Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Beano, Jun 10, 2015.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Gents I have a question.
    I have downloaded the latest firmware for the IONI.
    Its a GDF file and my windows 7 PC doesnt want to open it.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

2. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I do not have any knowledge about IONI but if the gdf file is the firmware then it's a file in binary format and you need a additional application or tool to load it into "whatever". It's the same as with a uefi or bios upgrade on a mainboard.

3. cookie

cookie Registered

4. Led566

Led566 Registered

5. David O'Reilly

Thanks gents.
    I worked it out a little later than my post.
    I was trying to open the gdf file outside of Granity.
    I re-read the Beano instructions more carefully and found that I only had to point the granity software at its location and it dealt with it.

So I got all the system powered up and set up last night. Todays job was the enclosure.
    I ordered one at 4:45pm yesterday, it arrived at 8:45 am today, despite me being a penny pincher and only requesting "economy delivery 3-5 days".

With a bit of adaption by removing a cd-rom drive case on the PSU side it all fitted in.
    Tonight I powered it up as an enclosed unit. All good and showing the correct things.

Next job is to undo the damage I did to my fanatec formula rim. Then fit the Bodner Chip. I pulled off 6 of 8 solder pads. B4 spending $200 on a new wheel I will attempt to replace them. Waiting on thin copper and magnifying glasses. If I fail it will be good practice I guess.

6. Led566

Led566 Registered

You'll succeed.;)
    And even if if the MB and the Bodnar chip are FUBAR, consider to radically mod the wheel by wiring the switches and the rotary encoders directly to an addon board like these:
    http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97&products_id=185
    http://store.renovatio-dev.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=52

7. David O'Reilly

What pedals are you guys using?
    I have blown my budget and was planning on using my modded Fanatec CSR pedals. Just found out today they are not capable of being used as a USB compatible device.
    So far all I can think of at a reasonable price is finding a second hand Club Sport V1 or CSR Elite Pedal set.
    Any thing I am not seeing?

Cheers

8. Led566

Led566 Registered

I'm happy with the CSR Elite.
    But...what kind of mod do you have on the pedals?
    In any case should be relatively easy to connect the pedals to the Discovery 32 in your OSW and use the MMOs driver as interface for the pedals also. ;)
    [​IMG]

9. David O'Reilly

View attachment 19276
    Its nothing special, just 2 RC off road car shocks that give the brake more intuitive feel and the basher board replacement for the standard Fanatec one (which seem to all lose their calibration).
    However I am happy with it and will keep it if I can.

Electrically I am very uninformed. Easy for you might be hard for me. For me easy means with a picture! Wiring diagrams get me nervous.
    I would need to find out which physical wires I attach and where etc.
    However if I the discovery will do it I would like to find out more.

Can you point me anywhere??
    Cheers

10. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

guys (and ladies if there are any arround), i would love to add my f1 150 thrustmaster rim to my coming soon "osw" from tomo meglic.
    Do anyone know how to make buttons functional converting the f1 addon conexion to some usb type? do i need any circuit board prior to make it usb compatible? i am not too keen on electronics as you might see.
    i am trying to save money so that's why i wanted to re-use my f1 addon cause i have not found any f1 rim or even gt rim with buttons and padles for low money..all of them are really pricy!!!

11. Led566

Led566 Registered

I will try to find some more info (and possibly photos) for you.

12. David O'Reilly

You are very kind.
    I did find this one
    https://chippedwood.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/6/

which seems quite good but I read (on bodner site I think) that the logitech and Fanatec wires have to be done in reverse as one of them treats low voltage as maximum pedal and the other high voltage as maximum.

Other dumb questions:
    Which wires get conected? there are three wires from each pot which join a small (in my case Basher board) circuit board. From there its a single cable and plug. Is it pre or post the circuit board?
    When not using the system, do you power it down at the power switch or simply use the enable switch (very cool switch like the button on a missile etc).

Thanks
    Sincerely
    David
    What type of connector do I use?

Edit:
    Bit more homework.
    This will guide me as to the fanatec wiring (and it makes it clear that its "post circuit board).
    https://gyazo.com/2c2013efaadc54bd21b8a9f4aee93b7a

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
  13. Zizza

Zizza Registered

I'm working to create an adapter with my 3d printer, it's almost finished but I have to modify some details to make it stronger

14. David O'Reilly

Question for anyone that may know.
    When connecting wires from my CSR pedals directly to pins on the PCB is it neccessary or preferable to use a jumper wire or is it ok to connect the wire directly using a crimp?
    Also what type of crimp is recommended: Dupont style or butt splice?
    Thanks in advance!

15. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

Great buddy. What about functional buttons on the rim?

16. Eddy

Eddy Registered

imho technically it doesn't matter. It's up to you and where you feel most comfy with.

17. David O'Reilly

It seems the duponts are the way to go.
    I went and got some of the smaller red butt splice crimps and they are WAY too big for this application. They dwarf the pin headers. So I have ordered some duponts.

Yes another question from my learning curve drawer.
    Novatech kindly sent me a case fan as it was listed as standard on the case I purchased. Does anyone know where it should be connected?

18. ericRacer

ericRacer Registered

Hi,
    anyone can give me the new firmware MMosFFB99.2, i am not able to download it at Virtual-Racing. I don't know why !, i am registered but i can't.

19. Zizza

Zizza Registered

20. David O'Reilly

Hi gents.

I have 2 questions. (3 actually)

I am trying to get mt fanatec CSR pedals (plain ones not elite) to work with the OSW set up.
    I followed the guidance here
    https://chippedwood.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/6/

After making the connections nothing is registering in-game. Any thoughts about configuration settings in MMOS

Also while trying various settings I clicked DFU mode by mistake. I dont even know what it does. I only know that you aren't meant to click on it!
    Now my indicator beside device settings/setup is now red.

Last question: Should Granity be running whenever I want to drive or is it just for setting up?

Thanks a lot.

David