Sim Racing servo ffb systems : OSW & Bodnar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Do you think really?
    Did they measured anything related??
    No data, no table and he spends 20+ minutes to measure how much the motors weight
    and how long the ferrit-core is that is wrapped around some cables..... jeeez :rolleyes:

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Ah so you don't agree with the final thoughts then ;)

4. VLA

VLA Registered

All 3 wheels represents solid long term decision, and worthy on anyone's sim.
    I found it interesting, that Bodnar out of the box with no software to tinker with...was ...let's say a nose behind
    Also interesting was, 1,2,3 was in line with strengths of motors.

I own a simXperience but not the AF. Knowing the power of the SimCommander, I just wonder with the right balance of adjustments
    for individual car and track .. would the AF wheel shined better in the comparison ...

more importantly.... for me it was a comparison of what to expect with different strengths of motors...and it looks like the stronger the more detail one should expect.

I guess it may come down to individual budget and on that note if your passion is strong enough .... one always finds a way to get what they want.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the AF's hardware is of a lower grade than that of the OSW & the bodnar
    ( AF uses a stepper & the controller boards are not close to the precision of the others) so it really doesn't matter doesn't how long someone tinkers with settings,
    however it seems like a great wheel & a better alternative to the mainstream wheels out there

it surprised me that the OSW is so nicely advanced now it did so well ( I know the hardware componants are top notch ) as the drivers / software etc I thought would take a tad longer to perfect, but the community has done a wonderful job on it & this shinning review is a testiment to them

looking forward to Barry's OSW build project shows, I'm hoping to do same thing next winter, I'll test it and compare to my bodnar and use which I prefer best

6. VLA

VLA Registered

Yes you're right Adrian, forgot about the stepper...... on a side note have you tinkered any more with RF2 jason file

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya VLA

re. jason file -not for a while as I'm awaiting VR support in rf2 (I only use the dk2 now & will purchase the next VR that gets released)
    I'm very much looking forward to it then I'll no doubt stay up all night through a weekend perfecting a profile for my Bodnar ( only using iracing at the moment )

ps a good stepper system can be great but will always fall short of a servo system, I'm sure the AF is a very good wheel

8. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

What data do you need`?

9. traind

traind Registered

Two questions: what does this OSW Barry used-- with that motor--- cost? and does anyone build osw for consumers or is it only do it yourself?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I was surprised the opinion was bettering the OSW -I know I'm a tad biased being a bodnar owner lol

Barry had the bodnar set to 40% I believe, I feel it's better at 80% with in-sim fab turned down this way it's a tad more aggressive & fine detail is amplified a tad I wonder if this would have boosted the bodnars rating a tad

but in any case I'm really happy the OSW had fantastic reviews as I hope to build one in the winter

traind -the main info is in the hardware section of the Iracing forum -if your not a member I think there info elsewhere on the net
    (does someone have the link ?), Olie was doing a kit for about 800 euro or something like that, it looks very easy to put together

the performance to cost ratio is & I think always will be unbeatable I hope it stays as a community project & at these sorts of costs

the AF faired better than I expected, although wasn't surprised it couldn't compete with the servo systems (bodnar & OSW)

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

13. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Beginner set = small mige 1600 €

14. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet (I will), but I'm definitely a bit disappointed he didn't go with the most common (and cheapest) build. It'd be nice if he revisited this idea and gave the budget build a whirl.

15. traind

traind Registered

There is a comment in the youtube page that says the motor in the OSW review build costs $1700 just by itself. Based on this, there is a slight problem with how many people are reacting to the review.

If cost is no object, then the OSW and Bodnar are ahead. In fact, most slightly preferred the OSW in this test. But when you factor in cost, things shift a bit. This OSW build was much higher end than the $800-1000 quotes I am seeing from people on the net. So I don't think you can substitute the performance of the base $1000 OSW for one that costs $2400 or so. The smaller, less powerful motor on the base builds in all likelihood does not perform equally. Yet some people are quickly assuming the OSW trumps all and costs less.

Factor in price and you have a differeent comparison. The OSW in the video may trump the Bodnar by quite a bit on value but it costs another $600 more than the AF and you have to build it. This tightens up the comparison a bit. I suppose the low power OSW may still be better than the AF-- and cost less-- but the review doesn't shed any direct light on this.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

here's some build instructions, but I'd advise asking questions on the Iracing OSW thread as lots of people building them
    +lots of helpful people so you'll not be alone, this looks fairly complex first impression lol

http://www.ascher-racing.com/opensimwheel/

17. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I like that they're basically getting to the point (on the iracing forums) where you can buy a kit that's easy to assemble.

Of course, there's no way to know how the budget (common) build compares to any of these wheels.

18. Miro

Miro Registered

There are other places where you can get all info you need around the OSW, no need to pay some forum access fee.
    virtualracing dot org is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
  19. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Yes, they did use an expensive motor which was a disappointment to many as most will go the osw route with the idea of using the cheaper mige motor.

All I can add here is that the people who have tried the expensive motors with the osw and the cheaper motors on the osw say the more expensive motors are better, but marginally and nothing like reflected in the increased costs.

You certainly can get an OSW with the small mige motor for ~ $1k and add a rim to it, that is as a kit. I guess cheaper if you source it all yourself. That %1k usd included shipping btw.

A few people, just like in Barrys review have tried the AF side by side with the small OSW motor and preferred the osw still, a few sold their AF's and went with the OSW on the basis of the cheaper motor.

20. traind

traind Registered

Good input Metalnwood-- thanks.

It sounds like the cheaper OSW still trumps the AF in feel. I wonder by how much? All the DD wheels must feel great --- in the comparison review it sounded like the AF was still seen as a great wheel but a clear notch below the other two in at the limit detail. If the cheaper OSW is a half notch below the bigger motor one, then the difference to the AF may not be that huge.

The issue isn't just cost of the OSW vs. the AF but also assembly. The OSW with a medium motor sounds really solid for a little bit less money than the AF once you get a rim etc but my personal confidence is low on assembly. Then there is also the issue if something goes wrong, who do you call? Yourself, I guess :eek: The motor should last a very very long time but if something else fails... then there is no one to help track down the issue.