Windows 10 made me a faster driver.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MapleHamwich, Jul 30, 2015.

1. oldschool1478

oldschool1478 Registered

I did the upgrade and my G25 works fine using Logitech Profiler.

2. CraigT

CraigT Registered

All is well. Just had to plug the USBs in again and it recognized the wheel

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I'm not too keen on the auto-update feature not being able to shut it down. Any way around this one? I really want to be in control on this one when simracing/gaming/whatever.

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Can agree with you on that one. Having to depend on satellite Internet service with 10 gig allotment per month and being an rF2'er doesn't quite work well, or not at all.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

can you Pause the updates?

6. Magus

Magus Registered

Unfortunately for me the upgrade hasn't been productive where rf2 is concerned. Used to have a stable 60fps with my settings, using Nvidia Drivers 353.30 on W8.1 with 680's in Sli & Multiview. Now frames fluctuate between 38-50fps and even with MV off I'm getting the same kind of performance. Something is definitely not right. I've tried the default Sli comparability bits as well as Lego Batman 2 & the Icarus ones, no different.

I noticed that in rf2 it still recognises my OS as W8.1, everyone else getting this? Might try an rf2 fresh install as yesterday run AC and didn't have a drop in frames but hardly play AC so not sure if my judgement of before and after is correct.

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Fresh OS install.

OS "upgrades" are notoriously bad. The only reason I allowed an upgrade this time is so I could get Win10 free. As soon as it was activated, I wiped my hard drive and did a clean install of Win10.

If you're not going to do that, then you can't complain if things aren't working that great.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Crap buddha it worked.

I thought you had to have brought W7 SP1 or W8 SP1 within a certain time limit, 12 months ?

I did the same as you, media tool downloaded W10 from MS, made the usb stick, over the top install of retail W7SP1 , activated it, grabbed the Product Key, Zerowrote SSD , installed W10 using Key , activated ....weeeee lol

Only gripes I had with W8 was no glass and rF2 was running horrible.
    I think all along it was the old NV Inspector profile I used.

So far so good, seems to be running nearly/as smooth, have to play with graphics some more.

I was a bit miffed I could not afford $159 AUD for W10 Home ..........now I feel like I won the lottery. lol

edit; Ah I see

9. stonec

stonec Registered

I think that's mostly a myth back from Windows 98/ME times when you needed to re-install OS monthly to keep it working proper. There is technically no reason why rF2 shouldn't run with same FPS on updated OS than on fresh.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not a myth; check out how many people had issues when upgrading from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1- a ton of people. It was terrible.

11. nipzon

nipzon Registered

After the upgrade, where do you find the key in win10?

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Use Produkey http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html ( Scroll to bottom of page for download. )

Run program ( no install ), right click on Product Key and Copy ......and write it down. p

Yes yes yes it works with W10 ...

-----------

EDIT: For other W7 SP1 owners

1. Download MS Media Creation Tool
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run Tool , select 10 Home and make a bootable thumdrive from it.

3. Install W10 over the top of W7

4. Use Produkey ( link above ) to get your W10 Product Key

5. Wipe hardrive and install fresh W10 with the Key obtained and activate

MS finally woke up and realized it is better to give people a legit OS
    as then they will more then likely spend the same money on W10 products anyway !

Smart. :)
    ----

Proviso:
    Personally for older sims I would not take W10 to a rock fight.
    If you run old stuff I would not touch it with a barge pole.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You really don't need the key as the activation is tied your MS account and computer specs. As soon as my Win8.1 was upgraded and activated, I did a format and fresh install with no serial key. As soon as I singed into my MS account in Win10, it activated.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Assuming you have a MS account that is.

Phhftttt................... lol ;)

You and every other mother.............. p

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

My experience is as close to zero difference between old and new rF2 performance as possible. Win 7 Pro 64-bit to Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I lost a few fps and had to remake / tweak NV Inspector profile.
    Fps sitting in pits fluctuates a bit ( 2-3 fps) ............ depending on what the OS does at the time, it is more invasive compared to a tweaked W7 by far imho.
    ( My W7 sitting in pits my fps never ever moves, in W10 it flutters back n forth )

W10 uses FSW ( Fullscreen window mode ) as good as W7 did, except it does what others have said, it paused rF2 where as my W7 never does this.

GPL was great, actually repaired ( Gem, Raster, CPU fix, etc ) standalone folders better then W7 ! lool

GTR/GTL I don't know something is screwed with the AA ? I tried everything, cars look bad , have these tiny little small saw tooths on some surfaces.
    With the same settings in W7 they look smooth as you can get.

On the other hand rFactor with same NVi settings looked lovely and smooth.

What I really don't like is that GTR/GTL start to make folders in documents, won't have it.

I have stored my W10 and key away for rainy day or until I give up waiting for GPL IOM and stop using older sims .....................that will be a cold day in ..... :)

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The default for rF1 and rF2 has always been to pause when they loose focus. There is a setting in the player.json to disable this.

"Pause If Focus Lost":true,

This setting only effects offline. Online will never pause for obvious reasons.

18. s2173

s2173 Registered

I have the same experience with upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, but I think I know why... Rfactor 2 seems to not like certain processors, or if they dont have enough power, it behaves weirdly... mine is q8800 at 2.33 ghz, really weak cpu, but does the job in other sims... In windows 7, Rfactor 2 was undriveable. Very good fps, in the 80's, but the timing and the physics where all off... when driving near ai, the ai was warping and blinking, like the game was not sure where i was or where the ai was. Also there were noticeable slowdowns without any fps drop, and the cars felt icy and bulky, pretty much uncontrollable.

In windows 10, its much more stable... almost no slowdowns, and the AI is warping much less, almost unnoticeable. In result, the cars feel much closer to GSCE or Assetto Corsa, and not like driving on ice.

Now, my case is extreme one, but its quite possible alot of people are experiencing it in much smaller extent, to where they don't notice it. Maybe that's why some think rfactor2 is completely unrealistic and undriveable, and has no grip? If the timing fluctuates, it looks like a serious issue... But windows 10 seems to handle it better.

19. Magus

Magus Registered

Well unfortunately a fresh install of the W10 & rf2 has done nothing to help regain the fps I had under W8.1. I'm now thinkinking it is the 353.62 drivers working poorly against the kepler architecture as I run a couple of GTX680's. Unfortunately I can't get the 353.30 drivers to correctly use surround under W10.

20. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

Anyone have an issue with after upgrading from W7 to W10 and after the upgrade the computer will not go into sleep mode. I can go into sleep mode manually but it will wake up on it own a few minutes later.