Lack of reviews online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Ahhh yes, you're right that does happen. One of my other admins gets onto me because I always build my mods with all the comps in it instead of trusting the sources. But I want to know that people can get in.

It should distinguishing between servers that have all their content ready for download and those that do not. It is very frustrating to go through 20 downloads and have one fail and then you don't get in.

I will say it's much better now, then it was before. More people are keeping their content online.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Nice :p

3. stonec

stonec Registered

URL of the hosting address needs to be embedded into the track/car component, so if a server is hosting say, a random modded Monza and track maker didn't include URL, then hoster has to re-package the entire track component to add new URL. I don't know why you couldn't have an alternative URL field somewhere in the dedi startup for each track/car, then hosts would be much more likely to add URL. The current autodownload system has remained same for 2 years now with no improvement. It's a great system under the hood, but for some reason ISI doesn't want to make it easier for user and develop it further. Same with multiplayer in general.

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

You really have to laugh when people insist threads like this "Bash" rF2.
    Then we see those that think a conversation among users change a little off subject is wrong!
    Your conversations with your friends and family must be sooo boring! Stuck on one subject.

This thread is not a rF2 Bash!
    The subject matter though have changed off topic are very relevant to the topic as a hole.

A review; What is a review anyway?
    It's one guy in the media giving his and his opinion only on this or other products. Right? So really how much worth is it?
    Someone who can write a review and blog it should do so now but instead of using his opinion alone should read this thread and get the views of a lot more people then that of his own.
    The views here are vast and address many of the good and bad points of rF2. What better place to get a unbiased opinion of so many users?

rF2 Bashing! Really? This is what we see so many times when people post things and ask for feedback. When the feedback is not telling those people how great they are and how fantastic their work is they don't want to hear it! Grow up and learn from it. That's what feedback is for!

Off topic! Your boring! Don't read it if it's so bad for you. Grow up!
    The off topic posts and their subsequent posts are started because of the main topic. It's born by the main topic because the poster train of thought is on that subject.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

+1. Polite discussion is always welcome.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

and this is one of the main reason, why server are empty...IMHO

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

• There are a ton of servers that are passworded despite not having league races until one brief 2-hour window on the weekend.
    • There are a ton of servers with undecipherable or uninformative content names.
    • There are a ton of servers with subpar content, from cheap conversions to honest attempts but with lacking physics/visual quality.
    • There are a ton of servers combining all of the above.
    • Clicking on servers does not display the settings or content loaded in the server.
    • There is no centralized, widespread modded content repository website.

You cannot pin it down to just the matter of component availability. There is a valid point cited there, of course.

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

:rolleyes:

9. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

There is also a massive opportunity amongst the million people who purchased Pcars.
    IMO there will be a percentage who will want to find something "more sim" than what they have and "graduate".

RF2 is the solution.

So who feels that they can carry it off? Do a review online?
    I might have a go?

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Well everyone who is up to the task could write a review, but it won't be of much help unless they are shown on some big site. Big gaming review sites are probably out of question, so second best option is "sim sites" like VirtualR, SimHQ, RaceDepartment etc. I know David writes on one of these portals, but unless the article is promoted somehow, it might quickly disappear from google search.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Oddly enough those sites you've mentioned are the only sites I've personally read reviews from over the past 2 or so years.
    I used to like insiderracing.com Youtube videos till it went to insideriRacing.bs . nothing else got a fair go after that. Well didn't seam to.

So a public review at any of those sites wouldn't hurt. As long as it was fair and unbias.

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

That would be awesome, man.

13. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes! You do that!

Everybody is always so quick to place players in pigeon holes, ah AC players are never going to play RF2, iRacing oval racers are never going to switch to RF2 etc etc. Sure, it is > 50% true, but it is nothing like 100% true! AC and pcars have hammered RF2 no doubt, but also they have bought a lot of players into racing games/sim racing and even if it is a slender percentage, there is always people that will jump ship for various reasons. A slender percentage of something massive is quite big! If only 1% or 2% or 5% of them players will come from AC IR Pcars, that is a very significant boost for RF2!

I saw an AC thread on racedept a while ago, one of them players said he tried RF2 and it rocks, and then, another AC player reply saying the same thing! And another, and another maybe 4/5 AC players all weighed in with the same thing that RF2 beats the crap out of AC for them. If I had started on AC by mistake I would have been the same, some of them players will always be interested in graduating as you say, to a more interesting/difficult challenge. So you can never put people in pigeon holes. It is case, amongst other things of converting gamers into simracers I guess, even if you only convert a few of them it will all add up on RF2 cause there is a hell of lot of gamers out there. Some people will always prefer snooker to pool, as it is 10x harder, just because of that.

Thats why, with regards to the multiplayer ease of use, its important that some AC players show up here, fire up a self hosted server and race with their ac mates and do some racing without 3 hours of mas2.exe errors interfering. Maybe them 5 AC players would race and stay on RF2 for good, or maybe they never get the server up at all and never think of rf2 again.

As I said in my other post none of this can be turned around with one single solution, it has to be a few things so I don't see that a few more review is gonna turn it around single handedly. And I see people saying just that in this thread, that reviews will change nothing. But the way I see it, is what harm can it do exactly? NO harm can come of it! It might do something, it might do nothing, it CAN'T do nothing negative so whats the problem? Not unless your gonna fire up lost valley and run the quad bakes lol. Can only try.

I reckon your kind of guy that could do good reviews, and at racedept especially as it is multi sim place with massive amount of players. Prob best to put it in general simracing area, not just in RF2 area.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Can't wait to see a new review and then watch the guys here rip it apart because they disagree on a few items :p

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

*note: buy popcorn tomorrow* ;)

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

We will need showbag size.

p

17. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

18. bwana

bwana Registered

Good review, what was better reading was the comments.its so bleeding obvious that many haters havnt driven it in the last 2 years if at all. Comments like" having to go through the laborious updating with each build " show those posters simply are lying about using the sim, I mean how laborious is it to click a mouse once . Good giggle and glad these guys arnt part of this community.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  19. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

it boggles me how these guys spent so much money and months setting up their rigs and steering and pedals and fine-tuning it, and troubleshoot all the problems.

but complains so much abt doing few clicks to download the track and cars to join the server.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I remember someone I would think better of telling me Shift physics were not arcade because they could do the same lap time in the same car as GTR2.

Like with logic like that .............