Fixing tracks with 3dsimed (Q & A)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Woodee, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Firstly....

1. Is it possible to fix that transparent tree problem in the latest version (3) of 3dsimed?

2. Is it possible to increase track mesh resolution?

If anyone else has questions they want answers to... post here and I will add them to the first post.

When answers are found, I will add these to the first post as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  2. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

Is it possible to fix that transparent tree problem in the latest version (3) of 3dsimed?
    yes it can

Is it possible to increase track mesh resolution?
    unfortuneatly no

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Good... now I just need someone to tell me HOW ;)

Guess I'll have to resort to taking the mesh objects into max :eek: (*grumbles* hmmmm, now what do I press!)

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I can export from 3dsimed already to a 3D file. I have an rf1 into rf2 already at this point :) I'll have to see if I can get Mario's plugins working on 3dsmax 2014 since a reinstall.

As in chroma key? One colour background?

Could you explain this a little more?

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Not sure but should work with 2014. If not long way around could be to put it in 2010 or 2012 then save as max file and load into 2014

It helps if the background of the texture is a similar colour to the image boarders where the alpha layer starts. reduces the white edge or black outline around the trees or objects that us alpha.

3dsimed: In blend result setting should be Alpha Chroma not alpha transparency.

3dmax In material editor, select the material to edit, click on the first texture stage and put a tick in chroma colour, click the colour box and change the colour to what you want. Usually 50, 69, 0 is a fairly good colour for vegetation

Using alpha transparency can clash with other objects that use alpha transparency. They can look like they stand in front of another object instead of behind.

eg A tree can look like it's in front of the track edge fence wire mesh but behind the concrete wall

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Thanks Nibiru I will add your solutions to the first post

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Basically the only things you cant do in 3dsimed is correct UV mapping!! the race surface and terrain are the big ones here. only has limited mapping channels so you cant set up complex shaders with correct mapping. and you can't rotate textures and the race groove always needs rotating 90. Otherwise you can do everything else in 3dsimed.

Biggest tip I can give is... If you change a shader eg from T1 to bump spec map T1 then you also need to set the scale of each new texture. setting the scale to 1.0 of the new textures will set it the same as the first texture. All scaling is based upon 1.0 being home. BUT you only have 4 channels to work with. Thats where the above comes in.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I was able to set a real road shader on my converted track experiment.

10. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

yes you will but it's not mapped correctly

you'll get a grey blob and no real skid lines

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why?

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I like what your doing here and I would love for you to prove me wrong. Ultimately you want the race groove mapped to the fast path (3dsimed can't do this)

BUT try the scale of channel 3 that should be the race grove. and increase the scale so try 5 in both U and V and see what you get, then change the scale as needed. Bigger numbers mean the texture gets smaller always remembering 1.0 is home. You will find that you start to see the skid marks and the texture needs rotating 90.

why? I don't know the same thing happens in max but you have the power to rotate it and set it to the fast path.

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Part answer: When you change shader and add a new texture if it needs to add a new channel that new channel has no mapping. If it is one of the first 4 texture channels you can edit it. If it texture 5 or above you can't edit it. By default 3dsimed gives it a mapping of 0.0 when 1.0 is home and what diffuse is set at. So those textures 5 and above are set at 0.0 which is 1 pixel from the texture. Thats why you will get a darker shade but not a sharp look.

14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

If trees are transparent even with chroma values the problem is with vertex alpha channel values that MUST BE 99.99% and that I'm pretty sure that you cannot change it in 3dsimed.

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

^^^^Correct you can not create billboards for rF2 in 3dsimed but it can deal with billboards that are already made

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Billboards are for crowds?

17. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

billboards are camera facing objects. The front of the object always face you. Meaning you cant drive to the back of it. So people trees bushes grass etc.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

added something for number 2