Track Export Settings

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by dradecki, May 19, 2015.

1. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I may have missed this, but I have been searching and I can't find a definitive post that details what setting should be for exporting a track from 3ds Max. Is there such a post or document.

Thanks in advance.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Settings in GMT exporter or what settings do you have in mind?

3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

You need to have the plugins from the devmod package installed in the 3dsmax/plugins directory.
    Then in 3ds max hit the hammer, hit more button, you should then select the GMotor 2.5 one.. (cant recall its name)
    This will open up the Gmotor editor.. where you can then set all the object attributes etc.. In that is a create mesh button and create scene button, you use them to render meshs (Or highlight them all to do them all).. this will then create .GMT files in the specified folder

4. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

5. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I have been working with car mods in rf2 for the past 3 years, so I know what settings in the GMT exporter I need. I am referring to the settings required in the multitude of check boxes and numerical settings in the GMT exporter that should be set to export a track.

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

7. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Thank you Jka.

8. Bink

Bink Registered

9. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Thank you Bink. Man this is more complex then I thought. Is this documented anywhere?

10. djbob

djbob Registered

Documented!? That would be too easy :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the fact you have been doing cars for 3 years but still struggling with tracks is not good news for a novice like me. I'm keeping tabs on all the tidbits of info I can, so - in a few years maybe - I hope to have a document ready. If everyone hasn't given up trying already by then :(

11. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Not really struggling with tracks, just coming up to speed. Any documentation you come up with I sure will be very welcomed in the community.

12. Bink

Bink Registered

Not in one place.... so far as I know.

You may also need to know that the surface normals on your xPlanes have to be pointing in the opposite direction of the track's driving direction. rF detects your laps, pit entry, exit etc.. when the car 'collides' with them (that's why they're set to "collide" in the image I posted). Otherwise, It won't count your laps and provide timing. Import them from another (working) track so you know they're constructed properly.

Easiest way the first time you make a track is to start with a working track (like the 3dsMax file for Joesville), and start swapping out objects in the .scn file with objects from your own track. You can also select items in Joesville, and then go to the material editor, or exporter to see what the settings are.

Best way to find info is to do searches in the forum.... include Jka and / or Mianiak in your search terms if you want to be sure that the info is accurate.

13. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

I am working with ISI Track Team to get some better documentation. The problem is I have been swamped at work for the last 6 months! Long weekend so I plan on getting the modding tools out!