Lack of reviews online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thats very easy to explain. Because of the missing Informations into the MM (exact Track Name and Version, same for the cars), it`s most of the time a waste of time, to find out, wich combo is running on a server.

2. smithaz

smithaz Registered

A very relevant list of setbacks IMO. It would be very helpful if the multiplayer interface was more informative. The number one feature on my list would be to show the current session and time remaining.

I think a big issue with rF2's multiplayer right now is the lack of pickup racing. And I think the main reasons for this are over complicated or low quality server content selections. Some of the busiest times for pickup racing was when the rotation was meganes or clios repeating the same track or sometimes different layouts. This worked because it was easy to join and allowed new players to learn without having to figure out a whole new track every 30mins.
    These sort of configs are what AC is doing right now and they have 4/5 full servers every night. This is why I, and probably other former rF2 pickup racers, are using AC these days, cos we want to jump into a busy server rather than waste an hour on rF2 in a server with only 3 players inside where theres no point racing due to the difference in skill levels.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

One tidbit with Clios and Méganes is that they were very stable, solid-made cars that were consistent with reality. Then matched with usually the lesser bad (at the time) stock tracks, so even someone completely uninterested in that kind of car - me - would join every now and then. I currently have tried ISI's Indy and F-Renault server but I get a mismatch for content with Indycar, and the F-Renault's RealRoad is always being reset so it's utterly annoying having to always go out on a ISI-green track. I am not very fond of AC's multiplayer because I am not keen on the same Nurburgring/Imola setup with GT3s. It's nice to have 4 cars from different makes in the same series to go head to head, which is a massive point of interest, but there's lack of track combo innovation. When the 787B gets the 962C as a partner, oh my god... Though we need more tracks - in both games.

4. Depco

Depco Registered

Even AC is losing pickup racing. The top 4-5 servers are all running the same variant of car and track with little changes here and there. At the times that I can usually race (11:30 PM- 1:30 AM Central) there are a couple servers which have a full grid. But most have 2-3 racers and many more sit empty. It is not much better than rF2 at the same time in my opinion. I usually end up going over to iracing because I KNOW I can get a race with 15-20 people in it depending on what I'm in the mood for. If rF2 could get that kind of online community I would not even bother looking at other sims. I could confidently unsub from iracing and never look back. But they don't yet so IR keeps getting my money.

I run an AC server now, just as I ran a rF2 server for my league back when we ran here. The only difference between the two? If I sit on the AC server for a bit of time someone will jump on and run laps with me. That almost never happened in rF2. I could run laps for an hour and not see a single soul. The lack of people is to blame and that is a direct result of poor marketing and allowing the poor reviews to go unchallenged.

The lack of player base online is the number one complaint from the more noteworthy and followed youtubers, specifically Emptybox. They rarely complain about AI, Physics, FFB, or any other component of rF2. While some may see EB as a holier than thou iracing fanboy, he is the exact person ISI needs to tout rF2 as the second coming of sliced bread. The fact that his videos are so popular is due to his unbiased commentary about how he feels about a game. He has said on a number of occasions that he really likes rF2 and wishes they could get their online racing together. Shaun Cole over at the Simpit, he reviewed rF2 a couple years ago at inside sim racing. At the time he and Darrin thought it was good but too early to be considered a fully fledged game. This was back when it was in early production. Neither have touched it since. (iracing bias is probably most to blame in this instance) If you look around most of the popular racing sites have done reviews of the early builds of rF2 but not gone back since it has matured. That is a problem.

ISI is working hard at making this game the best sim on this planet. They deserve some accolades and the money generating buys that come from the positive reviews.

BTW for the people who say, "Well go do your own review." I could, and the people who would actually watch it would probably be a couple of friends and maybe a relative. That makes about 4-5 views. For the reviews to be meaningful and make a difference to the general masses of sim racers they have to be done at popular sites where many eyeballs will see the review. Thats the only way these reviews work. I dont know what ISI needs to do to get this to happen but they may want to get a move on it. Time is not their friend anymore. Maybe with the release of the Gen6 cars they can get some interest again.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

Zowie, that's probably one of the toughest time periods to find online competitors! Being Pacific time myself, I know the population tapers off about 9-10pm your time on weeknights and the folks down under (Aus, NZ) will trickle in.

6. Depco

Depco Registered

I agree. However, until I no longer work second shift I am stuck in that time frame. I have raced with some really swell Aussie/Kiwi's; Even a couple European players who also work odd hours. It has expanded my international exposure.

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I think stock cars will get these American folks like Shaun to give it another spin

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yeah, there is few Nascar/Oval fans that will review the cars atleast. As long as the rules are good to go, I think it will be a very exciting update for rF2.

Talking about stock cars... Release them already!!!

9. bwana

bwana Registered

Yep. I think ISI realise all eyes are on the stock car release and hence want to get it as near to 100% as possible before non regular RF2 users jump in. Even if that takes a lot longer than what we want ;)

10. Depco

Depco Registered

Maybe they dont realize it and have reshuffled the development priorities again. Maybe they pulled the devs from gen6 and put them on getting the cpm on the quads... LOL I jest... Hopefully gen6 will be out ASAP.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Well needless to say they don't have many devs to shuffle from, especially not after Juliano (Rogue System) and Jeremy Miller left.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks for posting stonec

a lovely review, good for me too as I've not used rf2 for last 4 builds as awaiting vr support,
    graphics have came on so much looking at the visuals now

I agree that rf2 is in pole position for the most underrated sim to date ( in its more recent state )

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Wow very good review he is articulate succinct personable and hits all the main points in very fair fashion.