rfactor2 launcher not launching

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by elbo, Aug 8, 2015.

1. elbo

elbo Registered

Launched rfactor2 and it crashed my pc on startup...it actually hard reset the pc.
    Now rfactor2 launch screen does not appear anymore. Double clicking gives nothing...it does not even appear in the task manager.

Did a fresh reinstall, still same problem.

Every other program on my pc works fine.
    stumped.

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

what are your PC specs

3. elbo

elbo Registered

Feb 2012

val-d'or, quebec, canada

Windows 8.1 64bit

Computer:

Home built

Mainboard:

ASUS S.1155 INTEL P67, ATX, (evo) 4x USB 3, 4x SATA 3

CPU:

INTEL CORE I7-2600k, 3.40ghz, 1155

RAM:

16gb DDR3

Graphics:

geforce GTX 980

Sound:

onboard realtek

Storage:

SSD

Monitor(s):

projector optoma HD20

Internet:

cable

Connection:

Wired

Controls:

g27 / srw wheel bolted on

4. Bluefish

Bluefish Registered

I'm new to this forum (although not to the game) and I'm having the exact same problem after trying to update from a 2013 build. Are the responses public or done by private email?

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Try downloading and installing the light version right over the top of your current build.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I would suggest a complete fresh & clean installation of the light build. There are so many changes since 2013, an update couldn`t be working properly...

7. elbo

elbo Registered

Tried that, didn't work. I had to go a step further and do a re-install of windows after a just a normal system restore did not help.

Additionally I am finding that the cause seems to be certain mods.

Installing the Celica mod or the Spark LS mod triggers a system crash to hard reset. Once this happens if I startup Rfactor 2 I get a JSON error. Deleting player.json and letting rfactor 2 regenerate it works but before firing it up I have to remove the offending mods. If I save a back up of my working player.json file and then just drop that in I still get a JSON error. Only when I let rfactor 2 regenerate the file does the program work again. Strangely, I had these mods installed in the past with no problems but now they trigger the crash.

Letting this crash occur 3 or 4 times in a row results in rfactor2 not opening at all (not even to the launcher) and the only solution becomes a windows clean re-install. Maybe the hard reset crashes corrupt the registry somehow.

The Spark thing has got me bummed out because I can't race on the F3 fanatics server any more.

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Did you uninstall & remove everything, related to rF2, incld. all Mods from the Package Folder? Because, that means a "fresh & clean install"...

9. elbo

elbo Registered

Fresh and clean: yes complete procedure, uninstall from windows, then delete the RF2 folder completely.

10. Bluefish

Bluefish Registered

I also uninstalled using Windows, then deleted all the files rfactors2 folders I could locate, then reinstalled the light install (no joy). I've found a posting from 2014 dealing with build 770 that seemed to deal with the same problem and that recommends removing a file called rfactor.credentials from a directory titled 'Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor' Does anyone know if this works with the latest build?

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I wouldn`t delete these files, because they incld. your license...More important would be, to delete the package folder, wich may could located somewhere else, depending on your older installation...

12. Bluefish

Bluefish Registered

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Package Folder, not File...usually located in the rf2 root folder.

14. Bluefish

Bluefish Registered

Well, all the RF2 folders are gone so presumably the Package Folder went with them. Tried another reinstall and launcher still won't work.

15. elbo

elbo Registered

The only thing that worked for me was a fresh windows re-install, which if you only use your pc for gaming is a pain in the butt and if your pc is also used for other purposes then it is a colossal pain in the butt. Not a great solution but it has worked for me. good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  16. Bluefish

Bluefish Registered

Contrary to the advice given above, I removed file titled rfactor.credentials from the directory titled 'Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor' and saved it in another location. i figured the game was doing me no good anyway if the launcher wouldn't work and if I permanently FUBAR'd it I wouldn't be any worse off.

Good news: launcher works again!

Bad news: insofar as I can tell, it only works once. If you log out of RF2, it stops working and you have to go through the whole process of uninstalling, reinstalling, downloading content and re-calibrating all over again. This is obviously a pain in the butt, but considerably less of one than a whole new windows re-install.

Caveat: I only play offline so may the removal of the credentials files could have a more serious impact on online play that I haven't encountered.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  17. elbo

elbo Registered

Good to know, I will give that a shot.
    Thanks.

18. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Been having the same issue. Get a "The program can't start because MSVCR110.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.. Formatted 2 times. Reloaded rFactor2 about 4 times. Ran the 64 bit runtime fix. No Joy here. Now I am getting another OS and gonna run kill disk and see if I can get this going. Never had this trouble before though. I don't get it. Can run my other games like Pcars and AC and Dirt Rally.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

There is something wrong with your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installation. As i rembember right, maybe a Win Update remove this file.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679#

//Edit: found the link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/f052d325-3af9-4ae5-990b-b080799724db?auth=1

20. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

I will try that. Apreciate the reply. Tired of messin around here. :) OS is running great and don't wanna mess with it again