Windows 10 made me a faster driver.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MapleHamwich, Jul 30, 2015.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I've had same problem with sleep mode. It is getting better with every restart I have had to do. (I've had problems with lock ups when plugging or unplugging usb devices).
    Based on experience, I think sleep mode problems may clear up, plus I've seen a few posts on Microsoft forums that a fairly big update is coming next month.

So guess what, I think were playing with a beta (of course)

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

mm I might give it another Spin then.......

I had horrendous rF2 performance with every W8.1 I tried but not the latest driver.

Then when I tried W10 it felt as smooth as W7 on first run ........... then it went bad again like W8.1

I had a sneaking suspicion it was something in NV Inspector ?

Like my W8.1 and W10 versions just sitting in pits( let alone on track ) the fps flutters wildly like PC is doing 100 things.

In W7 it is dead still, if I turn the wheel one way in pits it drops 1 fps maybe

atm the only bullet proof fps reading + smoothness is from W7

If it was not for this I would use W10 I think.

The thing about W10 how much is all this tracking and other stuff doing, I see programs I have uninstalled still running.
    It makes the whole OS feel "laggy "

The resources / memory usage is higher then W7 wtf I thought it was supposed to be better !

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Never use sleep mode, but on a related note, screen blanking and monitor power down after a period of inactivity (that I have always used) no longer works.

4. Magus

Magus Registered

Just an update, I've done a fresh install of W8.1 & can confirm that my fps for rF2 are back up to a stable 60fps. Whether it was Windows 10 related or Nvidia drivers 353.62, I am unsure but will stick with 8.1 for the immediate future.

5. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Yep physics get a update with win10, standard procedure :)

6. whitmore

whitmore Registered

For me After W10 upgrade my ATI graphics 3gb 7970 OC same as before. FR2 works just the same.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Have you tired GPU sync by any chance ?

You may have same bug I did coming from W7 to both W8.1 and W10, rF2 stutter, etc. all other sims were okay.

I tried everything, all syncs and fps limit in W8.1 and W10 time and time again to no avail but this go around I gave it a try again and seems to have solved my problems.

Another thing worth trying if you use NV Inspector make a fresh profile for rF2.

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I can confirm this. Physics on fleek with Win10 ;)

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Has there been any word on whether the Automatic Downloading/Updating crap can be paused in a future update?

11. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Unfortunately W10 didn't made me a faster driver [​IMG]

Sorry but I couldn't resist :p

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Apparently, from what I've read, if you run the "Home" edition, you have no control on update downloads (not the win 10 upgrade, it will pause and resume), but if your running "Pro" you could go to the appropriate "settings" page and throw the switch for a Metered connection. Then you can do manual searches for updates and choose when to install.

Couldn't tell you exactly where that was, but I found it....somewhere.

*edit..
    • Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet.
    • Select Wi-Fi > Advanced options > Set as metered connection.
    You would have to turn this off when using multiplayer, I would assume.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You need GP+ edit ( Group Policy + Edit ) which is not in W10 Home.

But you could do in registry.

I have turned Defender off permanent in Home, till I ready to update.

You can turn basically anything off with registry if you keen.

lol

BuT , BuT ? .....................I thought Home did not have it. :confused:

hehehe :p

[​IMG]

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sounds like a lot of faffing about for something that should be upto the user, can't believe microsoft can be so dumb (well duh!) as to not realise about metered connections, I found a few whilst travelling so if there was an Update to be done I'd be stuck trying to google stuff when it'd cut out due to the download capping off my allowance!

I'm hoping someone comes forth with a hack if MS don't return it to normal, yeah I understand they want systems to be in sync with updates but for some people it's gonna be a major annoyance.

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Hehe - it's a funny thing... I have an old, sucky computer (8 years old) coupled with an ancient, G25 using 10 years old technology, yet (just) managed to win P2 championship in VEC... I always shake my head a little bit when someone is investing a big chunk of cash on hardware to improve on pace... It's like a 'below average' driver complaining about an unsorted setup (be it in sim racing or real life), when the real problem is sitting 18 inches behind the monitor.

Oh, and I insist on playing on the highest possible graphics... Because without that, it's like racing around in rF1.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I know it is funny hey.

Like....says you cant create a shortcut in the same folder, lets you make it on the desktop instead then you just move it back to the same folder

hahahaha

Hey how about this for some ground breaking discovery from a 15 year IT professional..............

hahaha

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Windows is not updating automatically on a metered connection obviously. The switch setting is just there for those who connect to metered connection via some router, in which case OS can't automatically recognize it as metered.