Rogue System forum added...

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jun 1, 2015.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Here is a direct link to the developers welcome post.

Rogue System is a hardcore space simulation developed by a former ISI developer you may have known as Scott Juliano. He went by his middle name due to the fact almost everyone else in ISI was named Michael. Now he's going by Michael, because he is from DCI now, not ISI. Clear? Good. :)

Rogue System information:
    Website - http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingersCrossedInt
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/RogueSystem
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/RogueSystemSim
    Reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/roguesystem
    Newsletter - http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/p/newsletter/

And, as a space sim fan myself, I recently uploaded a walkthrough of the startup and undock tutorial from one of the early internal builds to my own YouTube channel (which is mostly space sim fan subscribers, paradoxically). I think it makes for a nice introduction...

2. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Thanks Tim.
    I'm intrigued...

3. trollray

trollray Registered

Looks awesome.
    i'm a fan of falcon 4 and space shuttle mission.
    I like hardcore sims and this one looks pretty great.
    Continue the good work guys ;)
    No doubt, i'll buy it when he get out :p

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It's always nice to see when a dream becomes reality. Best of luck SMJ!

btw, I'm still waiting for Toban... :D

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Sick

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

As a guy who only recently got into space sims, ED, and who's finding some of its aspects to be not hardcore enough, this seems very exciting. Can't wait to see more! :)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sweet, looking forward to this sim, all the best Scott...Michael...Dave

8. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Go get 'em Michael

9. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Thanks all. Going to try and give this my best go :)

If you're interested in a little more, the sound designer for RogSys (his name is Michael Manning), put together this quick "audio tour" the other day to demo some of the latest changes to the engine FX.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was half expecting all external shots and complete silence :p

That's some realistic stuff going on there. I'm not sure if the gameplay is heading in a direction I'd like (from reading a while back) but I think I'll have to look into this a bit more. Good job regardless.

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This is one very interesting project :)
    I see one risk, though - it it's going to be realistic, it may become boring, except for those fascinated with docking and undocking :)

Yes, there is a community of flight sim fans, who pay a lot of attention to procedures and they enjoy it. Will they be interested in the same thing with fictional spacecraft? I don't know. Perhaps you will have to look for ways to allow player skip some things, like the docking computer in X series.

I think the most beloved space game ever made is Freespace 2. It's has new mods made till this day. Other games have mods based on it. And game engine is still being updated. It's not realistic, but it's > raw pure and intense <. Gameplay is really skill based - no auto targeting, no auto locks, just pure dogfight and struggle :)

Sorry for thread hijacking :) Let's not start a discussion about FS2 here - just wanted to show fellow space sim fan where to look for what he probably seeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  12. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Hi.

There will be computer assistance to handle the more low-level tasks. However, for the computer to take-over IT has to manipulate the systems just as the pilot would have to do manually. Nothing in RogSys is faked. So, on order to do that all the functionality has to be working BEFORE computer-assistance can be layered on top. That's what we're looking at here--all the core functionality under manual control. Also, unlike other space shooters, the computer is "just" another system that can be damaged or destroyed. If you lose it, you HAVE to fly manually, just as a real pilot would if auto-pilot was unavailable.

Long story short, under normal circumstances things should be more stream-lined and pilot-friendly. I'm not going to try and mislead anybody though, this is not intended to cater to the twitch shooter crowd. It is meant to provide a study-sim level of control, interaction and system fidelity in a plausible (albeit still sci-fi) setting. RogSys uses proper physics and orbital mechanics; ship systems are based on real-world, extrapolated, counter-parts; ships do not have a 0-100 hull rating and when it goes down they simply blow up, etc., etc.

If you find the start-up and shut-down procedures of DCS or Falcon 4.0 boring, or setting up and performing orbital transfers in Kerbal Space Program or Orbiter boring, then chances are you're going to feel the same about RogSys. As for if the flight/space sim community would enjoy this level of detail on fictional ships--I guess we'll see. ;)

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Reminds me of a project I once had in mind, but it was not in space.
    My solution to the problem of "boring" was that you start with something simple and manual, then advance or upgrade to something more modern and automated.