Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Beano, Jun 10, 2015.

1. cookie

cookie Registered

Granity is just for setting up, no need to run it while driving

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

thanks Cookie

3. Gavin Newcombe

Gavin Newcombe Registered

4. David O'Reilly

BTW I managed to sort out the second issue by clearing and flashing MMOS again.

5. David O'Reilly

Getting some progress with the Fanatec CSR pedals.
    I rechecked all my dupont connectors now I have some magnifying glasses. Some were not correct.
    Now I have Throttle and clutch being recognised by the MMOS controller, but still no brake. I have re-done the dupont connectors for brake, also pulled the physical pedal assembly apart and re soldered some quite rough early soldering repairs by myself. Still no joy yet.

The responses in the 2 pedals that are recognised are quite strange though. When I press a pedal it shows up in the 1st half of its range then disappears. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    David

6. cookie

cookie Registered

7. David O'Reilly

Thanks Cookie,
    As always you are very fast to offer help.

In fact I got a clue from a thread about connecting a load cell pedal along with G27 pedals.
    https://chippedwood.wordpress.com/2...als-with-load-cell-brake-to-mmos-disco-board/

I had a look in DIView and they were all jumping around wildly.

The answer was that the MMOS software seems to like the polarity? of the pots connections to be the reverse of the standard fanatec.
    I know this as I pulled the pedals apart and reversed the outer wires firstly on the brake and....perfect.
    Then I did the other two.
    All are functioning now, the clutch has a very limited range though.

Now I will use the DIView to calibrate the pedals as you suggest.

Thanks.

A conundrum solved for anyone like me who wants to use a bog standard CSR pedal set with the OSW Wheel and MMOS.

8. fuzion

fuzion Registered

Hello!

I just registered here and saved all content :) What an awesome thread congratulations. I have modified a G27 to have 4 motors instead of 2, with cooling components and higher voltage. Made a lot of difference.

What an incredibly cheap and easy DIY servo wheel this is! I am really wondering why would someone pay more than 500 for any other wheel than this. Its too easy. Anyway.

I have a question. I don't want to use the MIGE servo, but an allen-bradley one or other brand, as i hve some spares. It will have different Nm amps etc.

- will any servo connect to the IONI boards?
    - will it work for ffb?

What i am asking really is that if i just pass the configuration of the different motor to the ioni config program, do i need to calculate anything else or set up anything on the discovery? Or it will work right away just with different specs of force etc on the game.

9. Led566

Led566 Registered

Generally speaking...provided it has a suitable encoder, yes it should work, but, as you imagined, you are alone in the IONI setup process...
    Anyway post the spec sheet of the motor, I'll have a look.

10. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

Hi all , I've just put together a new OSW and after getting up and running have a strange acting servo motor ? When powered it sways side to side ? Phasing ! I original had a few issues with it grabbing hard on the stops and having to EStop to pull it out .. Now it stops at the end of rotation but in iracing once you turn the wheel for more than about 10 degrees it grabs and pulls the wheel down that side . Even in pits with no movement.. I have rewired the encoder 3 times and checked ? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated , dan

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Inverted FFB?

12. cookie

cookie Registered

Hi Dan are you saying the problem is in iRacing and rFactor? if so it's normally a wiring issue if only in rFactor you need to change ffb effects in the controller JSON "Steering effects strength#":" from +10000 to -10000 .

13. David O'Reilly

Gents,
    I am happy to report that my OSW install is complete and fully functional.
    There were emotional moments when
    -I ripped the solder pads of the Formula Rim when trying to de solder and re solder the connecting pins. (after much study I successfully replaced the 6 tiny little mothers 1mm x 2mm and re wired them to their original traces)
    -When I realised that my plain jane CSR pedals are not a USB device and needed to learn to connect them to the STM32 Disco, complete with having to invert the wiring to the pots)

All this came together last night. I soldered the Bodnar PCB in place and re assembled the rim. (not simple when in a permanent fit, I needed 3 hands for a while).

At first it did not work. 90 mimutes of trouble shooting later I accepted that I had to pull it apart and check the solders and maybe find that repairing the damaged Fomula rim was beyond me. BUT it was a broken solder. Re did it and its 100% functionall.
    I have been on track today tweaking the FFB settings etc.

Thanks to everyone here for the help and encouragement esp LED566 and Cookie.
    I also vouch for Ollies kit.
    View attachment 19408

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just want to share my excitement of finally sending the funds to Ollie for an OSW (2 or 3 days ago). Hopefully I get a shipping notification soon as I can't wait.

I sold my Fana B M3 GT2 and P 918 RSR rims and am planning to get a Fana Uni Hub + 3 or 4 rims (Fana Flat1 and GT, and 1, maybe 2, larger rims).

If anyone knows of an inexpensive method to be able to change rims while having useable buttons for every rim other than using a Fana Uni Hub, please let me know. Paying $300 - $1,000 per rim (for custom made or modded rims) is not part of my gameplan.

15. Led566

Led566 Registered

You need an adapter with Fanatec spaced holes (50mm):
    http://www.racingfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48895

and an USB interface to be connected to the fanatec wheel Motherboard:
    http://www.racingfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50754
    This interfece is also sold by Leo Bodnar but it is much more expensive (50pounds versus 12$ of the Arduino Teensy LC)

16. Led566

Led566 Registered

I'm very happy you sorted out everything.
    Well done!

17. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

Gday Cookie , in iracing but I have a mate coming over this Friday with a working Osw build and try a few things ie: encoder cable etc .. I'm thinking encoder at this stage .. I will post results to help others once I identify the issue .. Also the wheel sometimes grabs at wheel lock and shakes and holds ( need to EStop to release ) .. Sorry for the late reply was away ..

18. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

19. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

20. cookie

cookie Registered

Have you listed your fault codes from granity in the Iracing forums, there's always great help in the IONI hardware section.