Demo - terrible!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nats, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

As always, videos are great for seeing things going wrong. Record a replay and upload it, we then would see exactly what's happening.

2. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Press CTRL+C and follow this thread http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...hat-does-it-show?p=32001&viewfull=1#post32001

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Should also check which wing configuration your running on the Fr3.5. use high down force wing and wait for track to rubber up as well. There is also a nasty curbing on left hand side of pitlane that you can get hooked on .

4. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

I honestly don't think Rfactor 2 would be worth purchasing if you intend on using a Joystick/xbox controller. The game shines when it is used with a proper force feedback steering wheel. There are much better games out there that are optimized for controller use ie. Gran Turismo, Forza, Project Cars etc. If you intend to upgrade your setup with a cheap ffb wheel (at a minimum) then Rfactor 2 is a no brainer.
    I worry that if you are using your joystick then you will not be able to understand why the rest of us are hooked on RF2

5. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

This is a common misconception.
    The OP played F1-Challenge 99-02 before and the rF2 input and driving aids options are pretty much a superset of that sim, because that was also made by ISI http://imagespaceinc.com/software.php
    Hence why you can play rF2 fine with just a keyboard http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/22387-rFactor-2-s-keyboard-steering-support

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's a testament to overly harsh and unrealistic/odd physics the higher-end the cars become (e.g. faster open wheelers) where you have to drive on eggshells without being able to slip and slid the car like you can in real-life. Most corrections must be a quick/snap full lift of the throttle with a quick/snap wheel correction, you can't just lift the throttle partially and modulate it together with steering lock as you power through the slide like you can in real-life and to a certain extent in Live for Speed and Netkar Pro. If you try to do this the revs skyrocket to redline as if there is 10,000 lb-ft of torque on hand and the car get's all overly snappish, not to mention, when it oversteers it starts turning left/right rather than continuing forward like in real-life and, again, like for the most part in Live For Speed and Netkar Pro.

I really hope the CPM can finally fix this long-standing issue, but I still experience it in the karts (the moment of oversteer the kart starts turning inside sharply as if you didn't really oversteer but rather just decided to turn sharply to the inside with an extraordinarily high amount of front grip). I just experienced this harshly with the TCL mod as well (fun mod by the way), everytime I'd get oversteer the car would just turn sharply to the inside as if I literally turned the steering wheel sharply and turned sharply to the inside with unlimited front-end grip.

The only time this issue seems to not rear it's head is with 4WD cars, this leads me to believe it's an issue with something about the front tyres during oversteer moments. Something regarding front-tyres overly gripping and wanting to turn the car "on the front" as if the driver simply decided to turn sharply to the inside rather than the vehicle continuing in the original direction of travel while the rear-end tries to swing around.

I think it's been slightly improved in RF2 compared to RF1 (try any SCE car and see what I mean, from the 95 Ferrari F1 to the 70s classic Stock Car, it's pretty atrocious and light-years away from resembling anything natural and close to reality), F1 Ch 99-02, etc. and possibly a touch still further improved since the CPM update, so hopefully ISI are starting to finally nail this piece of the puzzle.

Hi Nats. Can you please give us some more information about your Joystick? What company makes it and what software does it run on? What about your joystick settings? I can't understand why your joystick would work so bad with RF2 while working fine with RF1. If anything, RF1 is even more difficult to drive due to RF2's vast improvement in physics (including tyre modeling) so it's really odd that it (your joystick) would work so poorly with RF2.

Please give us some more info. Thanks!

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Egg-xactly! Keyboard driving with steering assist on low, traction control on low and perhaps ABS braking on low is more than manageable.

8. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

The problem, quite simply, is that you're using a joystick. Get a cheap dfgt second hand if cash is an issue (should be able to get one for about $60) and then let us know what you think. Note that arcade games will generally cheat a bit with some steering assist for joysticks, but sims tend not to, that includes rf2 and the likes of iRacing.

The second thing, if you're spinning I think it's safe to say that you're mashing the pedals. Smooth inputs are what you need. Having driven Silverstone in real life I can tell you that the slow bits are tricky if you don't drive smoothly and with precision, can't speak for the pits though as I was using the old pits but the exit for that was pretty tight, let's just say I didn't slam on full throttle.

I can honestly say that rf2 is about as close as I've come across to driving a real racing car, and while the new user experience does suck, it's well worth persevering with, and once you find an online league that suits you I reckon you'll have an absolute whale of a time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yep. That was what got me into sim racing in the first place, back when I played F1C and rF1 on my old PC back in 2007.
    Without proper keyboard support I doubt I'd have found any interest in the genre at all, tbh. It's a nice way to let people get a taste before they actually invest in wheels and pedals etc.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hang on your using a joystick ? ......you say things feel terrible ?

yes this makes perfect sense now

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No. Makes absolutely no sense at all!
    Did you read his posts?
    There is something technical going wrong.

12. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

There is, namely that he's using a joystick.

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

Which is why a video would be good imo. We may be able to glean something from it to help.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Not your computer yet you're the first person to experience these bugs. Hmmm

15. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Seriously op, give us something to work with and we can probably help. Or whine while using a setup that will never give you a good experience. The choice is yours.

If recording the screen is difficult, get a friend to record you running a lap with the camera on your phone. It would be useful if we can see your inputs as it'll help us correlate it to the screen, so get the angle right on the camera to see all that. Stick it on YouTube and we can see it. Do that and we'll have an idea where to start in solving your problem.

You wouldn't ask a mechanic to fix your car in this tiny amount of info so don't expect us to do it.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

+1

Why all the joystick talk when it sounds like something much more serious? A joystick doesn't make your car suddenly stop or jump in the air...

17. TechAde

TechAde Registered

My money is on the MS FF joystick requiring:

"Skip updates":3,
    "Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",

in Controller.JSON.

The old MS Sidewinder wheel certainly needed it and I imagine the joystick utilises similar tech.

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Seriously? Complaining about a race sim driving dynamics using a gamepad?

Some threads takes too much long to be locked in this Forum.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Even if his controller is acting up or not "game friendly", how in the world does the car all of a sudden flip in the air while in pitlane? I'm guessing the controller is sending some crazy inputs to the game which go into such an extremely far-off territory of physics - physics areas of which haven't been designed/optimized around (and understandably so) - and therefore causes the car to flip-out literally and figuratively so, lol.

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The person came in here in a fit of frustration. His setup always worked before then it suddenly didn't from a game that is a sequel. He didn't present himself well but instead of pointing him the right way we have 90% of posts being stones catapulted his way, way to go and present yourselves well, "gentlemen".

The additional point has been made, he isn't using the best controller, but pretty much only TechAde posted something that could be useful to him regarding his controller issue. Hopefully no more people will come in, skim the first post and feel urged to shoot a flaming arrow on the guy's head.