[WIP] Le Mans Bugatti Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Satangoss, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emery

Emery Registered

Oh, oh, oh! Sounds like we're very close!

I wonder if MatF1 would be willing to help you with AI. Far be it from me to volunteer him, but you might ask him.

2. matf1

matf1 Registered

I'd be happy to!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Seems that there is no environment reflection on the car, right? Missing parameters on the track for that I think (If Tosch can confirm what to do to fix/check this?)

Indeed great news.

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Yep, it seems the settings for the reflection mapper are missing in the scn file. It's easy to fix (I use Notepad++ for this, any text editor will do the job), but you have to manually pick all instances that should be reflected on the car (RefMap0), on the road (ReflectedEnv) and if you would like to replace the static cube maps for building windows you can add a static mapper (Static##) in front of the object (no need to include or exclude instances).

http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=SCN

You can find the reflection mapper settings at the end of every scn file. Don't forget to enable the Reflection mapper for the material.

The environment reflection mapper is tricky to set up, because you have to add a reflection plane for each object (to set the height of the ref plane) unless your track is flat like a pancake (then the global ReflectPlane at the beginning of the scn file will do the job). If you don't add any instances you will at least have the reflection of the sky which looks much better for a wet surface.

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you Tosch for support.

6. RJames

RJames Registered

Looks ace. If you need a tester for feedback etc feel free to drop me a message.

7. senormen

senormen Registered

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

You're right guys, there's no reflections in SCN yet. It's coming this week. I'll follow the tips above including Tosch assistance.

I forgot the nightlights. So, AIW (and CAMs) are under way and then reflections and nightlights = done.

When I started this track several months ago I wouldn't predict how long it will take. This is because 100% of track geometry was made from absolute scratch. There's no a single triangle in this track that came from other work, so it was time consuming. Same goes for at least 80% of textures. Topography, kerbs, 3D and billboard trees, the track surface and all buildings and grandstands were modeled in 3dsMax. As I have my own personal professional job, the work on RF2 Bugatti circuit was limited to my vacancy hours... night, weekends and so on. In addition, I had to learn the rF2 track technology, which is substantially more complex from rFactor 1 and GTR2.

I've "borrowed" some ISI low poly cars and few other free objects on net for decorative purposes. But in general it's a disappointing outcome when I drive my track: you'll pass driving at 250 km/h and barely notice the building is there, the one where I put 50 hours to model lol. In other hand, if your 3d stuff is badly modeled, it'll be noticed quickly even driving fast alongside. All in all, it'll take around 9 - 10 months of work. It's too much if you ask me.

And yes, I'll make some copies available for test driving before to put the final link to download in order to "kill" some bugs internally before the distribution.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You'll be surprised! In a track like Le Mans, where you are really looking far forward, it is possible to notice the buildings and especially on replays or spectating, the variety of track cameras also allow for a great showing of quality assets.

10. Flaux

Flaux Registered

So... is there anything that could speed up the process? From your point of view?

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

One guy, one track made from very scratch (not talking about conversions or stolen material) I think can be reduced to 6 - 7 months with the proper knowledge (working in the vacancy periods).

One guy for geometry modeling and one guy for texture working and material tests, maybe 5 - 6 months.

The solution would be either a modding team (difficult to put together and requires several passes for homogeneous result) or one guy with modding as his regular work or, at least, with some financial compensation. Maybe the recent Steam migration can provide some solution on this regard.

12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yeap, for outside cameras and replays, the 3d modelling is a compensating work. But we spend 99% driving (replays in RF2 are not great to watch anyway)

13. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

[​IMG]

Quick example, this little yellow building took me 20 hours to be reproduced from zero. It's enternaining when you're starting your track but's it turns in a pain in ass after months working on it lol:D... Aaaand... you can see there's no transition from gravel to tarmac yet, I need to put a plane to mimetize the effect.

14. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Well Satangoss, I guess I can only reiterate that your work on this is, and will be, greatly appreciated. It's already very obvious that you've made a top-quality track. Thank you. :)

15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yes, I hope you can keep the motivation up. It's looking quite nice so far and it should be pretty popular once it's complete.
    You might feel a completely renewed enthusiasm when there's not too much left to finish and it's looking fantastic.

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I noticed but wasn't going to say it, but you touching on that just shows the care, the labor of love, put into the track. It is hard to not think it won't be one of rF2's very cream of the crop tracks.

17. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I am watching you... :) And you're doing great!
    Keep pushing!

18. yusupov

yusupov Registered

what a beautiful shot.

excited for this, but a proper contemporary le mans coming to rf2 will be huge. really appreciate the work & care being taken!

19. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

Awsome Job Santagoss!! :D

I've been following this thread and i have to say i'm really looking forward to see your final work all your effort to be recognized and valued by the community when you launched the final version! ;)

there are no words to describe so much effort and work on this project! I'm a Le Mans Lover since forever :) i would love to tested for you also! Please PM me when is time for that! :D

Thank you very much for all of this!! ;)

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Thank you Pedro and others... long time no see.

I'm sorry for the long delay, but my personal work has taken all my life last 2 months and will stay like this for more 2 weeks.

The track is almost done, to do is reflections list and to polish the AIW file. Just a bit more of patient.

Best regards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.