rFactor 2 multiplayer vs Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam C, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Adam C

Adam C Registered

Hi guys!

I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times before so I'm sorry in advance in case it gets a bit tiring.

Anyway, I'm an Assetto Corsa player thinking of switching to rFactor 2 since I've heard some good stuff about it. The reason behind my possible switch is the empty servers of Assetto Corsa. It just seems impossible to find decent servers with enough players for racing. I know there are private legaues where you can register and race, but I can't be arsed. I just want to start the game and join a server without the need of following a certain time table.

So the queston is: how is rFactor's online racing compared to Assetto Corsa? Are there enough players? How many "working" servers WITH players are available on a regular basis?

Thank you!

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi there!
    It´s very similar. rF2 servers are also not much visited.
    Best thing is a league or a club.
    Pick-up-racing is more or less .... difficult.

Seems a common simracing-issue. Depends to some degree on time-zone though.

Greets

3. Adam C

Adam C Registered

Thanks for the fast reply Peter! Good to know not to expect more from rFactor. But even if it's league racing is more popular than AC's then it would still be worth to give it a shot.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

That´s for SURE!!!!!!

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I'm always interested in what is behind whatever someone wants in case there is an alternative or even better solution to their true needs. For example, when league racing no longer made sense for me, I came very close to quitting sim racing due to a lack of meaning. After much introspection, however, I found that what was the most meaningful to me personally is improvement and my potential more than my status or standing against arbitrary competitors who happen to like what I do and be available at the same time.

So I will ask...

What do you like about Asseto Corsa?

If you had to pick, what is more important to you ; driving or racing?

Do you enjoy console racing games? If so, did buy Asseto Corsa because you were looking for [select all that apply] a) more immersion b) more detail c) more challenge d) just more e) some other reason (explain)?

Is winning important to you or do you enjoy just battling it out?

Etc. anything you can tell me might help. Of course you could likely know what you want but always worth the risk to ask.

If I knew nothing about you other than multiplayer is important then I'd say "iRacing if you are serious and consoles if you are not".

6. hoover

hoover Registered

Welcome to rFactor2, Adam!

If you're looking for a friendly environment to acquaint yourself with rfactor1 and rfactor2, check out simracers.de (English spoken ;))

We usually race on Monday evenings, races are about an hour or less in a variety of cars and tracks.

Cheers, Uwe

7. Adam C

Adam C Registered

8. Adam C

Adam C Registered

Thank you hoover! I will check that site out and see if it's something for me.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Then rF2 is for you! Most detailed.
    Karts are ace.

Then Project cars is for you!
    Online there is most simpel and there are always some people online.

10. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

People should be truthful here now. Adam C if you have problem to find public servers for pickup racing in AC, you will most probably have even worse experience with rF2 public servers. That is almost a fact for people that mainly looking just for quick races. Best way for those people is what hoover sugested, or some league or groups with loose rules to join the races. But of course you are still very welcome if you want to try rf2 for other reasons, like dynamic conditions, tire simulation and so on. You can also just simply buy it and test it for yourself if this sim is for you or not, you have 3 days refund policy if you don't like it.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Based on your answers I would say iRacing but if that is beyond you budget then yeah pCars might be your only option although I no longer play pCars but wouldn't be surprised if was more active because large installed base.

12. bwana

bwana Registered

Joining leagues takes a few minutes,many run live timing so if you want to hotlap you can at anytime you like and compare against other members, if your available race nights all well and good join in and have fun. If its learning how a car works and how what you change actually does and feels like then its Rf2 all the way.

13. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

Have you looked at iRacing? I have a busy life with a career, family, other hobbies, etc and never know when I will have time for simracing. I cannot plan my real-life schedule to work with limited racing times in leagues. I use iRacing for my online racing and rFactor2 for my offline racing (imho, rf2 has the best AI). iRacing is an online-only racing service. It has the cleanest online pickup racing 24/7/365.

14. coops

coops Banned

Let me know of a good aussie league as the 1s i have joined lately the admins are so far up themselves and do nothing to really make you feel comfortable or welcome you make a suggestion open your mouth all you get is attitude. Think they run a league there god....Thinking of going back to the 1st 1 i was involved in.

15. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

16. bwana

bwana Registered

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think there are more drivers online in AC at any given time, but there's not much variety in what you can drive. Always the same few tracks and cars for some reason despite there being a lot more content. Haven't been in any league though so can't comment that side of online in AC.

18. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

This is true. There's really very little variety to the online options in AC but that's common in many racing games (ie Race 07 you'll see the same old stuff again and again). Realistically for online racing you have 2 options:

1. Race in a league. RF2 is pretty good for this, AC lacks some tools the league guys need (from what I've heard) and I've not seen many leagues around doing anything that exciting. RF2 has some really exciting leagues due to mature league admin tools and a wide variety of high quality content.
    2. Race on iRacing for pick-up racing or if you find RF2 a bit too difficult with all the required tinkering. Even there however some series are not pick-up. SRF, Skippy, MX-5, Star Mazda, GT1 and GT3 are pick-up, the rest are generally not. The big selling point for me though is that the practice rooms are usually fairly well populated so you can watch faster guys and learn from them. You don't get that so much in leagues.

In general, pick-up racing will always be a bit lower quality than league racing, though iRacing mitigates that as well as one can expect due to iRating keeping people racing to the end (rather than the usual public server thing that half the field quits by lap 2 - people have a reason to keep racing) and SR while not being perfect tending to generate some measure of self-control among drivers. The downside is you're paying a LOT of money for that.

Note that you can do league racing on iRacing, but honestly if you want to race league then do it on RF2 where you can find something that matches what you want, and where you can enjoy proper dynamic weather with rain (including drying line when the rain stops), multiple tyre compounds, much better physics, etc.

19. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Actually I should probably add an addendum to my previous post, if you're looking for racing on RF2, you may also wish to look at http://www.race2play.com/ as well as leagues. Certainly leagues plus that fit my typical racing pattern of spending a decent amount of time practicing for a couple of races each week, and then enjoying some fast and fair competition against other guys who have also practiced a LOT. That site has useful stuff for RF2 and Assetto Corsa, with one-off events and leagues covered, usually links to download any mods required and typically some sets shared for the vehicles used. Pretty useful all in all.

20. Adam C

Adam C Registered

Thank you guys for your honest and unbiased answers! For now, I will stick to AC and just learn the basics. In a couple of months I will either buy iRacing or rFactor. But until then I will definitely try the demo.