Atlanta Motorsports Park v1.0 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 30, 2015.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Regarding AA-settings InGame: THIS:
    Settings 1 to 3 don´t work!
    Always jump back to no AA at all!
    It´s like this since several builds.
    Maybe interesting:
    In german version level 1-3 is called "Stufe" and level 4 is called "level" !?? "level 4" works! There should be no logical connection to this fact,
    but who knows.....

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

It is not about tunnel. It's about what you have on the screen. Hills, Embankments, half kart rollercoaster uphill visible while you're driving RT, uphills & trees watching the sky etc, T9, 10, 11 and 12 along hills & trees. All these elements are covering LOT of your screen, while the typical element you use as a brightness check is the sky itself.

If you are then asking for more power from the direct light for all tracks here we go again; people will complain because overexposure, glowing whites and colors and the concept of albedo maps will start working bad.

Set up at noon, clean out your track day sky and have fun. :)

3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

delete please

4. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Sometimes level 2 works, sometimes not. Don´t know why. But after starting and leaving the game for one time with the triple set nothing happens after changing the aa level and if i start the setup again i see the old level from before the change. If you don´t know that than you think you set everything correctly, than you will wonder whats wrong there. That was this issue in my system. After deleting the config file, i could adjust everything again.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

For how long?

6. msportdan

msportdan Banned

AI karts in the wet cant stay on the black stuff./// Spinning at every corner

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What does clean out track day sky mean?

My "complaint" (generally) is that the brightness of the sky and clouds is just slightly out of proportion with the ground. When I see a very bright, almost blinding, almost overexposed sky scene, the ground reflections and brightness do not match. It is a small amount less bright looking than one would expect proportional to the sky. So for me, either the sky should be toned down to match the ground or vice versa. Personally, the bright sky looks realistic compared to what I expect on a typical summer day at a track.

But maybe I have some file or remnant that is causing this imbalance? So I am interested in cleaning out my track day sky if that is some sort of reset that might be required.

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

I believe he means set up a cloudless sky if you want it brighter.

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Well I've just had an hour here with 19 AI in the Palatov and my god..... I've found my sim racing nirvana. These two pieces of content compliment each other perfectly.

The track is brilliant in every aspect for me. Awesome, awesome work.

@marc. Last night on my Clio server I set it to overcast and I had the same initial impression "everything seems darker than it should be for this time of day" @ 9am

But just now with the palatov and a 2pm start with partially/slightly cloudy settings the lighting seemed fine to me.

(I'm not saying you're wrong, at all, just adding to the discussion)

10. Pelukas

Pelukas Registered

Zankht o gracias

11. Tuttle

Yeah that what I meant. :)

Just watch the emptybox video @ AMP with similar conditions.

As for the Collins request; guess you are asking for more terrain scattering, which is one of the cause of previous HDR disaster, forcing the terrain and the sky producing numbers we want, based on what we would like to see, instead letting the light/sky engine doing his math and job.

Unfortunately we can't make everybody happy here, which is completely normal tbh.

What we feel and see now is we're happy, we have 90% less complains for the "new" HDR, and we have a good 80/85% of quality third party tracks working flawless, and almost the 100% of ISI tracks working perfect (some very early track still needs a pass)...and that's with the new tonemapper.

You are probably inside that 10% asking for something different which is, again, ok...but as we think this is the best balance we can get with our engine, we are not going to hack that pipeline again to make that 10% happy and jumping back to track to track inconsistency, overexposure, glowing grass, glowing whites etc...

Everybody here would like to see the perfection, unfortunately this is not possible.

Remember our job is to find the best balance to match a HUUUUUUGE field of different variable, different tracks, cars, artists, textures, place around the world, time conditions, time of the day, overcast, cloudy, north, south, east, west... etc etc.

This is why sometimes I'm a bit naive...asking you to just try to enjoy what you have, driving the sim instead asking something different every single time we release a track, or a car, or a shot, or a tweet. Sorry but I've to say...this story about DST and +1/-1 doing a difference for you is laughable, very. Really, who's gonna waste his time about this? Just left your garage and race. If you have enough time to see +1/-1, I'd want more scattering, I'd want less sky brighness, I'd want that and this....means you're too slow or you should start doing the artist, instead the simmer. :)

For my experience, who's searching for perfection will never enjoy anything and he will never close a single project. Someone says...you achieved the perfection not when there is nothing more to add but when there is nothing more to take way...:)

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Surely you are right here Tuttle.
    That´s the curse with modding I guess......

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The new lighting is pretty cool and there are a lot of parameters you can tweak in the material settings to make it look even cooler. What looks a bit strange (unnatural?) is the transition from a very bright object (sky) to a dark object (forest). In nature you would see scattering in the lens (camera objective or human eye doesn't matter), bright light bleeding into the dark areas. Most computer games (especially the so called next "gen sims") make use of post processing effects (bloom) to reproduce this effect. Is there anything in the pipeline in that direction? It's not a must. I'm happy with reshade atm, but not everybody likes to configure walls of text to make it look like they want. :)
    Btw, when I look at the loading screen of Atlanta I see different material settings. Trees have more specular reflection/brightness and less saturation.

Some screen shots for reference.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16552-Community-Screenshots-Thread-%28Edited-Screens-Only%29?p=360894&viewfull=1#post360894

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Couldn't have been said better. :)

15. Tuttle

We are not PostFx lovers. AFAIK we don't have these kind of effects on our list, when it comes to add bloom and glow above the output.

As for loaders they are straight ingame shots with a click of sharpness. Those are shot taken yesterday morning, few hours before the release. Thing you see it's a multiply white to 50% gray gradient layer on top of the shot to get more readability on info panels.

You will see this when we'll release the new loader template.

16. Tuttle

Yes sir.

In my opinion we are not just selling a game in the form of a "closed "commercial product, we are offering a product and a service, which is the complete moddability.

The developer life and the artist life are WAY more tricky because of that, because you literally lose the quality control on your own product. Believe me this is a big one! :)

What we are trying to do now is to normalize as much as possible that infinite amount of variables and the distance between us and modding, limiting a bit more the access to specific graphics aspects (this is to limit the randomness between shots, videos, track to track etc..) and offering more "connections" with third party car and track modders/artists. Also we are working to offer for free, as everything else, new tools, new wiki and documents to help each other in a more efficient way.

Sometimes people tends to forget that big difference between an ISI product and a closed game. :)

17. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Yeah great to see you guys helping (Tuttle and Tim). Inspector at default and everything done by rFactor2. Better performance and looking great. Although i must say the track is kind of a fps killer......running smooth now but on the edge of acceptable fps (~50 with my setup seen under my profile) with 24 AI on track. Tried skippy's and Cobra's.
    Question will the track be more optimized in a future build or did you guys optimize the h*** out of it already.

18. Tuttle

Track is 95% optimized. That missing 5% should give you just few FPS more. I already explained why, few pages back.

In theory you should get back your average FPS, setting 1 click down the Circuit Details, without making the track looking cheap.

This place is tricount fat, because his terrain nature and the big amount of things you need to render all the time, instead to hide as you can do with flat or flowing tracks. Other aspects are pretty the same as other ISI tracks.

Happy to see you solved your setting problems. :)

19. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thnx for your response. on High track details still looking good....very good. Respect for the artists ;)

20. Promag

Promag Registered

Really great, informative thread.