gear?

Putting the shifter in the middle puts the car in neutral.

If the game isn't already capable of determining the difference between pressing a neutral-designated button and putting the shifter in neutral, then jt should be able to be made to. Our shifters - well, at-least the Logitech G25 and G27 shifters - are not just switches/buttons but instead are just like our wheel, pedals and control sticks in that they register real-time position. I found this out when I found out about a calibrating program for the G25/G27 shifter where it tracks every movement of the shifter. This position-sensing means that the game should be able to detect that your shifter is literally being moved out of a gear-area closer and finally into the neutral-area and therefore the game will know that you actually moved your shifter from a gear and into neutral rather than just pressing a neutral-designated button on your wheel, or whatever, to try and cheat the misshift system.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
  7. Eddy

Eddy Registered

first one is my idea also, but thinking about it today....maybe even with a electromagnet (is this English)....and when gearstick is not fully into gear when releasing the clutch pushing the stick back to neutral.