Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Beano, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Because I'm buying off Ollie has he has been fantastic with me and I feel he deserves my money...

2. nikdek69

nikdek69 Registered

THANKS i'LL TRY

:)

3. softslider

softslider Registered

Since earlier questions, I did some web searching and found some answers by myself.

Q1,Q2) I found acrylic plate 5T can be used with laser cutting for the back panel.

Q3) I've spent huge time finding the port bracket but failed. Any good suggestion?

Q4) For the motor power and ESTOP, I decided to use Neutrik 4pole/3pole connectos. The reason for 2 different types is to avoid any mis-plug-in.

If there is OSW owner with CoolerMaster Elite 130 case, it would be very helpful to share how to layout each component and wire in the case.
    Maybe someone can show very nice layout also considering EMI.

I just get to have one more noob question. I have IONI HC drive which is different than IONI PRO explained here.
    In this case, can I use same schematic for wiring? Maybe just FW is different. Correct?

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Any news from Granite Devices?

btw. could someone explain me, how it is, than ARGON sends AC current to motors, while IONI sends DC current?

5. Led566

Led566 Registered

Since MIGE is an AC servo motor, output from both Argon AND Ioni to electric motor is tri-phase AC with variable frequency and voltage.
    Input is different, with Argon you don't need an external DC Power supply because it is embedded.
    So you can feed Argon with 220AC but IONI needs DC.

6. Marek Lesniak

In the tech spec. for IONI Pro HC I only see:
    - Motor voltage rating 12-60 VDC
    - Motor current rating 0.2 – 23A

No mention about AC motor voltage, while for ARGON drive you have:
    - Integrated AC mains power supply: single phase 85 – 264 VAC 50/60 Hz, 0 – 16 A

If IONI in fact can output AC voltage to drive an AC motor, why there's not a single word mentioned about that?

Of course, I sent the question to the manufacturer over a month ago and never got any reply from them.

7. Led566

Led566 Registered

Yeah, whatever...that voltage rating is for BLDC or Stepper.
    For IONI specs pls refer to this:http://granitedevices.com/wiki/IONI_specifications

As a matter of fact if you feed MIGE (and Lenze and Kollmorgen) with DC it wont run, since it is an AC motor it needs a "rotating electromagnetic field" to rotate, and you can have that only if you feed it with AC current.

8. Marek Lesniak

Yes, I was using that site... if you actually look into it, you won't find any information about AC voltage rating.

9. Led566

Led566 Registered

In the "Motor Output" section, the line "Maximum effective motor phase output voltage" reads : "3-phase AC motors: Vsupply*0.775 V RMS (phase-to-phase)"

So in our case (48V DC power supply) the IONI will feed the MIGE with 3-phase @37.2 VAC RMS max.
    Voltage is modulated from 0 to 37,2V in order to feed the necessary current to obtain the requested torque.
    Modulation of rotational speed is obtained through frequency variations.

10. Marek Lesniak

OK, that's what I couldn't grasp - that "Vsupply", which I was expecting to be as AC output voltage rating provided somewhere, is actually DC input. Thanks for explanation.

11. Gabriel

Gabriel Registered

Hi all

I've embarked on the journey to build an instance of the OSW using the IONI Pro drive, "Small" MiGe Servo motor and STM32F4Disco controller as well as the wireless wheel buttons side project (nrf51822 BT modules).

An enormous thanks to Beano MMos, Martin Ascher (and many others) for the selfless hours and effort put in to aid commoners like me to stand a chance at successfully completing this project.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
  12. cookie

cookie Registered

There's so much info on the iRacing forums it's worth being a member just while you do your build.

View attachment 19172 View attachment 19173 View attachment 19174 View attachment 19175

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
  13. softslider

softslider Registered

Hi cookie,

Thanks for the pictures. They are definitely helpful. As you suggested, I'll consider being a iracing member for the moment.

14. Zizza

Zizza Registered

Yesterday is arrived mine osw from Ollie, simply perfect! The shipment is arrived in 2 boxes and everything was very tidy and sealed.

So, after dinner, I started to mount this beast, and about midnight everything was ready.
    I only tested for about 10 laps but it's another world compared to my "old" t500.

15. cookie

cookie Registered

New member price is only 1 Month : $6 or 3 Months : $15 you just need a new email / Gmail address to get this if you already been a member.

16. softslider

softslider Registered

Hi OSW owners,

Can you please give an idea how(what is used) the power switch and wire is connected in below picture? The picture is captured from "Steps to perfection" by Troy A. Schulz. It seems that soldering not used but it' hard to know due to the tube surrounding the connection point. I'd like to follow this method for the wiring.

View attachment 19230

View attachment 19231

Thanks.

17. cookie

cookie Registered

18. softslider

softslider Registered

19. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Mine arrived this morning.
    Very well packed and many pre-connected cables to help the electrically inept.
    I've been slowly and carefully connecting everything. With Ollies pdf file its been quite straight forward.
    Ready now to get the power lead (PC type) and test it.

Then I have to try to recover my nearly botched Formula Rim conversion. I have now purchased a temp controlled soldering iron and have the appropriate solder, some thin copper film and magnifying glasses on order.

20. cookie

cookie Registered