Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Beano, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Beano

Beano Registered

Cheers Paul, you're welcome Mate.

I am looking into designing a drum-type slipring, but also playing with wireless button interface and inductive charging. I will post more on that in the near future.

Beano

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've had about 2 different types of electronic QR's , both have been a nightmare ( eventually )

I've noticed on the AF forum on Iracing some are now having trouble with theirs, since I got rid of the electronic QR's and simply used a coil wire to USB ( button/paddle connection ) no hassle what so ever & I'll never go back

never notice the coil wire, it's no trouble at all

I realise a very high grade electronic QR is needed in the real world but not necessarily for sim racing

just my opinion

p.s a wireless interface would be even better, if it were zero hassle & cheap, saying that it would need a battery of some kind
    ( I'd still prefer coil cable )

3. Eddy

Eddy Registered

photo's please ;-)

Could you share a photo please Adrian, specially from the wheel with cable mounted on the bodnar?

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

sure, there you go, hope this shows what you want to see

[​IMG]

the coiled cable meets the servo cables & simply plugs into a USB extension straight to the PC,
    when I change steering wheels I simply unplug & plug in new wheel ....takes seconds only

I wear the rift and never bother what the coil cable is doing, no trouble what so ever
    + the beyond money QR is rock solid zero play ....only solution for a servo
    ( other solution is no QR & just bolt on but hassle if you want to change steering wheels )

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  5. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thanks really appreciate it.

6. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

I use electronics from logitech wireless joystick for buttons and paddle shifter.
    Downside of the electronics are it uses
    3 AA batteries and it has quite big foot print..
    I still think its safer to use wireless system than usb cable because if something goes wrong and the wheel starts to spin and there are no physical endstops to stop it.. [emoji33]

7. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

You could replace those 3 AA's with a small 3.3v lipo, that would probably work a bit better.

I like the wireless kb modules because every time you change wheels you are not changing your controller setup/order and mucking the sims configs up.

8. clock

clock Registered

Wow thanks so much beano for that guide...
    I'm thinking in buying/making a OSW due my CSW is broken again 5th time tha motors die ( now outside of warrantie).
    Bought a t300 for the moment to play.

Now i will be waiting your news for osw with ionis x1 board, that i think will be the best option..

I dont have acces to iracing forum to compare small mige vs big mige vs lenze, anybody could put their impresions on them? (Lenze not an option for me due its high price...

Any place where we could buy a osw kit with all pieces and i mount it? (With ionis route and possibility to choose x1 or x4 board) no need rim as i will use my bmw rim from the fanatec..(in europe and sending to mallorca, spain)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  9. Led566

Led566 Registered

Everything arrived to my house, motor, IONI 1x and other components.
    The IONI 1x connectors and pinoputs are different from the IONI4X, I'm trying to sort it out, but, in order not to burn the IONI, I'm waiting for Beano to complete the wiring diagram for the 1X ;)

Thank you in advance!

10. Norseman

Norseman Registered

Hey Beano,

What Rotary encoders or optical sensors do recommend for the steering? i'm going to eventually duplicate all that you've done here on a DIY job, but due to a time crunch I'm under right now, for now I'm adapting a Logitech Driving Force GT board to an old arcade style FFB steering system. I'm looking through the Digi-Key website to order some encoders, but its a bit overwhelming all the options and prices... So any advice along these lines would be a huge help.

11. Bruno Siqueira

Bruno Siqueira Registered

My osw loses the power in some heavy spins, it happens to someone?

12. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Dude... O.O

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just saw this pic now...Is there anyway not to have 20 ft of space between the wheelrim and the base? I'm already going to have to lower my FOV of the the game because of the big motor (screens will be further back from me) but, wow, that huge gap is going to make the distance even larger...

14. Led566

Led566 Registered

Took a long time but...OSW realised with IONI-Pro and IONICUBE 1x ;)

Everything works as expected.
    Thank you Beano and all the people involved in virtualracing.org, racingfr.com and drivingitalia.net

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What's the IONICUBE again?

16. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Its the board with 1 PCI slot where IONI Pro card goes. There's also IONICUBE 4x board for 4 IONI cards, each card could control 1 motor, but I guess that would be for another purpose.

17. Led566

Led566 Registered

Post #3

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think most will be going VR so this will not be an issue,
    saying that a long shaft is not good ( although the servo bearing are very strong -leverage is not a good thing)

I have new fitting + a thinner mech on the back of my formula wheel now so everything much closer to the servo
    ( sold the wheel in pic as the rear of it to big etc )

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I think I heard the same about the IONIzer. Would love info on both.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've posted about it a few times around here, I'll find it.

Here you go...

"The following is what Ollie told me (paraphrased):

SIM-ple for IONI
    The SIM-ple for IONI replaces a lot of the parts you'd normally have to get like the IONICUBE, STM32F4Discovery, braking resistor, SMV2USB, etc. It also reduces the external cabling requirements. It (SIM-ple) is currently being validated, will start to be shipped in a couple weeks, and has a long waiting list as-well.

IONIZER
    Granite Devices make an external power stage product called "IONIZER". Ollie will be modifying it so that it can be used with the IONI. This will allow currents of ~30A at 48V DC which should be good enough to drive the Big MiGe to 30 Nm. It will not be ready in the short-term."

P.S. "IONI" refers to the IONI Pro, and that message was from around July or August of this year.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015