Third-party Palatov D4 (Hillclimb AWD) Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 13, 2015.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Have you looked at the weight of the car? Why wouldn't it be super sensitive being so extremely light weight. :)

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Is steering "wrong" only with 4WD versions? It surely feels bit strange but as front wheels also pull then I'm not surprised. Don't know if there is diff between front and rear. Could imagine there should be and settings in this diff could affect handling quite lot.

3. TJones

TJones Registered

IMO this car is a lot easier to drive than i expected before, looking at that very short wheelbase and light weight. Aero downforce (throu rearwing and undertray/diffusor) might help here. Tyres i found very forgiving, i'm not so sure if you can slide that much in the real one also, got this impression already with the Cobra.
    But i like how you control a slide through small steering adjustments.
    While tyre grip is very high, temps seems to be always very low, mostly lower than 50°C. Also tyre-temp readings, doesn't have the effect i would expect when i change pressure.
    That said, this car is still very fun to drive though!
    I read somewhere, next build should bring the final version of CPM, looking forward to this.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't yet worked out whether it's worse to blindly believe or blindly disbelieve. I'm happy sitting somewhere in the middle, if you don't mind.

5. yusupov

yusupov Registered

"Tyres i found very forgiving, i'm not so sure if you can slide that much in the real one also, got this impression already with the Cobra."

i find this quote interesting; ive always felt this way about ISI tires. its as punishing a sim as any out there but it gives you more slack than any save pCARS (which funnily enough i think is easily most similar to rf2 of the other sims)/ i dont feel like this is new to the CPM, either, though that certainly hasnt made things more difficult (tho the competition tires for the cobra are pretty edgy, i have been driving it on the street tires & am amazed at how 'easy' it is in comparison). this is something that, along with the ffb, which does play off of it very nicely, make rf2 special to me from the just the core driving experience (not considering real road, AI, features, content etc).

i wonder if its only coincidence that both pC & rf2 supposedly have incredibly complex tire models. i know i recall a pC guy saying he was amazed at how much give they found tires have compared to what youd expect & it seems isi found the same w/ their model to me. meanwhile AC & iR have much more grip, AC some slack, iR very little, may be down to tires used though. i think the reason there is a feeling the tires are "too forgiving" may be the way it translates grip % isnt as we feel it in irl, even if the effect is the same. meanwhile AC is obv known here for its high grip level, but i rarely see iracing mentioned even tho imo its just as grippy (non-optimum track conditions). they also have less 'play' in the tires (iRacing the least, tho how much of this is the tires used i dont know). i wonder if its not a 'simpler' (imo cruder) way of interpreting the data, with rf2 giving you enough rope to hang yourself & iR being more like the guilliotine (with pCARS & AC being, uh...community service?? ya idk ill stop)

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

It is not about drivability, but a deadly steering physic.

This lightweight car and how the steering is simulated would catapult you in the space.
    Drive out of the box in Malaysia where i did or anywhere where you have less room and turn around in circles in the pit area with full lock and apply just as much throttle that it moves but not slips.

Leave out the drive train the works like open diff. Inner rear stands still and turns just on the patch with less to no radial movement.

Very realistic and logical i agree.

Steering overdrives mechanically........ point !

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  7. matf1

matf1 Registered

Hey Speed.

I noticed this when spinning at high speed. Keep the throttle floored and it spins on the patch, as you say.
    I'd presumed that it must be either the team ran out of time to complete the physics spectrum, or they were happy the car works as intended when driven within a reasonable scope.
    This is version 1.0, so let's see what updates bring. Until then, I have to say I'm enjoying driving this car immensely, it fits so well on a variety of tracks.

*About your original comments, I failed to comprehend your meaning after reading 3 or 4 times and couldn't understand what you meant specifically.
    Now I understand and agree.

I'd be very happy to read articles from someone such as yourself, discussing the things that simulators do well and do poorly. Something that simracing desperately needs imo, more intelligent people with real world experience, showing us what is good, bad and ugly!

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

So nobody responds to you and you decide to have a problem? I think I'm done with this childish behavior and your attempts at turning the forum into a kindergarten. Long term ban. It's just getting boring to read the rants from you, and the arguments it seems you want to have between you and yourself.

Just a quick tip for others, if you have feedback, give time for people to respond before you start acting like this. Or, just don't do it at all. speed1 has a problem I'm just not prepared to try to cure.

Why can't someone who has a question just ask a bloody question without acting like they're entitled to the world for asking?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, he was talking about the turning circle. At full lock he's doing circles that actually stop the inside rear from having to turn at all (so the car pivots around that position on the track). In his opinion this is obviously wrong, a joke in fact. Unfortunately now he can't reply and tell us what reference he had to know that it's wrong. Ah well.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks Tim...

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Thanks Tim!

12. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

I think this was a good one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Awesome video. I actually forgot Drive used to be a cool channel.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I totally forgot about this video and this series of videos in general Pretty good stuff. If only we didn't live in the society we do. A show like this or especially Best Motoring (Japanese show) would be amazing, but would be too boring, and technical/deep for the mass majority of North Americans (and possibly even British as well, but they're better than N.A. that's for sure). It sucks that everything in N.A. has to be about attitude, fireworks, and flash; everything has to be a "show" - a piece of entertainment (which usually includes little actual substance) - rather than something pure and technical. A show like Best Motoring would be cut off TV here after 3 episodes as everyone would consider it too technical and a boring snooze-fest. Heck, almost all car lovers love to race cars and go fast, but only a tiny percentage of car lovers actually like racing if you know what I mean. You talk to 99% of "car lovers" about something like corner-entry technique after setting a slightly stiffer value for the front slow dampers and they will be yawning withing 10 seconds and not even care or have any idea what you're saying. Such a dumbed-down society most of us live in.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  15. Jyyka Pihtari

Jyyka Pihtari Registered

Blame tv-producers who think people are dumb.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Totally agree. Over the years I've realized there are two categories. "Car Enthusiasts" and "Driving Enthusiasts". I consider myself a Driving Enthusiast. I am more interested in the details of how a car "drives" more so than the looks. I can find enjoyment driving any car to the limit. I don't like DBW, PSM, DSG, TC and all that BS even if it could technically make the car faster. I want to drive the car not the car drive me. A car enthusiast is all about these new double clutch gear boxes that can shift faster than a human because the raw 1/4mi times are better. They wouldn't have a clue what spring rates, free lengths and block sizes are or what the difference between bump and rebound is. They would buy rims before anything else. They will spend a ton of money on rims but not be able to tell you what tires they have off the top of their head without looking.

It seems driving enthusiasts are the minority.

I suspect these groups of people would play out like this:
    Driving enthusiasts: rF2
    Car enthusiasts: pCARS

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ok. I've been trying for the last minute to think of those acronyms and what they stand for.

Double Boost Wallop

Perfectly Sensible Motorcar

Dynamic Sensible Gearing

Traction Control...

I loved watching those Best Motoring shows, the ones people put on youtube. Even if the subtilting was sketchy. Sad to see even a show like 5th Gear which used to have a little bit more of an actual fast/race drivers view seems to have tailed off.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

DBW = Drive By Wire
    PSM = Porsche Stability Management
    DSG = Direct Select Gearbox
    TC = Traction Control

All stuff that takes the fun out of driving.

19. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I'm not an engineer but keep in mind that the D4 has a patent pending suspension? Maybe, I'm making a fool of myself here but maybe it is the answer you're looking for?

Ok, you got me! I'll stand over there in the corner and cry for a while now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Not for me! I for one have more fun shifting like lightning and push through entry of a Autobahn
    with 4 wheels driven perfectly through automatic system, than fiddling with this antiquated H-shifter-clutch-crap on a car that behaves like a stagecoach!
    And in your description I would call myself a "driving enthusiast".
    Never understood why many (most of the time older) people think modern cars have nothing to do with driving,
    or texts like "Thats true driving for real man...bla" ----------> BS! Thats dumb-driving for retarded.
    In a proper car there should be no need for shifting, a proper car should not base on techniques that are more than 100 years old!
    Cars - especially race-cars, are supposed to be a technical, innovating and scientific thing.
    Just my few Petro-Dollars :D