Plugins to work in VCR (replay)

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by RoboCAT10, Aug 2, 2015.

1. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Take Gerald's fantastic TV plugin for example. This is great to use as it shows a life hud, lap counter etc. However when you open a VCR replay file no plugins work. If ISI somehow managed to find a way for plugins to work this could open a lot of potential for broadcasting. For instance, those who are racing but then want to make a video of their races afterwards, with all the nice HUD.

There are many other great plugins, like the automated camera, which I think would do wonders if you wanted to watch a race you were in later on. It might be a long shot as it could be difficult to implement, but I have no idea, it's worth wishing nonetheless. :)

2. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

*drops a +1 into the wishing well*

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Plugins receive a lot of information during gameplay, but a lot of this information is not saved in replay file, so it's unavailable.
    The reasons for this are performance and disk space.

Perhaps a plugin could save that information itself and then access it from file if it got some session ID from rF2 during recording and then during playback.
    Those plugins could create performance issues in game and a lot of people would carelessly install plenty of them and then complain to ISI thet rF2 is working slow. Or even spreading word over internet that "rF2 is crap".

That's just the complexity of rFactor that calls for some limitations.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's certainly true for telemetry type values, but there's also a lot of 'running data' (car positions [both actual race order, and world position], RPM/inputs, flag status, damage info, tyre compound, etc) that is obviously low fidelity but could be used to run certain types of plugins nearly the same as when live (like the automated camera plugin), while others could provide simplified output to match the limited data available during a replay.

It's important that people understand a replay just doesn't contain all the data you get live, which does provide limitations, but at the same time some plugin support would be great.

5. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Just dropping my 2 cents here, 'cause a know veeery little about the plugin internals.

Wouldn't it be possible or at lease feasible, to have a broadcast-style informations mixing what the replay file gives you with the race results XML?

6. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I asked something like this in another thread. The replay UI at the moment has all the nessercery information, lap counter, drivers option and name etc. Would it not be possible to change this UI to give it more of a broadcast feel. Even if we have lap counter at top of screen and driver name and position at bottom corner; that would be fantastic. This way at least those who like to record from their replays they will get this limited but crucial information.