What website does the rFactor 2 community need?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Hello everyone,

I will be finishing school next month, and as a result I'll have a lot of free time on my hands.
    I've decided to spend that time to further develop my webdesign skills, by creating a website for the rFactor 2 community.

I'm basically here to ask you guys.
    What kind of website would you like to see for rFactor 2?
    All suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks in advance.
    Thrindil

2. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

A website dedicated for RF2 only mods would be great. One place to gather all tracks, cars, skins, plugins etc. With cool previews, ratings, direct dl-links etc.

3. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes the above idea is very good (I would add bug reports too), I did make something similar but took it no further, I think because that time was otherwise consumed by the million+ bugs that RF2 does not have, must have all been in my imagination.

Also, a site that lists ALL the leagues on RF2, and can produce a schedule of races across all leagues on RF2 so people can see what races are happening etc, click links to registers etc. There are many leagues that many players do not realise even exist I reckon. So get schedules of all the leagues going on and make one big master schedule to see what is going on in your time zone etc etc.

But most of all, some kind of iRacing lite system for RF2. If you take the iracing system and remove all the stupid licenses and player rating BS (content purchase is not an issue) and just concentrate on listing races and getting players into races. Ideally should be run by ISI using stock content, but could be made in such a way that anybody could run it with any content. Essentially need to be a kind of extension to matchmaker, and would need the click connect (click to race from browser) and would also need some changes to happen with the server to allow for schedules hourly races, and it would need a c++ dedi plugin most likely too depending on how you want to do it. It is a serious undertaking but perfectly doable if thought out properly beforehand and had the necessary co-operation from ISI.

Iracing system is made in 2008 in JSP (Java server pages - a thing of the past). It would be possible I would say in 2015 to make something vastly superior with more modern web technologies (iracing system is good, but clunky and overly complex).

I think a very good thing for RF2 would be to have some activity happening online for new players to get involved with, some kind of entry point micky mouse cup type thing like with iracing but minus all the iRacing BS, scheduled hourly races with ISI content (for legal reasons) the goal would be to increase the numbers of new players staying on with the game, which at present I fear is appallingly low. I expect if you take all the players that came and went over last 3 years and was able to improve the player retention by just a small amount, that would make a massive difference today to the number of players playing. If RF2 was a tennis sim you would be lucky to get a decent game of doubles going online, the players do not stay here for some reason :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  4. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I agree... a mod car/track repository.

Also, I might suggest that if you choose a wordpress system that buddypress could be cool to have driver profiles and league groups and pages.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Very good ideas but that condescending opening sentance probably causes the devs to disregard your post and move to the next one.

Anyways, I have written a mini webserver thing that runs as a windows service that works similar to iRacing's service where a website can interact with the game to get an inventory of content and install/delete content and launch the game. But I sort of abandoned the concept because rF2 lacked the ability to join a server via command line. That is coming back though. The current build has a +connect option (that works on rFactor2.exe and the Launcher) but when you use it it messes up the working dir and then the game can't locate the DataPath. But it should be working perfect in the next build. So a project like you are talking about here will be fully possible. B1K3R has also built a web service that does some of the stuff you talk about. We also need more control over the sessions so the servers can stick to a schedule better. I know you don't believe it but ISI is listening and adding the things we ask for in regards to this topic. When you are respectful you get much farther with them.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This.

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

This? What does that mean?

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It means I agree with Noel, particularly the part of his reply I quoted. :)

9. ralphluthor

ralphluthor Registered

A single place where to finds mods will be very helpful, with rates ecc... but... i think is a little bit hard to maintain. You need to find the resources (the mods), put on the site, rate, make a video ecc... don't expect all the modders will publish their content
    on your site... (and sometimes they don't want their content shared outside of their site/blog).

A site where share setups and times like RSR for AC will be cool...

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

First thing, the 'Join' button shud take u directly to the track.

Tracks and Cars wise, ISI is doing a great job having u just to click once to download and install.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

"This" = +1 = qft = yea, mon = righteous, brother = true dat = I tend to agree with this bloke's assertion = etc etc

12. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Excellent, thank you very much. What does 'qft' mean?

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Make a website where community shares stuff with NO warranties, implied or otherwise. Like a shared blog with what people are doing, setups, good races, combos, etc but nothing to be maintained. People would follow it like a magazine NOT as a reference/resource...

14. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

I would consider helping to fund such an endeavor if it ever became serious as I'm sure others who were able would consider as well.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Right now a join button would be able to join the server and then put you on the car select screen. Once you pick the car you will then be sitting at the monitor ready to race. But actually I think there are some command line options that can even let you skip the car select screen. I need to test that.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

quoted for truth I think.

17. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I am doing my best lol :p

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yep

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

:cool: